So what are the best android apps?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Haven't done programming for over 20 years.

I do still have some programming sense.

Android as I understand it rely on Java heavily.

See if you can get anything with B4X programming tools

I don't have NAS and also don't use my Android phone siginifantly to really know how Android can interact with NAS via network.

or some Python library
couple with new Pyscript that let you run Python in browser. Maybe you can figure out a way to let Android phone read / write dbf file over network through web interface

Last edited:

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
1) Here are several excellent free Android apps on arachnoid.com by Paul Lutus
(offline topographical maps, Linux on Android, alarm/timer/ satellite finder, etc. The one I use is TidePredictor)

2) QUESTION: Does anyone recommend a free Android CONTACTS app that's better than the default? There are so many in Google Play Store...trying to narrow it down.

pocahontas61

Jan 24, 2024
App Quarantine. Drag drop the widget to use for Facebook, Drive, Dropbox, Google+, and any other apps that insist on running in the background data mining and syncing data.
So by by putting the icons over in the quarantine app. It will stop them from running in the background? Does the widget also need to go there? (Sorry not to computer savy)

pocahontas61

Jan 24, 2024
I used this app once on a trip from LI to Boston with an old Samsung Galaxy Player (thus, no way to have maps on the go with Google maps). Works pretty well. Google Maps is good too, but if you got stuck in an area without cell coverage and didn't have the map pre-downloaded, you might be wandering around for a bit.
I've downloaded an app called OnX Hunt you can see how far a place is as the crow Flys. See property borders, names of owners, state land, fed land, rivers, how many acres the property is. & you can track yourself if out hiking (so uou can find your way back) & tells you how far & fast you went.there USA free basic plan or pd premium. They also have OnX off road, & Onx
I used this app once on a trip from LI to Boston with an old Samsung Galaxy Player (thus, no way to have maps on the go with Google maps). Works pretty well. Google Maps is good too, but if you got stuck in an area without cell coverage and didn't have the map pre-downloaded, you might be wandering around for a bit.
Anyone use the "waze "map yet I like it. It tells ypu if someone reported a cop, accident, obstruction ect ahead

pocahontas61

Jan 24, 2024
Idkwhat or how but I stepped away fro. My phone for a sec & came back & couldn't finish y reply so the ending from above is OnX back country.