So the power is out on my side of the street...

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I wake up to the sound of the alarm on my UPS going off and realize the power is out. I shut down the main PCs and make a call to report the outage.

So I am sitting here in the dark and open my laptop and fire up netstumbler...I find a open AP called of all things "linksys" ;)

I don't feel so lonely now...:):thumbsup:

edit..power is back on

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: compnovice
So you are a night burglar :p

:eek:

Kindda ironic...

I just picked up a new router today and locked everything down with WPA2...the first time I've ever secured my wireless in 7 years of having it...

strange...

anyways, I'm on AIM if anyone is bored;)

RossMAN...its dark out...hold me:scared;

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I remember Spidey07 recently saying that folks are setting up unencrypted WAP's as honeypots to collect people's usernames and passwords for identify theft.

The odds of you living next to a l33t haX0r scumbag like that are probably pretty slim, but it's something to think about.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
it isn't necessary to report power outages of that magnitude.
It doesn't always work like that - I had power out at my home for a while (45 minutes) once, called in, they said it's all fine blah blah blah, but I insisted that there was an issue, and 5 minutes into it, the lady told me to hold for a minute. She came back on and said that they're getting more reports and are going to take care of it.

While they can monitor things pretty well, there must be scenario's where reporting it can help.

Plus, at the very least, for the masses, it will calm them down just hearing someone acknowledge it, isn't that alone worth it for them?

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
It doesn't always work like that - I had power out at my home for a while (45 minutes) once, called in, they said it's all fine blah blah blah, but I insisted that there was an issue, and 5 minutes into it, the lady told me to hold for a minute. She came back on and said that they're getting more reports and are going to take care of it.

While they can monitor things pretty well, there must be scenario's where reporting it can help.

Plus, at the very least, for the masses, it will calm them down just hearing someone acknowledge it, isn't that alone worth it for them?

they (power co.) hate it when people call en masse to report a power outage. they know. maybe front line customer service doesn't know within 5 minutes of it happening, but someone there does. :)

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
meh...FirstEnergy has a Outage Reporting Line that is all automated and they even have a "report outage" link on their website...

The automated service is nice in that they will call you back and offer a wake up call service too:)

I guess some companies are just behind the times...but then again, my power did go out tonight :x

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

they (power co.) hate it when people call en masse to report a power outage. they know. maybe front line customer service doesn't know within 5 minutes of it happening, but someone there does. :)
Ah, that makes perfect sense, didn't think about it that way, sorry if I came off in a bad way :p

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
I remember Spidey07 recently saying that folks are setting up unencrypted WAP's as honeypots to collect people's usernames and passwords for identify theft.

The odds of you living next to a l33t haX0r scumbag like that are probably pretty slim, but it's something to think about.

google used to offer a free secure vpn for using unsecured wifi, but now it seems like it's only for users of their google wifi in SF.