so what do you thnk about fallout 4 compared to previous fallouts?

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
So what do you like and dislike about Fallout 4 compared to previous Fallouts, including Fallout 1 and Fallout 2?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The only annoying thing about fallout is that they never fixed very basic core engine problems,driving around in the car in fallout 2 while having turbo enabled would make you jet over the map and in fallout 4 you still get screwed up physics when you run it over 60fps...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think they removed or watered down every RPG aspect of the series by the time 4 came out. I couldn't even finish it. I thought the world was well build and immersive, but there simply wasn't enough for me. I don't want to play a game where my character is good at everything and I get the best items right off the bat.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
How is the stuttering in Fallout 4? Does it have microstutter despite showing perfect 60fps like some other Bethesda games on PC?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Honestly I thought it was the worst of the entire core series (1,2,3,nv,4). Dumbed down dialogue (a major negative), simplified perk/skill merger, half-baked settlement building, and the worst ending of the series (and that's saying something). Also thought it lacked the humor the previous games had.

Not a bad game, but NV was better in almost every way

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
If you compare 4 to the base versions of 3 and NV they are all basically the same. You could call them Fallout 3 Episode 1, 2, and 3 and nothing would be lost. That said, I think they are very good games overall and provide a solid time sink and a fun world to explore.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
It is nice but I lost interest. I highly dislike the Sims stuff and after they gutted the dialog there's not much story and things. Also the feeling of "just after the bombing" you get from the environment (and computer logs) when it has been 210 years was annoying.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It was boring and the engine needed more updating.

They should have had a lot more to explore as well. The world was big but most of it is just junk in the way that you need to go around.

Last edited:

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I've never been a fan of the bleak landscape of the game, I always seemed a little depressed after playing this game. To me it was like playing 3 again. I basically stopped playing about 40 hours into the game and am having a hard time even loading it up to play through what remains of the main quest.

I suppose I will just start killing everything I see now until I beat the game.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
It is nice but I lost interest. I highly dislike the Sims stuff and after they gutted the dialog there's not much story and things. Also the feeling of "just after the bombing" you get from the environment (and computer logs) when it has been 210 years was annoying.

That seems to be a thing of the modern games, Fallout 1 and 2 weren't like that. The houses and streets in FAllout 1 and 2 were clean. You'd see the occasional car wreck but that's it. THe homes were mostly tidy with a few boxes/crates.

People in Fallout 3 onwards must be pod people because they still have human remains in their homes from 200 years ago, not to mention bits of junk just lying in the middle of their rooms. Lazy design if you ask me. It seems even worse in Fallout 4. Most of them haven't even bothered to patch their roof. Winter must be a bitch.

Last edited:

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
I liked it at first, but I think it was the "newness" as it completely wore off to the point of me just stopping as far as playing it.

I like to explore in these games, and I just lost interest fairly quickly. I got about 34ish hours of gameplay and then went back to the other games (not new) that I play.

It was fun while I played it, I just enjoy other games more. Definitely looking forward to replaying The Witcher 2 and 3.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
If you compare 4 to the base versions of 3 and NV they are all basically the same. You could call them Fallout 3 Episode 1, 2, and 3 and nothing would be lost. That said, I think they are very good games overall and provide a solid time sink and a fun world to explore.

I think that's pretty accurate. Fallout NV and 4 essentially polished up Fallout 3. Love the settlement thing in Fallout 4. Could use some polish but love it. How they merged/dumbed down skills and perks was good too.

I love/loved them all.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Worst of the lot. the settlement building is a good idea but they did a terrible job at it.

the world is fucking tiny. Also so many repetitive quest.

I wasn't happy with it. Also it seemed no matter the choice you were given it really doesn't seem to matter.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I just uninstalled it. I only got to around lvl 20 and it wasn't holding my interest.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I like it just as much as I liked Fallout 3. Admittedly, I spent more time modding Fallout 3 than I did actually playing it. The main reason was because it kept crashing, official and unofficial patches couldn't fix it (and my system wasn't over-clocked at the time, haven't touched OC'ing in 7+ years by now). So I essentially forced myself to keep it installed to complete my mod, and once done I uninstalled it, and one day (months later) went on YouTube to watch the ending (original one). The constant crashing literally kept me away from it. I never bought New Vegas, due to the fear of crashing, so I went on YouTube again and watched a few "Let's Play"s until its ending.

So far, after 88 hours in my Fallout 4 game, I've had one crash, and only few minor game hiccups (floating corpses, weird physics of bodies especially in water, enemies spawning inside rocks or underground, A.I. getting stuck on impassable terrain with repeating animations, the usual Bethesda-flavored glitches) in rather low numbers. But, overall, Fallout 4 (at least for me) has been the most stable game that Bethesda ever managed to conceive, and for me that's saying a lot. There is no precedent for me. The only other decently-stable game from them I played was the original XBOX version of Morrowind, which occasionally froze from time to time, but was overall playable nonetheless.

So, generally speaking I can't really compare Fallout 4 well enough to either F3 or NV due to lack of a full game (from start to finish) experience with those two preceding titles. But at least from what I did play of Fallout 3 (which I still really liked, despite the crashing and freezing) I can say that - at the very least - Fallout 4 is just as fun, and this time I get to actually play it because it's a stable game.

The one "major" complaint (the only real one) I have about Fallout 4, however, is that everything there is to find (via exploration) at least on the surface is waaaaaaay too packed / condensed together. The feel of a "wasteland" is barely present when you literally find a new location every 20 meters regardless of the direction you walk to. The map, technically, is supposedly bigger than Fallout 3 (maybe it is, I just haven't looked at the details on that one), but regardless of that fact (it if is) it's still way too small especially considering that it runs on so-called "next gen" (current gen) consoles (that's the common denominator they built the game around for, we know that, but both the PS4 and XBOX One would have been capable to handle way more content especially with a game that still runs on [updated] GameBryo; c'mon Bethesda).

So if anything, I would have liked a much bigger map, in order to have more actual wasteland to have that loneliness feel kick in for more than just 30 seconds of walk time (which is usually interrupted by "Oh, look, I discovered something again, filled up by 15 paroling Raiders; damn son, overpopulation in the Wasteland? who would have thought!). But anyway, overall, I really, really like Fallout 4, and the big mods aren't even out yet (if you guys think what's available right now over at FO4 Nexus is good, wait until the official editor gets out, give it a year or so after that, then we'll start talking).

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I guess I have the unpopular opinion of liking the game... yeah it gets repetitive eventually but I'm level 56 now and haven't done a ton of the main story. If you like Fallout 3, I think you'd like this one.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I like the game, but it's kind of a revamped version of Fallout 3 for some reason. But nonetheless if you like open world, crafting and survival, you'll like this game anyways.

fourdegrees11

Mar 9, 2009
Fallout 1&2 are all time greats that I grew up playing. I havent played 4, but 3 was just re-skinned(bland)/tweaked Elder Scrolls with guns. Very disappointing to a fan of the originals. Sounds like 4 is more of the same.

Playing the new Shadowrun games is 10x more satisfying to me.

The only other decently-stable game from them I played was the original XBOX version of Morrowind, which occasionally froze from time to time, but was overall playable nonetheless.

I probably put 500 hours into that Xbox game. Easily one of the glitchiest games I can remember, and the further you got into the game the more it crashed.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I like it just as much as I liked Fallout 3. Admittedly, I spent more time modding Fallout 3 than I did actually playing it. The main reason was because it kept crashing, official and unofficial patches couldn't fix it (and my system wasn't over-clocked at the time, haven't touched OC'ing in 7+ years by now). So I essentially forced myself to keep it installed to complete my mod, and once done I uninstalled it, and one day (months later) went on YouTube to watch the ending (original one). The constant crashing literally kept me away from it. I never bought New Vegas, due to the fear of crashing, so I went on YouTube again and watched a few "Let's Play"s until its ending.

So far, after 88 hours in my Fallout 4 game, I've had one crash, and only few minor game hiccups (floating corpses, weird physics of bodies especially in water, enemies spawning inside rocks or underground, A.I. getting stuck on impassable terrain with repeating animations, the usual Bethesda-flavored glitches) in rather low numbers. But, overall, Fallout 4 (at least for me) has been the most stable game that Bethesda ever managed to conceive, and for me that's saying a lot. There is no precedent for me. The only other decently-stable game from them I played was the original XBOX version of Morrowind, which occasionally froze from time to time, but was overall playable nonetheless.

So, generally speaking I can't really compare Fallout 4 well enough to either F3 or NV due to lack of a full game (from start to finish) experience with those two preceding titles. But at least from what I did play of Fallout 3 (which I still really liked, despite the crashing and freezing) I can say that - at the very least - Fallout 4 is just as fun, and this time I get to actually play it because it's a stable game.

The one "major" complaint (the only real one) I have about Fallout 4, however, is that everything there is to find (via exploration) at least on the surface is waaaaaaay too packed / condensed together. The feel of a "wasteland" is barely present when you literally find a new location every 20 meters regardless of the direction you walk to. The map, technically, is supposedly bigger than Fallout 3 (maybe it is, I just haven't looked at the details on that one), but regardless of that fact (it if is) it's still way too small especially considering that it runs on so-called "next gen" (current gen) consoles (that's the common denominator they built the game around for, we know that, but both the PS4 and XBOX One would have been capable to handle way more content especially with a game that still runs on [updated] GameBryo; c'mon Bethesda).

So if anything, I would have liked a much bigger map, in order to have more actual wasteland to have that loneliness feel kick in for more than just 30 seconds of walk time (which is usually interrupted by "Oh, look, I discovered something again, filled up by 15 paroling Raiders; damn son, overpopulation in the Wasteland? who would have thought!). But anyway, overall, I really, really like Fallout 4, and the big mods aren't even out yet (if you guys think what's available right now over at FO4 Nexus is good, wait until the official editor gets out, give it a year or so after that, then we'll start talking).

ecBbIVG.png

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
The only Fallout game I've played and am playing now is FONV. Mods can make this game very challenging and glitch free. (Playing in windowed mode seems to help crashes as well. Just have to reconfigure prefs ini to correct screen size, if any is needed.Mine was 1600 x 900) Project Nevada for FONV makes gameplay as difficult as you want. Anyway, modders are completing mods for FO4 as I write.Maybe in a few months FO4 can be configured any way you want. But as I said, I've only played one of these games, so the whole Fallout universe is new to me.

The Wife

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some things are better, some things are worse, some things are a wash.

The inability to truly be evil incarnate was an unfortunate loss.

The scrapping/crafting/settlement feature is a great addition if one chooses to take advantage of it.

The change from skills and perks to a pure perk system is a wash.

Overall a worthy sequel.

Side note: People complaining about the look, I believe FO3 and later are more representative of how a nuclear apocalyptic world would look than 1 or 2. Sure, there are some people who seem unable to remove basic garbage from their homes in FO4, but then again society would likely be very difficult if not impossible to reboot. Humanity has progressed as far as it has in the real world by building on top of the technology that came before it. Global nuclear war wipes out the building blocks. If my life consisted of scavenging 200 year old mashed potatoes to try not to starve, cleaning the papers out of the husk of a building I'm squatting in is probably low on my priority list.