So once we all have our free health insurance

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
and add another 40+ million people to the system, where do we get the extra DR and nurses to serve these people. This isn't a debate about whether nationlized health program is or is not a good thing. Its hard enough finding good Drs now without waiting forever, That many more people will surely put a major strain on the system.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: todpod
and add another 40+ million people to the system, where do we get the extra DR and nurses to serve these people. This isn't a debate about whether nationlized health program is or is not a good thing. Its hard enough finding good Drs now without waiting forever, That many more people will surely put a major strain on the system.

Supply and Demand... If eight toed zebra's are demanded someone will supply it.
The Med Schools will enroll more students and it be done.
The current criteria considers how many MDs are needed.
Statistically, however, the unenrolled tend not to visit the MD often unless it is an emergency... or hospital issue.
We'll need more golf courses too and caddies.
Invest in Calloway.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
So you are saying 40 Million people should remain without medical care because there aren't enough doctors to go around for everyone?
i guess the government will also have to subsidise nurse and doctoral training to encourage people to enroll. Where there is a will, there is a way.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
So you are saying 40 Million people should remain without medical care because there aren't enough doctors to go around for everyone?
i guess the government will also have to subsidise nurse and doctoral training to encourage people to enroll. Where there is a will, there is a way.

We can import them like Canada does. They get a better life, we get good doctors, everybody wins.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I thought only Iraq gets that, the rest of the states don't.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Well you aren't technically adding 40 million sick people. But we will need more nurses (not sure about doctors since everywhere I look I see one). The best method would be to have the government offer scholarships to potential nurses and by importing them. I did a research paper on nationalized vs socialized and an interesting thing I found out is that many hospital beds aren't even utilized in this country. I don't remember the exact number but it was around 50% so that won't be a problem. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be damn proud of my country if they ever did something like this. This would shut everyone in the world up.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
No I am not saying that people sould be without health insurance. You cannot at 50,000(?) doctors to the system that easy. We should be expanding med schools right now if we want enough Drs in 10 yrs.
I read an article a couple of months ago that 6000 qualified canidates were turned doen for nursing school because of lack of space in schools, we need to address this now before we add to the system or everybody will be waiting months to get anything done.
Its not fair to foreign countries to be robbing them of their Drs for are benefit, we have the ability to address our shortage if we make the comittment to it.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
US medical schools are too tough and too lengthy. I have no problem with them being tough, but I think full scale medical training should begin at undergrad level, and not have to wait till grad school. I think medicine should be undergrad major. This whole premed thing is stupid. You waste 4 years learning something else, instead of training for the medical field directly.
I also don't see why residents have to work 100 hrs a week for almost no money under the excuse of on the job training. I think 40 hrs a week of on the job training is sufficient, and anything above that is just added stress. If you are running on 4 hours of sleep, you aren't going to be learning much.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would guess there is a good chance that 40 million people getting regular medical care would cost less and take fewer Doctors than 40 million people getting emergency room medical care after they get really sick.

edit- either way, it is getting paid for by somebody, if my guess above is correct then that is one good economic reason for not continuing to waste money doing it the way it is done now.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
So once we all have our free health insurance

Umm...it won't be free. If you pay taxes you'll be paying twice...you'll still have your premiums in addition to the new taxes required to pay for the government bloat.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I don't know much about the US healthcare system - but I was under the impression that "it was a misconception" that you needed health insurance to receive medical attention. If that is the case where does this 40 million number come from and what is there "medical status"?

Cheers,

Andy

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Fencer128
I don't know much about the US healthcare system - but I was under the impression that "it was a misconception" that you needed health insurance to receive medical attention. If that is the case where does this 40 million number come from and what is there "medical status"?

Cheers,

Andy

Without medical insurance you will not be denied service, but the service you get may not be prompt or the best available.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The system being pushed by Gephardt is just a rehash of the FUBAR'd mess her highness Hillary tried to foist on us back in '93.
It aint gonna happen.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Fencer128

Cheers,

Andy

Without medical insurance you will not be denied service, but the service you get may not be prompt or the best available.

As a rough guide, can anyone tell me what it would cost (monthly say) to get the cheapest access to the best care/drugs/techniques via health insurance (assuming you're healthy when you sign up).

Cheers,

Andy

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
it's not a big secret that the US has probably the best "Emergency" medical care available.
The problem is that the "basic" health care sucks for the 40 million americans without insurance.

That's why the US has the most expensive health care system in the world but doesn't score better then other western countries.

(I'm not from the US -- I got this info from some studies that you can find online)

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
As a rough guide, can anyone tell me what it would cost (monthly say) to get the cheapest access to the best care/drugs/techniques via health insurance (assuming you're healthy when you sign up).

Anyone got some figures?

Cheers,

Andy

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Anyone got some figures?

Cheers,

Andy

there are some threads in OT about this

if i recall, some people paid 80$ / month and others 500$ / month

I also don't understand the big differences -- we need some americans to explain this

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: todpod

Ask Canada....ooops, they are even worse off then the US and they've had nationalized healthcare for how long now....

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool

See you promote the same typical myth. No one in America goes without basic medical care. Surgeries, yes, but medical care is guaranteed in every state.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Well you aren't technically adding 40 million sick people. But we will need more nurses (not sure about doctors since everywhere I look I see one). The best method would be to have the government offer scholarships to potential nurses and by importing them. I did a research paper on nationalized vs socialized and an interesting thing I found out is that many hospital beds aren't even utilized in this country. I don't remember the exact number but it was around 50% so that won't be a problem. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be damn proud of my country if they ever did something like this. This would shut everyone in the world up.

that's right, we need to worry more about what other countries think about us.
rolleye.gif

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
but I think full scale medical training should begin at undergrad level, and not have to wait till grad school.
I've always thought this too. It would drop the cost of health care in the US. There's no use having someone by a psych major only to then go to med school. We should have law school start right away too.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Can't such information simply be found on Yahoo! health insurance search thingie? The cost depends a lot on age.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
but I think full scale medical training should begin at undergrad level, and not have to wait till grad school.
I've always thought this too. It would drop the cost of health care in the US. There's no use having someone by a psych major only to then go to med school. We should have law school start right away too.

most people graduate high school without being able to think. university acts as a weed-out system for the professional schools.