So what is the USB and firewire on a PS2 for?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Can I plug in my USB steering wheel for my pc and have it work with GT3?

What kinds of USB devices can you plug in there?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Firewire is also known as "i-Link" which lets you hook up one PS2 to another.

The USB port lets you hook up a KB/Mouse or a USB ethernet card

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The USB ports can be used for keyboards or certain other peripherals. I've only ever used it to plug in my PS2 racing wheel to play GT3. As for the firewire connection, isn't it used to link 2 PS2's together to play certain multiplayer games?

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
The SharkPort transfers data over the PS2's USB port too.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Yes, the firewire port allows you to link PS2's with games that'll support it. I know that GT3 has an option for an i.Link battle where you can actually hook up to 4..or was it more...PS2's with 4 TV's. Time Crisis 2 also allows for i.Link networking so you can have 2 players with 2 screens like in the arcade, rather than squeezing the two screens on one TV.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
sony told everyone that would listen that the ps2 would become the center of all electronic devices in the house and they stuck usb and firewire on it to try to prove it.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
sony told everyone that would listen that the ps2 would become the center of all electronic devices in the house and they stuck usb and firewire on it to try to prove it.

I don't remember them saying that. :) The Xbox has a USB port but you can't use regular devices and a ethernet port for networking. You could say the same thing about that.

benliong

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by: rockyct
Originally posted by: ElFenix

I don't remember them saying that. :) The Xbox has a USB port but you can't use regular devices and a ethernet port for networking. You could say the same thing about that.

I think Sony said something like "PS2 is going to be the first step in the direction of being center for all electronics entertainment system. PS3 would be the result". Some game have their own equipment that uses the USB port. For example, SOCOM has the Headset that uses USB, Time Crisis has the usb gun...

xbox has the non-standard plug for usb plugs, but otherwise it's the same thing. they did that because they want to not let people just use any cheap usb device available. They want the money to themselves, or amoung very limited number of friends.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
So can I connect my USB driving wheel?

Why don't you just plug it in and find out? It isn't going to hurt anything.

My guess is it will NOT work.