So, this atheist is testifying in the Illinois house when this Congresswoman says.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
This is what comes of taking fairy tales about invisible super-beings too seriously.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I should probably state for the record that the State of Illinois has voted Democratic in every presidential election since I can remember. It is a Pro-Democrat state from one end to the other. There may have been a Republican Governor, but that was probably in response to the corruption in Chicago from the Dailey Clan. I wonder where they get the Republicans from. In my voting Precinct a lot of elected officials run unapposed because a lot of the time no Republican will even bother running for office.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
I should probably state for the record that the State of Illinois has voted Democratic in every presidential election since I can remember. It is a Pro-Democrat state from one end to the other. There may have been a Republican Governor, but that was probably in response to the corruption in Chicago from the Dailey Clan. I wonder where they get the Republicans from. In my voting Precinct a lot of elected officials run unapposed because a lot of the time no Republican will even bother running for office.

Guess that's true, if you don't count the presidential elections of 1968, 1972, 1980, 1984, and 1988.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Rep. Davis: I don?t know what you have against God, but some of us don?t have much against him. We look forward to him and his blessings. And it?s really a tragedy -- it?s tragic -- when a person who is engaged in anything related to God, they want to fight. They want to fight prayer in school.

I don?t see you (Sherman) fighting guns in school. You know?

I?m trying to understand the philosophy that you want to spread in the state of Illinois. This is the Land of Lincoln. This is the Land of Lincoln where people believe in God, where people believe in protecting their children.? What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous, it?s dangerous--

Sherman: What?s dangerous, ma?am?

Rep. Davis: It?s dangerous to the progression of this state. And it?s dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! Now you will go to court to fight kids to have the opportunity to be quiet for a minute. But damn if you?ll go to [court] to fight for them to keep guns out of their hands. I am fed up! Get out of that seat!

Sherman: Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and I?m sure that if this matter does go to court---

Rep. Davis: You have no right to be here! We believe in something. You believe in destroying! You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.

I agree with Rep Davis on everything but the bolded part in the last paragraph.
Of course you do, birds of a feather you know.

Must...Hold...Back.

I'd make a comment about the same thing pertaining to you, but out of fear of being banned for even bringing it up, I'll just suggest you use your imagination.
If I was prone to imagination I'd believe as both you and her.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Must...Hold...Back.

I'd make a comment about the same thing pertaining to you, but out of fear of being banned for even bringing it up, I'll just suggest you use your imagination.

[/quote]

Your not going to get banned here... I'd like to hear what you have positive to say about this.... If anything we can just laugh at you....

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: bamacre
Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul.

Don't blame me, I voted for Bugs Bunny.

Don't blame me, I voted for an atheist....

And you totally missed my point. ;)

If the government employee in question can respect the division of his or her personal religious beliefs and the rule of law, then his or her personal religious beliefs matter not.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Rep. Davis: I don?t know what you have against God, but some of us don?t have much against him. We look forward to him and his blessings. And it?s really a tragedy -- it?s tragic -- when a person who is engaged in anything related to God, they want to fight. They want to fight prayer in school.

I don?t see you (Sherman) fighting guns in school. You know?

I?m trying to understand the philosophy that you want to spread in the state of Illinois. This is the Land of Lincoln. This is the Land of Lincoln where people believe in God, where people believe in protecting their children.? What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous, it?s dangerous--

Sherman: What?s dangerous, ma?am?

Rep. Davis: It?s dangerous to the progression of this state. And it?s dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! Now you will go to court to fight kids to have the opportunity to be quiet for a minute. But damn if you?ll go to [court] to fight for them to keep guns out of their hands. I am fed up! Get out of that seat!

Sherman: Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and I?m sure that if this matter does go to court---

Rep. Davis: You have no right to be here! We believe in something. You believe in destroying! You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.

I agree with Rep Davis on everything but the bolded part in the last paragraph.
Of course you do, birds of a feather you know.

Must...Hold...Back.

If only your imagination was as big as your post count.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Your not going to get banned here... I'd like to hear what you have positive to say about this.... If anything we can just laugh at you....

I've been banned for less. No thanks.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I've been banned for less. No thanks.

If you, or anyone else, can express your viewpoint without resorting to nasty personal attacks or massive derailments of the thread, feel free to speak your mind. Nobody is going to ban you for saying what you think, as long as you don't violate any rules when you do it.

Rainsford
AnandTech P&N Moderator

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Corbett, pretty much everything she said is a lie.

:confused:

since you are apparently confused, what she said does not have a basis in either fact or law.

Sounds like the burder of proof is on you for that one.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Corbett, pretty much everything she said is a lie.

:confused:

since you are apparently confused, what she said does not have a basis in either fact or law.

Sounds like the burder of proof is on you for that one.

you and her are the ones making the claim.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Its a belief. We already know my posting evidence to support it wont change your position whatsoever.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

Its a belief. We already know my posting evidence to support it wont change your position whatsoever.

You are confused again. He isn't asking you (or the Rep.) to prove the existence of God. He is asking you to prove that the claims made by her that you were so quick to agree with and claim to be truth actually are.

He is asking you to prove that Atheists want to fight anything related to God. That this man isn't fighting guns in school. That it is dangerous for children to "even know that your (Sherman's) philosophy exists. That he (or any atheist) has deep rooted beliefs in destroying what the state of Illinois was built upon (and even that it was built upon those beliefs).

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The problem is that when the Athiest campaigns or protests, is that often it is a campaign against religion? If you bring up religion, with an Anti-Religious-Rant, then you open the door for it to be discussed. It is only fair that all parties be represented for the discussion. In a court this would be considered poison fruit because the Athiest probably brings up the subject. So the subject must be discussed. If you are voted in by a predominently religous constituency, should you not be representing that constituency? People should not be afraid to discuss their religion. Christians have freedom of speech also. I dont want to force religion on anyone. I would not support forced muslim religious training any more than forced Christian religious training. Being a Mormon I have neutral point of view on this, because in the past many Christians persecuted Mormons.

We really need a discussion of Freedom of Speech. It is suppose to protect people's right to practice their relion and express their beliefs or lack thereof. If the Athiest has a right to freedom of speech, so does the Christian and any other religion. Open discussion should be permitted. How can you discuss Social Studies or History without discussing how religion has had an effect on history or culture? Religion is often used as an excuse to persecute other groups. However, religion can also be the source of compassion and giving to feed the poor and protect the fatherless. In the end it is men that do Evil or Good, not religion or phylosophy. Liberals can do just as much evil as the Zealots of Faith.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I agree with your points from the religious side of the equation. However, your viewpoints from the Atheist side are completely off the mark.

First and foremost, it has been considered to be taboo to even discuss the prospect of being an Atheist in America. The non-religious have been historically (American history) chastised and shunned. They have been made to feel as if they should be ashamed of their lack of beliefs and that they are not entitled to the same basic courtesies that the religious are. They are also made out to be morally bankrupt and have to behave in deceitful ways to gain positions of importance in society.

Don't believe me, do a search and try to find the number of Atheists that have served as President, Senator, Congressman or almost any other public office.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

That works both ways and the atheist wasn't the one acting in an ignorant and unprofessional manner while abusing their position of power.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
The problem is that when the Athiest campaigns or protests, is that often it is a campaign against religion? If you bring up religion, with an Anti-Religious-Rant, then you open the door for it to be discussed. It is only fair that all parties be represented for the discussion. In a court this would be considered poison fruit because the Athiest probably brings up the subject. So the subject must be discussed. If you are voted in by a predominently religous constituency, should you not be representing that constituency? People should not be afraid to discuss their religion. Christians have freedom of speech also. I dont want to force religion on anyone. I would not support forced muslim religious training any more than forced Christian religious training. Being a Mormon I have neutral point of view on this, because in the past many Christians persecuted Mormons.

We really need a discussion of Freedom of Speech. It is suppose to protect people's right to practice their relion and express their beliefs or lack thereof. If the Athiest has a right to freedom of speech, so does the Christian and any other religion. Open discussion should be permitted. How can you discuss Social Studies or History without discussing how religion has had an effect on history or culture? Religion is often used as an excuse to persecute other groups. However, religion can also be the source of compassion and giving to feed the poor and protect the fatherless. In the end it is men that do Evil or Good, not religion or phylosophy. Liberals can do just as much evil as the Zealots of Faith.
It used to be the case that the pro-religion crowd had school days begin with the teacher leading the classroom in a prayer to God and Jesus. The "Anti-religious" crowd sued over that, and the Supreme Court in 1962 mysteriously agreed that prayer under such circumstances constituted state establishment of religion. Which just goes to show you that the Founding Fathers were anti-religious, communist atheists.

As to those 60-second "moments of silence," we all know that the impetus to get them into the school day was solely a disinterested desire by the right to give students a little respite from their hectic lives. "Prayer?!! What's that?!!!?"