So the movers are coming at 1pm but the freight elevator has broken this morning!

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006
My apartment is at 10th floor and the freight elevator has broken this morning. I feel bad for the guys... good thing is, I am moving out, not moving in... so they won't be carrying an apartment of furniture up... heh, anyways, sucks for them, but nothing I can do. I'll have plenty of cold drinks for them I guess.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Has it occured to you that they will come back Monday when the elevator is fixed?

Kilgor

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I doubt taking the stuff up and down 10 flights of steps is part of the bid.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kilgor
I doubt taking the stuff up and down 10 flights of steps is part of the bid.

most likely it has a 2 floor max.

AaronB

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2002
I imagine that this is either going to be delayed or it will cost you more.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Good luck with that one. If I was the movers I would turn right around. No way I would want to lug anything up or down 10 floors.

AaronB

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2002
Actually I just got the picture in my head.

(movers arrive)

Art: Hi guys! Look, there's a bit of a problem with the elevator but we still have the stairs so lets get to work!

Movers: Go fvck yourself.

(movers leave)

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: AaronB

(movers arrive)

Art: Hi guys! Look, there's a bit of a problem with the elevator but we still have the stairs so lets get to work!

(movers leave)

I think that about sums it up. Exactly what I would say if I was a mover.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I dunno. When I moved in to my new apartment, most of the furniture wouldn't fit in the elevators, so I had to lug it up 5 flights.

Not every building has elevators large enough to move furniture. Best speak to them first, to make sure they're happy (and suitably paid) before they turn up though.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: AaronB

(movers arrive)

(movers leave)

so true:laugh:

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006
Update:

1. They are here. 2 of them, using the stairs.
2. Can't use regular elevators as they are too small.
3. 50% done.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nice.

While i never normally advocate tipping, I'd make a rather generous exception in this case.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
The regular elevator has to be good enough for some of the furniture - chairs, etc.
They can just go to every floor from the 2nd to the 9th and put a big "OUT OF ORDER" sign on the elevator. Then, one carries the furniture to the elevator, sends it to the ground floor, where the other takes it out and to the truck. :)