So what is the deal with display calibration /sRGB?

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
Just got my OP3. So far so good. Really love it.

I remembered from anandtech review than an sRGB mode can be enabled. They (Brandon) made it out to be a big deal.

Now, tastes differ, but this sRG mode is terrible. Looks.. Really, really, really washed out. So what gives?
I know now to be sure not to judge a screen before seeing it in person.

If anything, a far bigger pain point should have been brightness. I mean it's more than enough for me, but it would be noticeable if it was better (lowest setting looks quite good though, for reading in bed).

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Most screens are calibrated by default to look good, not accurate, much like most people prefer sound which has had the bass and treble cranked up, rather than a flat eq.

I used to be a purist about these things but I care less as time goes on, I just want a screen that pleases me.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just got my OP3. So far so good. Really love it.

I remembered from anandtech review than an sRGB mode can be enabled. They (Brandon) made it out to be a big deal.

Now, tastes differ, but this sRG mode is terrible. Looks.. Really, really, really washed out. So what gives?
I know now to be sure not to judge a screen before seeing it in person.

If anything, a far bigger pain point should have been brightness. I mean it's more than enough for me, but it would be noticeable if it was better (lowest setting looks quite good though, for reading in bed).

I don't remember making a big deal out of it

take it back

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I have no intention of arguing. I'm just curious if there are some legitimate reasons for preferring that "less vivid" calibration. Because it looks absolutely terrible to my eyes.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I have no intention of arguing. I'm just curious if there are some legitimate reasons for preferring that "less vivid" calibration. Because it looks absolutely terrible to my eyes.

Maybe for photography. The photographer might want the final photo edit to look the same on most screens and doesn't want their display out of calibration so they can see what the photo really looks like. Although this is assuming that the "less vivid" calibration setting on that particular device really is accurate to a standard calibrated display.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Non-calibrated screens look awful, especially those with white balances so heavy into the bluish side.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Non-calibrated screens look awful, especially those with white balances so heavy into the bluish side.
this is the main thing for me too. looking at devices side by side, you can really tell how the colour temperature / white balance is way too cold (bluish) or warm (yellowish). I don't mind a little cool or a little warm, but it's often just way too much.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It makes me smile that everything had to be calibrated to a perfect white balance but now the big thing is a variable white balance depending on the time of the day!

Seven

Jan 26, 2000
I just received the phone and enabled the sRGB mode and it does look terrible, very greenish I would say.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I just received the phone and enabled the sRGB mode and it does look terrible, very greenish I would say.

I have a factory calibrated Dell UP2414Q and run it in the Adobe RGB color space normally and it looks great. I just tried switching to the sRGB color space and it does, indeed, look greenish.

I would guess that since this is factory calibrated, its a fairly accurate depiction.

Your eyes do get used to stuff, though. If I ran it in sRGB for a week then switched back, Adobe RGB would probably look overly reddish.

sammykhalifa

Dec 26, 2014
It's because we're all conditioned to overly-bright and saturated screens they way they come from the store. They have been doing that for years because each manufacturer wants to look good next to the competition (going back to the days when you'd walk into a Sears to pick out a TV). View a properly calibrated one for a while and the other ones will start to look wonky instead.