So...PC Gamer's blurb

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Have you ever had a secret that you're dying to blurt out, but you can't for another month, and the stress of holding it in makes you want to do the pee-pee dance? That's what PC Gamer staff is doing right now, because the August issue will be chock full of exclusives, including a top secret cover story so huge we had to go to [CENSORED] to get it. Just 30 days more...

Ok, so we know it's not Diablo 3, courtesy of PC Gamer saying such.

Any other ideas?

I'm hoping:

Age of Empires 4
Battlefield 3
Perhaps Rick Goodman's game
Blizzard MMO

hopefully they don't pull a Far Cry 2 on us and have it be Doom 4. ~_~

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Probably a preview of the new WoW expansion pack (frozen throne?) or have they already done that?

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Probably a preview of the new WoW expansion pack (frozen throne?) or have they already done that?

I think they did one a few issues back but I don't recall how big it was. I could be wrong. I'm actually tossing out my PC Gamer/Maximum PC collection today, I should take photo's.
:beer:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
PC Gamer is shit. Ignore them.
Many, MANY times they have promised something super cool, only to turn up nothing in the next issue.
I stuck with them for a whole year after they changed management. Each issue got worse.

Dump your subscription and get reviews online.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Many, MANY times they have promised something super cool, only to turn up nothing in the next issue.
I stuck with them for a whole year after they changed management. Each issue got worse.

I agree. I used to have subscriptions for PC Gamer, Boot -> Maximum PC, and CPU. CPU is the only one worth reading now.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TehMac
Have you ever had a secret that you're dying to blurt out, but you can't for another month, and the stress of holding it in makes you want to do the pee-pee dance? That's what PC Gamer staff is doing right now, because the August issue will be chock full of exclusives, including a top secret cover story so huge we had to go to [CENSORED] to get it. Just 30 days more...

Ok, so we know it's not Diablo 3, courtesy of PC Gamer saying such.

Any other ideas?

I'm hoping:

Age of Empires 4
Battlefield 3
Perhaps Rick Goodman's game
Blizzard MMO

hopefully they don't pull a Far Cry 2 on us and have it be Doom 4. ~_~

AoE3 didn't seem to do so well, did it? at least not compared to AoE2.
Battlefield 3 is inevitable, as its EA. the BF series sucks ass anyway.
no idea who rick goodman is.
blizzard mmo? doubtful

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
AoE3 didn't seem to do so well, did it? at least not compared to AoE2.
Battlefield 3 is inevitable, as its EA. the BF series sucks ass anyway.
no idea who rick goodman is.
blizzard mmo? doubtful

AoE3 has sold around 1.4 million copies I think...more or less. More than 1 million, so they're past the "million mark" which more than guarantees a sequel in my opinion.

Blizzard is not working on an MMO other than "the MMO for the future" and they dispelled Diablo 3 rumors, Rick Goodman worked on RTS games, he worked on AoE1 and he also did Empire Earth 1 as well as Dawn of the Modern World and Rise and Fall: Civs at War, which was completed by Midway because his own studio shut down.

He has a new studio and project at hand, but won't talk. I'm hoping PCG spills the beans.

In any event, when BF3 gets announced, I will splooge myself.

Could be Rise of Nations 2, but I doubt it. Possibly, the Big Huge Games (Rise of Nations) RPG with the Elder Scrolls dude working on it with them.

Originally posted by: BassBomb
RA3?

Already did a preview on RA3.

Originally posted by: shortylickens

I dunno I cut my subscription a while back, then I got a new one. I just like reading physical manifestations of print in my hand, and there is a bit of effort, so I appreciate that. I just didn't like how PCG became some sort of political caricature when Vederman was in charge, constantly throwing out potshots at "those damned conservatives" when half of the people they were describing were either liberals or members of the democratic party.

Christians weren't spared either. :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

seriously? people really want to pay for more punishment and shitty games or the same game over and over with slight differences?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

seriously? people really want to pay for more punishment and shitty games or the same game over and over with slight differences?

i still dont understand why so many people liked BF2... it was so incredibly inefficient that i was frustrated simply by opening the menu.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
BF2 was an excellent game wrapped up in a UI that felt like wading through hip deep mud, questionable net-code, uneeded DRM, and an inexplicable inability to bind certain keys to certain functions.

I'm not sure how I feel about BF3. They're kind of running out of places to have wars in. Frankly, I'd like them to do Vietnam correctly. BF:V was ok, but really did feel like a rush job that was basically a mod.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
i still dont understand why so many people liked BF2... it was so incredibly inefficient that i was frustrated simply by opening the menu.

Your guys complaints are valid, but if you didn't understand why BF2 was liked then you probably never played it with friends. There were days when shit just came together, you had a good commander, you had good teamates. On days like that, you could really come to appreciate what they put into the game. Having someone fly in with a transport chopper just to pick you up, that medic that dashes out of a building to save your life, the artillery strike that turned the tide of war. That kind of shit. It was just a very, very well done team game. It will certainly be interesting to see what BF3 brings, I hope they don't go over the top with graphics, I hope they keep the graphics mediocre and really increase potential, bring back the driveable ships, etc.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ja1484
BF2 was an excellent game wrapped up in a UI that felt like wading through hip deep mud, questionable net-code, uneeded DRM, and an inexplicable inability to bind certain keys to certain functions.

I'm not sure how I feel about BF3. They're kind of running out of places to have wars in. Frankly, I'd like them to do Vietnam correctly. BF:V was ok, but really did feel like a rush job that was basically a mod.

I never understood the key binding situation in BF2. It ultimately lead me to stop playing the game in less than a week. And even when I tried to play again months later it was still there. How can something like that get through testing and then stay with the product over the course of its lifetime?

Needless to say the only hope of my trying out that franchise again is if it is ridiculously good or free(Battlefield:Heroes).

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Anubis
DNF is going to be a reality

I would not be suprised DNF actually gets released this year. I doubt its that though, DNF is a joke not an inside scoop.

Blizzard is working on a MMOG, they'd be stupid not to. It wont be out anytime soon, but MMOG development is a long process.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: ja1484

I never understood the key binding situation in BF2. It ultimately lead me to stop playing the game in less than a week. And even when I tried to play again months later it was still there. How can something like that get through testing and then stay with the product over the course of its lifetime?

Needless to say the only hope of my trying out that franchise again is if it is ridiculously good or free(Battlefield:Heroes).

You can fix the key binding thing by going into the config files. But yes, that is a pain to do considering how easy it should be. BF2 is an awesome game though, and the mods for it are great as well.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: mharr7
Blizzard is not working on an MMO other than "the MMO for the future" and they dispelled Diablo 3 rumors,

Link to this please?

I assume that's a quoting error, but there were several news sites floating it around. Here's Gamesradar's

yes, quoting error. i did not say that.

mharr7

Feb 17, 2008
We seem to be having several quoting errors. Nice job mharr7. :p

ya i still cant figure it out...i quoted him quoting ppl, so i deleted all the other quotes leave one end quote....ehh who cares, i got the link i wanted:cool: