So what is wrong with the Nexus 4?

scaramoosh

May 4, 2012
Why is it benchmarking worse than the Optimus G? Why is the screen quality slightly worse with the washed out colours?Why is the build quality a little bit suspect?

I know it is a cheap phone compared to the rest but it is basically an Optimus G and that phone got praised for the hardware and scored well, when the Nexus 4 seems to be lagging and the hardware being slated.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
It's a $300 phone. Beggars can't be choosers. A steal with a good GSM prepaid carrier.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
I would have thought that the Nexus 4 would sport an amazing display because it was made by LG.

LG is known for their display products.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I think the intended differences between the G and Nexus 4 were limited to LTE, camera and storage size.

The reactions to the reported issues are outrageous, as if the phone was intended to have a worse display, poor build quality and a overheating chip.
While that makes absolutely no sense, I am worried about when the issues will be addressed. I simply can't accept that this is the final product.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I think only one review I've read has said the display is washed out, others are saying it's great. As far as the low scores go I'm hoping that's just a driver issue, I was going to buy this when it launched but supposedly there is a patch coming out shortly before then so I'll wait and see how that pans out.

For example look here:
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/google-nexus-4-review-50009629/
and here
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review/
and here
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review-not-exactly-perfect-but-close-enough-for-me/
and here
http://updates.gizmodo.com/post/34831233868/google-nexus-4-review-yes-you-want-this-phone-by

These were all pretty positive about the device overall, and three of them say the display is amazing, theverge had the most negative review I've seen of the phone and that was still an 8.3 so that's not really that bad.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I would have thought that the Nexus 4 would sport an amazing display because it was made by LG.

LG is known for their display products.

From what we know so far, it is pretty amazing. It tops Anand's charts for contrast ratio and has the blackest blacks of any LCD screen. I don't know if the rest of the screen is as good as what we already know, but we'll probably know soon once the full AT review comes out.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
How unwieldy is this thing going to be with a case? That glass back is disconcerting...

scaramoosh

May 4, 2012
That back is GG2 like the screen and unlike what the iPhone had for its back glass which was weaker and it takes a lot to scratch and break it.

I don't see why ppl buy into covers, I mean I use a cover for when I throw it in my bag cause it'll rub up against other things. However for general use in your pocket and that... what is the point?

I bet that back panel which comes off very easily costs the same as a case to replace so scratch it all you want.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
That back is GG2 like the screen and unlike what the iPhone had for its back glass which was weaker and it takes a lot to scratch and break it.

I don't see why ppl buy into covers, I mean I use a cover for when I throw it in my bag cause it'll rub up against other things. However for general use in your pocket and that... what is the point?

I bet that back panel which comes off very easily costs the same as a case to replace so scratch it all you want.

Umm the back is non-removable. Also how does someone not understand why people buy covers? Do you ever pull your phone out of your pocket? Also a reviewer dropped his N4 and cracked the back glass in his review.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Umm the back is non-removable. Also how does someone not understand why people buy covers? Do you ever pull your phone out of your pocket? Also a reviewer dropped his N4 and cracked the back glass in his review.

It's 2 screws on both the iPhone 4/4S and the Nexus 4, which is why I don't understand the anxiety. Anyone could replace it themselves.

Feb 19, 2001
It's 2 screws on both the iPhone 4/4S and the Nexus 4, which is why I don't understand the anxiety. Anyone could replace it themselves.

given the high possibility of dropping and cracking, that's not everyone's first idea. they want to prevent the accident.

It's a $300 phone. Beggars can't be choosers. A steal with a good GSM prepaid carrier.

Stop making excuses like these. If you have the same hardware, you better properly validate your design so your phone doesn't overheat or bench like crap. You also should be calibrating your screen. If what LG did for the Optimus G is not acceptable to Google, then they should be performing some sort of alternative calibration that at least doesn't suck ass. We certainly need more details though. Perhaps a more objective screen test like by Displaymate.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also how does someone not understand why people buy covers?

I've never used one. Part of my criteria for using a device as a 'daily driver' is that if it requires a cover, it is out by default. That's not to say I haven't dropped my phone, but if you avoid buying phones with horrible build quality it won't be an issue.

Also a reviewer dropped his N4 and cracked the back glass in his review.

That to me took the phone from no brainer to absolutely no chance. The limited storage kind of sucked, the lack of LTE wasn't an issue at all(would be a big one if it were CDMA), but the glass back takes a device and instantly turns it into garbage for me. Phones take abuse, the least amount of glass you can possibly get away with should always be used.

Feb 19, 2001
I've never used one. Part of my criteria for using a device as a 'daily driver' is that if it requires a cover, it is out by default. That's not to say I haven't dropped my phone, but if you avoid buying phones with horrible build quality it won't be an issue.

That to me took the phone from no brainer to absolutely no chance. The limited storage kind of sucked, the lack of LTE wasn't an issue at all(would be a big one if it were CDMA), but the glass back takes a device and instantly turns it into garbage for me. Phones take abuse, the least amount of glass you can possibly get away with should always be used.

Phones take abuse but you refuse to use a cover? A cracked glass back on an iPhone isn't acceptable but my Nexus S and its scratched back is acceptable to you? Covers take the beating, but at what point do you define it as necessary or unnecessary?

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The back glass wouldn't bother me, but it's not as easily replaceable as the iPhone 4/4S is. I won't two years without cracking my back glass on my i4, and when I did, it was $30 to replace it, same cost as a case at most retail stores.

scaramoosh

May 4, 2012
I've personally never dropped a phone, I don't think I ever will because I understand the value of it and always hold it tight or put it on a surface. I've never had scratches on any of my phones that I haven't had a case, in fact when I had the iPhone 4 I put a case on it and it just scuffed up the metal rim.

I just don't see the point in them, I bought my mother an iPad 2 for her birthday the other year and she has dropped and dented that so many times and the glass hasn't got a single mark on it. I fine it hard to believe GG2 can crack from knocking off the table, the only worry is with whatever they've put into the glass on the back, that it's made it weak and can cause cracks to develop easier.

If the issues turn out to be software and it's all fixed and good then I'll purchase it, I'm not going to get it atm though because the quality nore performance seems to be there. However for £280 if the performance is there and it is good enough then it is a worthy cheap upgrade from my GS2, I'll then get my free upgrade from my Network in April and just sell that phone and make a profit.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
If most people use covers then why spend so much attention worrying about glass backs and such. Just make it look decent, have some amount of durability, and basically cut some cost there.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
given the high possibility of dropping and cracking, that's not everyone's first idea. they want to prevent the accident.

Stop making excuses like these. If you have the same hardware, you better properly validate your design so your phone doesn't overheat or bench like crap. You also should be calibrating your screen. If what LG did for the Optimus G is not acceptable to Google, then they should be performing some sort of alternative calibration that at least doesn't suck ass. We certainly need more details though. Perhaps a more objective screen test like by Displaymate.

Fair enough on everything else, but Everywhere i've looked says the screen is great. So I don't know what you're talking about there. Also, the optimus G can't even complete the bench that made the nexus 4 throttle.

Feb 19, 2001
Fair enough on everything else, but Everywhere i've looked says the screen is great. So I don't know what you're talking about there. Also, the optimus G can't even complete the bench that made the nexus 4 throttle.

I thought I heard the screen was great, but then I saw some people here and one other review talking about the screen being washed out. Not sure if that's purely subjective or comparing to SAMOLED screens which are obviously oversaturated. I think if the screen is as good as the Optimus G's screen then I'm fine. I was speaking under the assumption that it was a step below the Optimus G. I don't believe in making excuses because the phone is $300. That's the pricing model Google chose to follow, and they've said it themselves they want to compete with $600 phones. Meaning they need to go head to head.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Phones take abuse but you refuse to use a cover?

Precisely. Don't buy phones that are designed horribly, won't be an issue.

Do you buy covers for your car tires?
Do you buy covers for your shoes?

http://library.thinkquest.org/08aug/00578/motorola-bag-phone.jpg

That was my first cell phone. I've never used a cover, never regretted not using a cover.

A cracked glass back on an iPhone isn't acceptable but my Nexus S and its scratched back is acceptable to you?

Absolutely, why would that even be a question? One is a matter of vanity, the other a question of injury/functionality.

Dec 30, 2004
ugly phone. Don't like the curved top/bottom. Prefer rectangles. Angles are aesthetically easier on the eyes.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
The phone is far from ugly. Cases are for clumsy people and screen protectors feel awful when you run your finger against the screen unless you buy a expensive one

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I thought I heard the screen was great, but then I saw some people here and one other review talking about the screen being washed out. Not sure if that's purely subjective or comparing to SAMOLED screens which are obviously oversaturated. I think if the screen is as good as the Optimus G's screen then I'm fine. I was speaking under the assumption that it was a step below the Optimus G. I don't believe in making excuses because the phone is $300. That's the pricing model Google chose to follow, and they've said it themselves they want to compete with $600 phones. Meaning they need to go head to head.

I also just looked at the GPU bench on AT as well. Ignoring the Optimus G cause it can't complete a proper run.

The Nexus 4 is still much faster than than Adreno 225 and wipes the floor with every other android phone. So I don't know how much actual throttling is going on, but it's not bad enough to make the phone a slouch.

As for the CPU benches. That must be software. We will see once the phone is launched.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
The phone is far from ugly. Cases are for clumsy people and screen protectors feel awful when you run your finger against the screen unless you buy a expensive one

I'd argue that the Nexus 4 is the first Google/Nexus phone which seriously paid attention to design. The G1, Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus all felt cheap and always paled in comparison to the iPhone of that era. But the Nexus 4 looks every bit as good as the iPhone 5 (with the added benefit that if the glass breaks, it can be replaced, but if the rim of the iPhone 5 gets dented, you're screwed).