So, what's the GOP doing about jobs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for the ad hom. It's the last refuge of the argumentatively beaten.

Media Matters? Yeh, I know you can't read that stuff- it'd pollute your precious bodily fluids, maybe even cause hysterical blindness.

Well, you seem to kinda have that, anyway...

Yes, you know media matters, the Moveon.org/ Soros funded site. The one even PBS will no longer link to?
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/mediamatters/

You put such a blatant anti-conservative/GOP hate site in a link and expect any reasonable person to think it's a balanced site?

This thread asked what the GOP was doing about jobs, which is the reason I linked the GOP site. Why ask the GOP a question if you don't want the GOP to answer it?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Yes, you know media matters, the Moveon.org/ Soros funded site. The one even PBS will no longer link to?

You put such a blatant anti-conservative/GOP hate site in a link and expect any reasonable person to think it's a balanced site?

This thread asked what the GOP was doing about jobs, which is the reason I linked the GOP site. Why ask the GOP a question if you don't want the GOP to answer it?

So, you got any links to a non-partisan site that refutes the claims that are made?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It seems that we're fixated on the concept of government creating jobs. In the short term it may but the fundamental problem we face are not resolved by funding. Like healthcare we ought to have a critical analysis of the state of the economy with the emphasis on establishing long term opportunities. In this government can play a role as a facilitator working with business for the benefit of our nation as a whole. Unfortunately there is neither the wit or resolve to put aside partisan considerations for a sensible and workable policy to be created and put in place. Both parties suck at that

You know I bet nobody in Washington ever thought about critically analyzing health care or the state of the economy in terms of long term opportunities. Let's dial our congressmen and let them know.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You mean that refutes or supports the claims that are made? You wouldn't want to look like a mindless partisan that had already made up your mind would you?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/republicans-see-jobs-bills-election-winner-061019312.html

You could always just look at regular news sites.

Watching the Republicans complain about Senate obstructionism is pretty rich, I have to say I enjoyed reading that.

Also, did you read your own article? While it's is mostly just engaging in 'he said, she said', it offers a fair amount of evidence to show that what the Republicans are touting as 'jobs bills' wouldn't create jobs. In fact there's not a single quote there from a non-Republican party entity that claims their 'jobs bills' would create jobs.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Given that you linked propaganda central, the GOP site, it seemed appropriate to link a truly opposing viewpoint.

Perhaps you'd care to link someplace sponsored by the Koch, Scaife, Coors or Bradley foundations in rebuttal... Not to mention that asking Repubs what they're doing about jobs is like asking a fox what he's doing in the henhouse.

Their Cut, cut, Cut! attitude wrt govt spending is an obvious job killer, particularly at a time when total govt spending is in the sewer already-

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/austerity-recovery-continued/

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You mean that refutes or supports the claims that are made? You wouldn't want to look like a mindless partisan that had already made up your mind would you?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/republicans-see-jobs-bills-election-winner-061019312.html

You could always just look at regular news sites.

From the link above;

"I have yet to see a single one that was actually a jobs bill," said Norm Ornstein, a congressional scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative Washington think tank.
"Everyone of these, as far as I can tell, is basically from decades-old conservatives playbook of cut taxes for business, cut regulations for business," Ornstein said.

A conservative spells it out perfectly.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Given that you linked propaganda central, the GOP site, it seemed appropriate to link a truly opposing viewpoint.

Perhaps you'd care to link someplace sponsored by the Koch, Scaife, Coors or Bradley foundations in rebuttal... Not to mention that asking Repubs what they're doing about jobs is like asking a fox what he's doing in the henhouse.

Their Cut, cut, Cut! attitude wrt govt spending is an obvious job killer, particularly at a time when total govt spending is in the sewer already-

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/austerity-recovery-continued/

Normally I don't link to those types of sites because they're such bullshit. I did in this case since the frigging topic name actually asked what the GOP was doing about jobs.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I like the sound of cutting taxes and regulations on business to stimulate jobs. The fact that you don't is just an indication of your political affiliation.

So can you find us some evidence that cutting these particular taxes and regulations will stimulate jobs, preferably to a greater extent than other actions we might take?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I like the sound of cutting taxes and regulations on business to stimulate jobs. The fact that you don't is just an indication of your political affiliation.

Taxes, particularly at the top, are at their lowest point of the post-WW2 period- so where the hell are the jobs?

If you had the vaguest idea of what a debt/deflation spiral is, I wouldn't even need to ask that question.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-obama-corporate-taxes-20120222,0,4725599.story

"Obama proposes lowering corporate tax rate to 28 percent"

Looks like the GOP isn't the only one that wants to lower taxes to stimulate jobs.

and look the first comment is about socializing the petroleum industry! That's got to make you a happy boy.

Hey if all corporations paid that 28%, I'd be all for it. But when a third of corps pay no taxes, does it matter what the rate is?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-obama-corporate-taxes-20120222,0,4725599.story

"Obama proposes lowering corporate tax rate to 28 percent"

Looks like the GOP isn't the only one that wants to lower taxes to stimulate jobs.

and look the first comment is about socializing the petroleum industry! That's got to make you a happy boy.

Once again, did you read your own article? Obama wants to lower rates but close loopholes. He is not actually calling for lower corporate taxes.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Hey if all corporations paid that 28%, I'd be all for it. But when a third of corps pay no taxes, does it matter what the rate is?

Gasp! Do you mean the rate isn't as important as the number of loopholes, exceptions, subsidies, etc. that allow targeted companies from avoiding paying the actual published rate? Wasn't there another President that lowered the rate, but also eliminated loopholes and tax shelters? I can't recall his name.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Gasp! Do you mean the rate isn't as important as the number of loopholes, exceptions, subsidies, etc. that allow targeted companies from avoiding paying the actual published rate? Wasn't there another President that lowered the rate, but also eliminated loopholes and tax shelters? I can't recall his name.

But he didn't really eliminate the loopholes, because Congress just makes more, paid for by the corps lobbyists.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
But he didn't really eliminate the loopholes, because Congress just makes more, paid for by the corps lobbyists.

And you think Obama is going to be any different? Why would you think that? He's already proven himself a corporate whore, what's going to change?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
And you think Obama is going to be any different? Why would you think that? He's already proven himself a corporate whore, what's going to change?

They're all corporate whores in some way, it'll never change until the voters wake up, and I doubt that'll ever happen.

Corporate welfare is the biggest welfare problem in the U.S.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

mono, mono, mono when are you ever going to learn? A democrat corporate whore is always better than a republican corporate whore and twice as much on Sundays. :rolleyes:

Honestly, though this back and forth with soundforbjt is extremely entertaining.

/popcorn