So my parents want me to dump my girlfriend and set me up with some other girls..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Two chicks spoiling for you to call them? It's like that Offspring song... "You know you wanna hit that.... you know you wanna hit that!"

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I have no similar experiences. I'd advise you to politely tell your parents to fvck off. :) It's your life, not theirs.

What if his parents are rich?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Walleye
Originally posted by: dighn
it's your life...

and it's now or never...

Living on a prayer...

Tell them if they don't stay out of your life, you'll marry a nice jewish boy.

Have you met any of the girls that they have in mind?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Mucho
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I have no similar experiences. I'd advise you to politely tell your parents to fvck off. :) It's your life, not theirs.

What if his parents are rich?
How would that change it?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: erub
They feel that they made a mistake with my sister, who is now probably going to get married to a guy who they strongly don't approve of..they bitch about them all the time, and them not wanting "to make the same mistake" with me (their only other child). So I brought home a girl over the holidays from school, and they really don't like her. Strange thing is that she wants to convert to my religion (Judaism), and this is how I met her. They don't like the fact that her parents don't know she is converting yet, they think that she is very dishonest..what's really weird is that every other girl I've dated has also been not Jewish and they havent had 1/10th the problem with them as they have with her. I'm not so sure how long our relationship will continue anyway, because I have been thinking about breaking up with her before she met my parents..but I think its kind of strange that my parents have 2 specific girls that they want me to call up and ask out. Not sure what to do about that..

Anybody else have similar experiences?

well since you are still a child why not let your parents guide you through life! they have made all the mistakes and know how to avoid them!

In the about what 4 years when your balls drop (you are what 10?) you will have the courage to tell them its your life and you will be the one that has to live with whoever you chose and not them!

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: edro13
Turn gay and bring home a male stripper. That'll teach'em! :D

He doesn't have to turn gay. Just start having a male friend over "often":D Oh yeah, close the door to your room;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket

He doesn't have to turn gay. Just start having a male friend over "often":D Oh yeah, close the door to your room;)

or buy a male-to-male s-video cord and let his mom find it! :D

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Stop letting your parents push you around like you have no backbone. I really can't stand when people let others do that to them. It's your life. They aren't marrying your girfriend you are. Date whomever you wish and they can either live with the idea or without you in their life. That should hopefully get them thinking about the consequences of interfering with your own personal matters.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
How is letting the idiots of ATOT tell you what to do better than letting your parents?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: NutBucket

or buy a male-to-male s-video cord and let his mom find it! :D
RPFLROFLROFL

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
As much as it pains me to admit this, when I look back on the choices I made in adolescensce and early adulthood, those times that my parents didn't think I was making a wise choice, they were usually right.

Take the time to consider what your parents are saying and why they're against your current girlfriend.

Ultimately, of course, we all make our own choices.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Why don't you at least go out with the other 2 at least once to make your parents ... umm... be quiet.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
As much as it pains me to admit this, when I look back on the choices I made in adolescensce and early adulthood, those times that my parents didn't think I was making a wise choice, they were usually right.

Take the time to consider what your parents are saying and why they're against your current girlfriend.

Ultimately, of course, we all make our own choices.

why should he look to his PARENTS to make a decision about his love life? I can understand when they give advice about work, jobs, school, etc, but your love life is your own and who the fsck are they to mess with it?

Tell your parents to fsck off and mind their own business. Don't cave to them because they don't like the girl you're dating.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Why would anyone want to be in a relationship with someone that their parents don't like?

I am not saying that they should only go out with ppl their parents choose, and if the parents are like that with every potential partner then I can see blowing off their opinion. But if there are serious issues with a girl, perhaps the parents have a point that needs to be explored. It is a very uncomfortable situation for a young girl to be in.... in a relationship with someone that her partner's family doesnt like.

I did not learn from my mother's mistakes, and there was no guarantee that my daughter would learn from mine. But that did/does not stop me from voicing my opinion when I think she is making a mistake. And if she ever brought home a guy that I did not like (there would have to be valid reasons for me to feel that way) you can bet I will make my opinions known. She will still make her own decisions, but at least they will be based on more than just her emotions.

I think it would be remiss for parents to just blindly accept their kids choices in partners. I do not agree with forbiding a kid to see someone if they are over 18yrs old, but if there are serious issues with someone, why would any parent turn a blind eye and let their kid get hurt?

Unless of course the parents are like that with everyone the kid brings home.... then I would suggest going about your business and not bringing anyone home. After a while, they should get the message.

:)

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I agree with some of the people here. At least consider what your parents have to say. Quite often they are wiser than their offspring. :)

ups

Christoph

Jan 9, 2001
Tell your parents they should break up, you know some other people you'd like them to ask out.

adelphi

Banned
Dec 28, 2003
well not sure if this is that time but at some point in your life, tell your parents they should give you advice and directions, not commands

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
i'd go out with them if you aren't liking the current g/f

if you don't like them, come home pants unzipped, tear your shirt a little and untuck it, and add some lipstick smudges...hope you run into you mother on the way in (sounds like she'd be waiting up for you anyway), make sure you say 'THANKS MOM, that girl is a lot of fun, I can't wait to do...er I mean see het again....who's the next one going to be by the way, anyways, I gotta take a shower....talk to you in the morning....THANKS AGAIN!'

They will butt out of your choices for you after that. TMI is not good for strict parents. If they blame you say it was her fault...you didn't pick her.

Å