So someone stole my credit card, bought some items but accidentaly shipped them to me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I think you might now be in possession of stolen goods? Or at least, the results of illegal activity. Contact the CC company - you might even need to hand them into the police. Its likely the merchant is going to want them back eventually.

I mean think about it - if you keep them, who loses out? The merchant. The merchant has had the money taken from its account, and doesnt have the stock anymore. At least return the stock to them, they did nothing wrong.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'm thinking one of your friends is messing with you or they want free e cigs because you don't smoke..

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Wait, how did the thief get your billing address? Agreed with the others, sounds fishy (aka scamming the credit card company)

jidery

Mar 31, 2012
The physical card is sitting on my desk as I type this. It never left my wallet

This is clearly the result of a data breach somewhere, which would be why the thief would have my billing address.

There are other charges on my card, I am waiting to see if those items come to my door, I doubt the thief could be THAT stupid though.

The CC company told me "this happens all the time" and not to worry, just try to return the items.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Can you drive to a local branch of the bank where you got the credit card? Why not bring all the items, with recepits and such to the branch, tell them the guy who store your credit card apparantly thought it would be fun to ship that crap to you. You didn't order it, and don't want it, thus, tell the person at the bank it's their problem now. At the very least, you may get a funny reaction from them.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
So someone took my credit card about 3 days ago. Wellsfargo rocks and sent me a new card which was in my hands yesterday so no big deal. But here is the problem.

They apparently charged up my card and accidentally sent me the items. My best guess would be they accidentally selected "shipping address same as billing address" I now have $200 worth of electronic vaporizers (e-cigs?) in my room, which I have pretty much no use for.

My problem was 100% solved with the bank and I have no liability for the charges. The charges are off my account and I have a brand new card in hand. What should I do?

Here's a thought: Return the merchandise to the company that shipped them to you?

jidery

Mar 31, 2012
Update: Called the seller and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label so they can get their product back. Problem solved. Hopefully.

Update 2: Apparently product was bought through a supplier who was selling the product for someone else. (similar to Fulfillment by amazon) so now they need to contact me.

Last edited:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
My guess is that he shipped it to your address to screw with you and to test the card before buying something bigger.

Or, he shipped it to your address so it wouldn't throw off any alarms, and he was hoping he could swipe them before you saw them.

I think the better stores usually require additional verification if the shipment is to anywhere but the billing address. Like punching in the 3-digit security code?

Werd that the bank flagged it but still let the order go through.

jidery

Mar 31, 2012
I took a look at the website, and it is VERY easy to use the shipping address as the billing address. You enter the billing first, then one button completely skips the shipping address step and goes to payment.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Return them to the vendor first and wait for the credit to go through. AFTER you've got your money back, notify the bank. Another thing I would worry about is how the person got your login information for whatever website they bought from.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The physical card is sitting on my desk as I type this. It never left my wallet

This is clearly the result of a data breach somewhere, which would be why the thief would have my billing address.

That would make a lot more sense than what you said in the OP... "someone took my credit card"

No they didn't, in fact this has nothing to do with your credit card and 100% to do with the security at whatever e-shop had a data breach. Replacing the CC was a necessary step to stop fraudulent purchases, but you still have an account in somebody else's hands somewhere.

Have you changed all of your passwords?

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
Christ on a stick, it was a joke.

lol, my bad. I guess my joke/sarcasm meter was not working.

Edit: I also didn't see the ":sneaky" smiley yesterday on the regular site. I just saw it on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Ask bank first. Worst thing that can happen is you keep them and progress to real cigarettes and die in 20 years from cancer all cause you got jacked.