So.....what are you really expecting from Zambezi cpus?

The performance of the Zambesi CPUs will be like this

• Worse IPC than Phenom II, overall slower, clocks and cores can't save it

• Worse IPC than Phenom II, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores

• Equal IPC as Phenom II, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores

• Worse IPC than Nehalem, overall slower, clocks and cores can't save it

• Worse IPC than Nehalem, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores

• Equal IPC as Nehalem, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores

• Worse IPC than Sandy Bridge, overall slower, clocks and cores can't save it

• Worse IPC than Sandy Bridge, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores

• Equal IPC as Sandy Bridge, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores

• Better IPC than Sandy Bridge, overall faster due to IPC, clocks and/or cores

Results are only viewable after voting.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Here's a thread, to try to catch the vibe of what people feel regarding the performance of the desktop Bulldozer cpus, but this time with a poll, so we can have some hard numbers.

I hope the voting options will be OK. Too many models and too many combinations to list otherwise.

IPC, clocks and cores have been taken into consideration, since otherwise I would have to include model to model comparisons and there are not enough options plus it would be too confusing.

Please vote and express yourself kindly.

Thanks.

PS There's the option of multiple choices, if you think a combination of the above will be the case.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Meh, I'll bet.

IPC - somewhere between Core 2 Duo and Phenom II. Not a Nehalem IPC beater. In multi threaded server workloads, it will do quite well. Gaming performance will be similar to Phenom II clock for clock.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
OP, what do you mean by "overall slower" and "overall faster" in the poll?

Compared to what?

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

Compared to what?

I read it as overall slower/faster than the architecture mentioned in that specific option, but of course with so many models to choose from...

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I'm still going with Nehalem-level IPC. Nehalem existed for much of BD's developmental life. Would be a relatively large fail if AMD didn't make sure their brand-new arch could at least match Intel's existing kit.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
Is there even a gap between their IPC? o_O

I voted "Worse IPC than Phenom II, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores"

Might be wrong, but didn't JF-AMD tell people repeatedly that Zambezi IPC will be higher than Phenom's?

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Is there even a gap between their IPC? o_O

I voted "Worse IPC than Phenom II, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores"

Yeah, depending on application, Phenom II is mostly slower clock for clock.

Might be wrong, but didn't JF-AMD tell people repeatedly that Zambezi IPC will be higher than Phenom's?

He also said that it wouldnt be delayed.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009

Compared to what?

Compared to the Architecture that is mentioned on the same line good sir.

Ie "Worse IPC than Nehalem, overall slower, clocks and cores can't save it " would mean that Zambezi's IPC would be worse than Nehalems, but so much worse, that not even the cores or the clock could save it.

On the other hand "Worse IPC than Nehalem, overall faster due to clocks and/or cores" means that IPC will still be worse, but not so much that the extra clocks and cores will not be able to cope, in multithreaded apps.

I do understand that the first could mean that it would also have worse IPC than the Phenom II, that's why I enabled mutliple choices, so users can refine their votes better.

In any case this poll is meant to grasp the general feeling of what people expect. :)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I expect 27 more threads to pop up just like this one in the next week. I didn't see that option in the poll.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I expect nothing -- it is very clear to me from AMD's delays that it doesn't meet expectations and they're desperately trying to tweak it to get yields at greater clock speeds. I've been patiently waiting but I've pretty much decided to go ahead and get an i7-2600K or i5-2500K system.

Last edited:

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Yes he did.

However I expect there will be "wiggle room" exercised by him, as BD will have better IPC on some applications and worse IPC on other applications.

Overall I expect that there will be more applications that show worse IPC, than show better.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
dude am i the only one disppointed this generation?

i think im skipping the rest of the 32nm and possible even 22nm if things are going as i am seeing them leaked on both band camps.

Man.... those of u with a 2600K be prepared to be have one long ride of your life...

meaning... expect that processor to last a while... because its going to be a while b4 we see something sigificantly faster enough to merit what is called a "upgrade".

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
dude am i the only one disppointed this generation?

i think im skipping the rest of the 32nm and possible even 22nm if things are going as i am seeing them leaked on both band camps.

Man.... those of u with a 2600K be prepared to be have one long ride of your life...

meaning... expect that processor to last a while... because its going to be a while b4 we see something sigificantly faster enough to merit what is called a "upgrade".
Just what I was hoping for. Had mine since Feb. I've gone through 3 CPUs in about 4 or 5 years before the 2600K for not much tangible improvement and would like to get 3 years out of this at least.

Eeqmcsq

Jan 6, 2009
With all the delays, uninspiring leaked benchmarks that may or may not be accurate, lower than expected release prices, and the overall cloud of doubt surrounding Bulldozer, I decided to just be cynical and go for the worst case: Worse IPC than Phenom II, overall slower, clocks and cores can't save it. Then I can't be disappointed by whatever the actual benchmarks numbers will be.

However, the one expectation I have is that I'm expecting the 2nd "core/integer cluster" design to perform much better than a hyperthreaded core. Performance at 90% of a discrete core would be awesome, but I'm expecting at least 60-75%.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Current expectations regarding BD: Based on leaked pricing information I'm expecting the 8150 to perform between the 2500K and the 2600K in the vast majority of low thread count benchmarks and to beat the 2600K in things that will peg all of the 8150s modules. Mid 4GHz all modules overclock with good air cooling. AMD will once again provide good performance/price CPUs but to get the most benefit will require running tailored binaries.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010

How do you figure that? Haswell is looking great so far with all the released new extensions.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
My guess is the 8150P will have the multi-threading throughput of 8 X 2 GHz Sandy Bridge cores and the single-threaded performance of a 2.5 Ghz Sandy Bridge.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
How do you figure that? Haswell is looking great so far with all the released new extensions.

no it hasnt..

nothing ground stomping.. or revolutionary...

Tell me what has it really done?

Power reductions... heat reductions.. all very nice... but where is my freaken speed boost... Where is that boost that pushed C2D in its own league.. i7's on the top pedistool of all high end platforms... My BullDozer which was suposed to be FASTER in any single core applications if anything at all... :\

where is the edge haswall is supposed to have over sandy?

Why am i talking about intel? <--- someone forehead slap me...

anyhow ive seen leaked scores on AMD a while back ago...
And im seeing more leaked scores as my friends are going *face palm*

and yes ive had a few goto the AMD office in texas and tell me all about it.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
1. Nehalem like IPC.
2. Slower than SB at single threaded.
3. Faster than SB at multi threaded.
4. Decent overclocking headroom.

Which all seems like a fantasy when the performance numbers aren't exactly something to be optimistic about. I'll gladly preorder BD now if they could give me 8 cores with 8MB cache @ 8GHz out of the box. :D

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'll gladly preorder BD now if they could give me 8 cores with 8MB cache @ 8GHz out of the box. :D

what if that translated to less then what a high clocked sandy could do even with 8ghz out of the box.

Up straight guys....

My friends said, yes they clock like mad... but whats the point when the speed dial is the only thing moving, while the odometer is at a slow crawl?

after that comment he then went and asked if i wanted to get rid of the 990X i have..
lolol...

Last edited:

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
what if that translated to less then what a high clocked sandy could do even with 8ghz out of the box.

Up straight guys....

My friends said, yes they clock like mad... but whats the point when the speed dial is the only thing moving, while the odometer is at a slow crawl?

after that comment he then went and asked if i wanted to get rid of the 990X i have..
lolol...

You sure they had fun on final bios and final retail stepping and silicon just like JFAMD said?