So the Federal government receives I9s and tax forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
right? Why is it we have to *estimate* the number of people that have started jobs in the previous month?

Are there jobs where I9s and tax forms aren't required?

Yes, I'm aware that some people work more than one job (which counts as two jobs in the BLS CES), but wouldn't that be a more accurate number than a survey?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
This GOVERNMENT, not some mythical organization ruled by logic and equality.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
An excellent point. In the twenty-first century it's appalling that private corporations can keep up to date digital records but the federal government cannot. That information should be almost instantaneously retrievable.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
right? Why is it we have to *estimate* the number of people that have started jobs in the previous month?

Are there jobs where I9s and tax forms aren't required?

Yes, I'm aware that some people work more than one job (which counts as two jobs in the BLS CES), but wouldn't that be a more accurate number than a survey?

What about jobs that are added at the end of the month where the forms get sent in in the following month?

Your reason and the reason above seem pretty valid to me as to why it's an estimate, it's also probably why the numbers get revised a couple of months later.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
What about jobs that are added at the end of the month where the forms get sent in in the following month?

Your reason and the reason above seem pretty valid to me as to why it's an estimate, it's also probably why the numbers get revised a couple of months later.

*At worst* I would think you'd have a month delay, and that's in pretty rare cases.

The reason numbers get revised is because firms that are being surveyed haven't sent in their responses yet. I know that, as an employee, I'd much rather the firm I work for submit the necessary paperwork for me to be paid before the employment survey data.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The government is extremely compartmentalized when it comes to data collection and data sharing concerning the public. This is by design under the Privacy Act. Government agencies can't use information gathered from the public for purposes not disclosed when the information is collected. Unless Congress tells the BLS (Dept of Labor) that they are allowed to peak at the W4 numbers (Dept of the Treasury), they can't.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
A big percent of new jobs are people creating their own job. If I decide to become a baby-sitter tomorrow, then I can go from being unemployed to having a job. But that is not reported to the government until I file my 1040 next spring.

There isn't a form that you mail to the government when you are fired. If (and that is a big if) your job loss is reported to the STATE unemployment agency, then the state has 90 days to report that to the federal government. These losses have to be estimated in the mean time.

Seasonal factors need to be estimated. Just because a freak snow storm stops construction for 2 weeks doesn't mean the builders are technically out of a job. Just because someone is temporarilly hired for the Christmas rush doesn't mean that person has a new job either (it'll end shortly and is thus not to be counted).

Certain non-profit organizations don't report jobs (gained or lost).

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
An excellent point. In the twenty-first century it's appalling that private corporations can keep up to date digital records but the federal government cannot. That information should be almost instantaneously retrievable.

Why do we have to "do our taxes"? The government already has all the data.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Why do we have to "do our taxes"? The government already has all the data.
First, the govt doesn't have all the data. They don't know which deductions/credits you might be able to claim based on your situation. Second, the govt wants your signature on the form. If you file it and it's wrong, it's on you. If the govt calculates it and it's wrong, it's on the govt. Guess whom the govt would rather have holding the bag? Guess which situation can generate penalties?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
A big percent of new jobs are people creating their own job. If I decide to become a baby-sitter tomorrow, then I can go from being unemployed to having a job. But that is not reported to the government until I file my 1040 next spring.

There isn't a form that you mail to the government when you are fired. If (and that is a big if) your job loss is reported to the STATE unemployment agency, then the state has 90 days to report that to the federal government. These losses have to be estimated in the mean time.

Seasonal factors need to be estimated. Just because a freak snow storm stops construction for 2 weeks doesn't mean the builders are technically out of a job. Just because someone is temporarilly hired for the Christmas rush doesn't mean that person has a new job either (it'll end shortly and is thus not to be counted).

Certain non-profit organizations don't report jobs (gained or lost).

Except you do file with the County you are in when you start a business to get a DBA and most will also get a Federal Employer Id, especially if you want to hire employees. You are also supposed to be filing quarterly income estimates with the IRS even in your first year of employment.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The W-4s, however, have to be submitted.
I do not think so - those are the records for the employer on withholding.
Only if the W4 has a number outside the Fed guidelines; are they to be sent in.
The W4 is an "estimate" only by the employee

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I do not think so - those are the records for the employer on withholding.
Only if the W4 has a number outside the Fed guidelines; are they to be sent in.
The W4 is an "estimate" only by the employee
This but e verify's are.

Status
Not open for further replies.