So what is the most played non-browser based MMO games these days?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
The answer as already noted, WoW.

I retired from EQ a year or two ago after 12 some-odd years ...

The only MMO that I'm waiting on is Pantheon, which looks to be shaping up.

Alpha stage is supposed to be around the turn of this year, and I'll probably check it out first hand then (with a $100 donation to do so). Beta will probably stretch through 2016 with a formal release in 2017.

Why would I (pay $100 for alpha/beta access?) Because from (what little) I've seen so far ... it reminds me of a modern EQ1 and that's what I want.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I was a beta tester for Ultima Online way back in the day. I miss that game.

Dave

its still going, you don't have to miss it. i also enjoyed it till it turned into roaming gangs that ganked anything when it left the safe zones. It ended up you had to join the gankers, or the ganker patrols and here and there get a few minutes of game play in.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
WoW is the most played MMO, and is pretty casual these days, and has a lot to allow players with not a lot of time to still see a fair amount of content. It isn't quite as much of a time sink as it was.

Elder Scrolls Online is a good game, more story driven than WoW, and I think a fair amount of people still play it. Also, I think if you like the Elder Scroll franchise, you will probably enjoy it a little more.

Star Wars:The Old Republic has dwindling numbers, and it the most single player game that is an MMO, imo. However, the story is pretty good and if you are a Star Wars fan, pew-pewing with the blasters, and schwoom-schwooming things with light sabers is pretty fun. Went free to play and a lot of kind of necessary things are now behind a paywall. Subbing gets you these things, and you can still pay real money to get items, etc.

Guild Wars 2 is a very pretty game, with a fair amount of people still playing it. Lots of customization of your characters look, and some really cool ways of handling crafting, bank storage etc. Added bonus is no sub fee.

Rift is free to play, which means it has a lot of stuff you can (only) get in the shop with real money. I never made it to the end game stuff, but it is also very pretty game, has the one of the best player housing set ups ever, and is fun.

Finally, Wildstar, which i don't think too many people play anymore, and will soon be going free to play, but like SWTOR, will give you 'extras' if you want to sub. Most cartoony looking MMO i have played, but the dialogue and overall feel is way more snarky and funny. Has the second best player housing setup, with a lot of customization you can do to your own personal "space".

Also, i googled and found this, which has a lot of the games I mentioned:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/11/perfect-ten-the-top-10-healthiest-live-mmos/