So, what are some good Nirvana songs...?

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
So a few days ago I heard "All Apologies" and since then I've been listening to it constantly. It is such a good song. Both the electric and accoustic versions. I can't believe I didn't like Nirvana before when Kurt Cobain was still alive, and even though I haven't listened to them enough to understand fully, I can see why so many fans were so devestated when he committed suicide. Anyways, a friend recommended that I pick up the album entitled Nevermind, so I did. It's an excellent album. I was wondering if people can recommend to me some songs that are good but are on albums other than Nevermind? Thanks in advance.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I'm not sure if 'good' and 'Nirvana' mesh so well. ;) On that note, Negative Creep was about as decent as I could stand.

danzig

Oct 9, 1999
I love all the unplugged stuff . I really dig their remake of Lake Of Fire .

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Placer14
Hahaha, you are SO 20 years late. Hehehe.

Or at least 15. ;)

Doesn't mean the never made any good songs. Sh!t, I purchased Are You Experienced 12" vinyl LP off of Ebay a while ago. I'm only forty years late. Doesn't mean Hendrix wasn't God of guitar.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
My favorites:

Spank Thru
Downer
Aneurysm
Lounge Act
Sliver
Mr. Moustache
About a Girl

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
love buzz is a good song.

that's cool that you are getting into nirvana..better late than never. i didn't get into them until a couple years after kurt died.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Just get the unplugged in NY album. It's awesome. Pennyroyaltea is great, so is The Man who Sold the World (it's a cover, so what? :))

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
If you only allow yourself to get into current music, you are really missing out.

I am 27 and my favorite band is the Beatles. If I would have just stuck to my "generations" music, I would have probably just made fun of the Beatles because they were "old". Nevermind the fact that they are the most influential band in music history. :D

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: weezergirl
love buzz is a good song.

that's cool that you are getting into nirvana..better late than never. i didn't get into them until a couple years after kurt died.

Love Buzz is good, but keep in mind it is originally a Shocking Blue song.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
About a Girl
Love Buzz
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Lithium
Come As You Are
Drain You
Negetive Creep
Sliver
Molly's Lips
Heart Shaped Box
Rape Me
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Polly
Lounge Act
On A Plain
Turnaround
Aneurysm
Scentless Apprentice
Dumb
Very Ape
Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam
Lake Of Fire
Where Did You Sleep Last Night
Son of A Gun
Been A Son

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by: mpitts
If you only allow yourself to get into current music, you are really missing out.

I am 27 and my favorite band is the Beatles. If I would have just stuck to my "generations" music, I would have probably just made fun of the Beatles because they were "old". Nevermind the fact that they are the most influential band in music history. :D

I still don't care for the Beatles very much, just some of there stuff, but I think Fogerty is a god in his own right. Distancing yourself from old music....Some of the best songs are old as dirt, stuff that my Dad had on 8 tracks still rule.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AmazonRasta

Or at least 15. ;)

Doesn't mean the never made any good songs. Sh!t, I purchased Are You Experienced 12" vinyl LP off of Ebay a while ago. I'm only forty years late. Doesn't mean Hendrix wasn't God of guitar.
True, but you should not compare the 2. Cobain was never in Hendrix league.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

Or at least 15. ;)

Not technically, but their influence continues on and will continue for a long time. Their styles of music influence different types of people. While Cobain may not be in the same league as Jimi in playing ability, Jimi couldn't hold a candle to Kurt in songwriting and emotion.

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000

D00d, I'm 19 and my favourite band is the Beatles. I know what you are saying though - there is great music in every generation, why just stick to listening to stuff from our own?

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

Or at least 15. ;)

Not technically, but their influence continues on and will continue for a long time. Their styles of music influence different types of people. While Cobain may not be in the same league as Jimi in playing ability, Jimi couldn't hold a candle to Kurt in songwriting and emotion.
Uh, yeah. Cobain's song writing is mediocre at best. Hendrix blows Cobain away in song writing and emotion. I suggest some more research into Hendrix. Don't think that I hate Cobain, I don't, but he is no genius either despite what genx'ers want to believe.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Compared to the other grunge bands of the time, Nirvana shouldn't have had much going for it. Dave Grohl is quite a musician, but it wasn't his project. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Blind Melon, even early Pearl Jam could wipe the floor with Nirvana musically.

step-dawg

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I'm really like the newest song they just recently "released": "You know you're right." Pretty much any of their albums are good. Nevermind was a bit more polished than the other ones. Bleach, In Utero, and the B-sides album are more true to form (not that nevermind was bad by any means). Also check out "Aneurysm" and "Drain You"

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
So a few days ago I heard "All Apologies" and since then I've been listening to it constantly. It is such a good song. Both the electric and accoustic versions. I can't believe I didn't like Nirvana before when Kurt Cobain was still alive, and even though I haven't listened to them enough to understand fully, I can see why so many fans were so devestated when he committed suicide. Anyways, a friend recommended that I pick up the album entitled Nevermind, so I did. It's an excellent album. I was wondering if people can recommend to me some songs that are good but are on albums other than Nevermind? Thanks in advance.

just get their newest album its a compilation of all the commercially successful songs

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000

Or at least 15. ;)

Uh, yeah. Cobain's song writing is mediocre at best. Hendrix blows Cobain away in song writing and emotion. I suggest some more research into Hendrix. Don't think that I hate Cobain, I don't, but he is no genius either despite what genx'ers want to believe.

I have only been listening to what Jimi wrote for the past 15 years. How much more research do you want me to do?

You have your opinion and I have mine. Mine is that Kurt Cobain, while a sloppy guitar player, was a genius when it came to song writing, melodies and lyrics. Jimi Hendrix was a good songwriter who was a god at playing guitar. How would it sound if I said "I don't hate Jimi Hendrix, but he is no genius despite what a bunch of hippies want to believe." That isn't fair. It is very much a generational thing.