So what do you all do for backups?

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
George Costanza: Beep beep beep back it up
Jerry Seinfeld: What are you doing? Beep beep beep?

So what does everyone here do for backups? Say you have a 1 TB hdd and you want to back up most of the stuff on it. What do you just get another 1TB drive?

Use tape backups? ZIP disks? <---just kidding there

Seriously DVD-R/RW is out that's only what 4.7 GB?

Memory sticks don't have enough storage either do they?

So lay it on me what's your advice to backup Terabytes of data?

Thanks.:cool:

phis6

Apr 1, 2014
You have options, either hard drives, NAS (basically still need hard drives) or get a cloud service. :)

SeanFL

Oct 13, 2005
I use a combination to get it done. Since there is some important data (pictures, business files, etc.) that I don't want to lose, I don't count on just one backup.

Synology NAS attached to the network that backs up the important directories each day.

The Synology backs up to a 2tb drive that is sitting next to it once a week.

Then I copy all of my data to a removable HD using one of these type docks
Anker USB 3.0 and eSata HD dock $39
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UA3I72

Once in a while that gets taken over to another location in case fire or other disaster destroys the originals and backup system.

Sean

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
2x2TB RAID 1

2 separate 2TB backups

more external drives for the 100GB that's the most critical, as in family photos. The rest would suck to lose, but meh. It's just music and video backups of what we own.

edit: I use rsync to do the backup

All my drives are encrypted.

Nothing on a cloud anywhere.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Another hard drive.

With Windows 8 you can set automatic mirroring to a second hard drive. The second drive isn't visible in Windows. So you could plug it in maybe once a day, Windows will backup your stuff, then you can unplug it and put it somewhere safe. I haven't tried it, but it's something to consider.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Also, very important stuff I put in Dropbox.

And every so often I back up the Dropbox folder to an external hard drive, in case their servers somehow delete files accidentally and they can't be recovered.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
I mirror all my data onto a second storage drive in my PC. I have an external drive that I hook up once a month or so to provide yet another copy of my data. HDDs are cheap.

Photos get backed up into cloud storage. My music is slowly getting lossy copied into Google music, up to 9000 songs now.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
1. Onboard storage hard drives
2. NAS
3. External hard drives, some stored off site.
4. Network file server

There should be a sticky for this question about backups since the search function does not appear to be doing the job.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Duplicate data drives in three computers, each with two duplicate OS drives.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
So what does everyone here do for backups? Say you have a 1 TB hdd and you want to back up most of the stuff on it. What do you just get another 1TB drive?

Pretty much. If you want to be safe, get two 1TB disks and keep one off site.

If you have 1200TB of data in a 7ft tall rack of servers in your basement and all 1200TB of that data is valuable, you'll need another 7ft tall rack of servers to back it up.