So, this atheist is testifying in the Illinois house when this Congresswoman says.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
As for the comment about disallowing for-profit establishments... it certainly sounds good, but as long as we're still paying for major league ballparks and handing out corporate subsidies, I don't think that holds water.
Good point. We humans are consistently inconsistent - probably some primal instinct so that our movements can't be predicted.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Birds of feather flock together. Looks like Obama's hood is home to some loony folks :)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: 1prophet
There go those Republicans again trying to push religion down everyone's throats.;)

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?GA=94&MemberID=909">Representative Monique D. Davis (D) - 94th General Assembly
27th District</a>

Uh, oh... Wiki Link

Monique D. Davis is a Democratic member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 27th District since 1987. She also is a member of Trinity United Church of Christ, to which United States Senator Barack Obama also belongs [1]. :Q

double ouch!

/thread

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
How did someone like that become a state representative?
the scary short answer: actual voters.
It is scary. As scary as our current president being elected by voters - twice. It is very disappointing - in both cases.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
She must've forgotten that she's more than a private citizen. She's a government representative.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
wtf?

i agree completely with her when she asks why people don't want to fight for guns out of schools and would rather fight for religion out of schools, but the other stuff is nuts and contradictory to the foundation of our country.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
There go those Republicans again trying to push religion down everyone's throats.;)

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?GA=94&MemberID=909">Representative Monique D. Davis (D) - 94th General Assembly
27th District</a>

wow, she looks great for being 71 years old.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: shira
I basically agree, except that if the state is generally subsidizing the restoration of historic buildings, and a church (or temple, or house of Satan) happens to meet the criteria for the subsidy, then I don't see that as running afoul of the establishment clause.
There should be a criteria disallowing for-profit establishments - and most churches are money making institutions even if they are declared otherwise.

Its a historic site.

It was deemed a landmark by both the National Register and Chicago itself.

Its the place where gospel started.

Of course they are going to fund it. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with preserving american history and culture.

Interesting. I can see how the debate could get so heated then. And the necessity of keeping it all in context, which it doesn't look like Sherman wants to do.

As for the comment about disallowing for-profit establishments... it certainly sounds good, but as long as we're still paying for major league ballparks and handing out corporate subsidies, I don't think that holds water.

Damn you, Vic. For a while there I thought I was really going to be able to get my nuts off on this woman and here comes the context. You ruined everything.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: eits
wtf?

i agree completely with her when she asks why people don't want to fight for guns out of schools and would rather fight for religion out of schools, but the other stuff is nuts and contradictory to the foundation of our country.

Guns aren't allowed in schools and there's metal detectors at a lot of them, people are fighting all the time for this. I don't get the rub there. If you want better controls at schools you have to introduce tighter controls on the general population, which gets the blood boiling for a lot of people in this country.

This woman is a total hack and should resign, but from the sound of her peanut gallery, they eat this stuff up there. Maybe her church should front the cash, they have plenty, they just built Wright that 1 million dollar home, praise the Lord!

As for it being "dangerous" for people to know atheists exist......Christianity would fall apart without people who "need" saving.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Rep. Davis: I don?t know what you have against God, but some of us don?t have much against him. We look forward to him and his blessings. And it?s really a tragedy -- it?s tragic -- when a person who is engaged in anything related to God, they want to fight. They want to fight prayer in school.

I don?t see you (Sherman) fighting guns in school. You know?

I?m trying to understand the philosophy that you want to spread in the state of Illinois. This is the Land of Lincoln. This is the Land of Lincoln where people believe in God, where people believe in protecting their children.? What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous, it?s dangerous--

Sherman: What?s dangerous, ma?am?

Rep. Davis: It?s dangerous to the progression of this state. And it?s dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! Now you will go to court to fight kids to have the opportunity to be quiet for a minute. But damn if you?ll go to [court] to fight for them to keep guns out of their hands. I am fed up! Get out of that seat!

Sherman: Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and I?m sure that if this matter does go to court---

Rep. Davis: You have no right to be here! We believe in something. You believe in destroying! You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.

I agree with Rep Davis on everything but the bolded part in the last paragraph.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
wtf?

Actually, if you really want to get down to the law....

Guns are a constitutionally granted right for the citizens. Religion being intermingled with government is constitutionally barred.

I don't think that the Rep or you are making as strong of a case as either of you believe and the plea to emotion is a red herring that is designed to mask the fact that there isn't any legal legs to stand on when arguing otherwise.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Rep. Davis: I don?t know what you have against God, but some of us don?t have much against him. We look forward to him and his blessings. And it?s really a tragedy -- it?s tragic -- when a person who is engaged in anything related to God, they want to fight. They want to fight prayer in school.

I don?t see you (Sherman) fighting guns in school. You know?

I?m trying to understand the philosophy that you want to spread in the state of Illinois. This is the Land of Lincoln. This is the Land of Lincoln where people believe in God, where people believe in protecting their children.? What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous, it?s dangerous--

Sherman: What?s dangerous, ma?am?

Rep. Davis: It?s dangerous to the progression of this state. And it?s dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! Now you will go to court to fight kids to have the opportunity to be quiet for a minute. But damn if you?ll go to [court] to fight for them to keep guns out of their hands. I am fed up! Get out of that seat!

Sherman: Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and I?m sure that if this matter does go to court---

Rep. Davis: You have no right to be here! We believe in something. You believe in destroying! You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.
I agree with Rep Davis on everything but the bolded part in the last paragraph.
I also disagree with everything in italics.

Davis is implying that there's something wrong with opposing someone who wants to bring God and prayer into schools - a moment of silence may be one thing, but explicit prayer in schools - when guided by an authority figure like a teacher - is barred by the Supreme Court.

She's also dead wrong that it's dangerous for children to be informed about what atheism is, just as it would be dead wrong to claim that informing children ABOUT various faiths is dangerous.

Finally, Davis is totally wrong to demand that Sherman leave.

May 16, 2000
wtf?

Actually I find that every bit as nutty.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: shira

She's also dead wrong that it's dangerous for children to be informed about what atheism is, just as it would be dead wrong to claim that informing children ABOUT various faiths is dangerous.

Finally, Davis is totally wrong to demand that Sherman leave.

Yeah, those lines expose her true stupidity. She'll probably win her next election by a bigger margin. Emailing RodBlag is a waste of time too. Illinois government is so fucked in the head. I can't wait to finish school and get the hell out.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003

27th District</a>

LMFAO!!! Will be interesting to see if this gets any traction in the MSM

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Holy crap, and a democrat, too! I guess there's a retard in every group of friends. :p Just kidding, there are a LOT of retards in the democratic party, they're not special.

What's this woman's damage, anyway? Who could possibly believe that Atheists are any more dangerous people than theists or otherwise? (Oh yeah, fundamentalists or extremists!)

Nutty.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

27th District</a>

wow, she looks great for being 71 years old.

It's probably an old pic. Only Sophia Loren can pull that off. ;)

Years served: 1987 - Present

Looks like she's pretty heavily involved in education. After that hateful outburst I hope (D) voters have the sense to not re-elect her.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I love her comment about not seeing him fighting guns in schools.

I'm pretty sure that guns are already not being allowed in schools.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk
"That's right! I am...dangerous, Ice Man."

Davis needs some happy pills in her koolaid.

That's it, Chicago is now officially relegated to flyover status with the rest of em :)

No kidding. If anyone needs to step down it should be that nutball.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: piasabird
So are athiests just people who hate people who believe in God or what?

If you read even a fraction of the article, you'd see that it was the religious fanatic who seems to hate people who don't share her view. The atheist is polite, going so far as to thank the representative for her views as she yells at him and tells him to leave. So it strikes me, based on this encounter, that atheists are polite, upstanding people, and religious folk are brash and abrasive. Wonder which one I'd rather spend time with...

For the record, atheists are people who do not believe God exists. That's it. There's no hatred attached to this belief, any more than there is hatred attached between those who believe Jesus is the messiah and those who believe there is only one God and Mohammed is his prophet. There are certainly atheists who hate religious people, but they are just as idiotic as Muslims who hate Jews, or Catholics who hate Protestants, or Buddhists who hate anything. Everyone is capable of living in harmony if they would merely realize that not everyone needs to believe the same thing as them.

Another point of contention is the divide between atheism and agnosticism. Atheists don't believe God exists; agnostics may have a belief in a spiritual or metaphysical power, but don't believe any religion sufficiently explains this power. I don't believe in God, so I would say I was an atheist. But if God, or some metaphysical deity, came and revealed something that made it patently obvious that God exists, well, I wouldn't continue my disbelief. My friend holds similar views and considers herself agnostic. I think the whole thing is a bit of a crapshoot honestly.

And now I'm off to go hate religious people.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
So are athiests just people who hate people who believe in God or what?

Well, there are atheists like that. And also those that pretty much keep their non-belief to themselves and don't care one way or the other what anyone else believes. And everywhere in between.

Kind of like people of particular religions and their attitudes toward different faiths and non-faiths.