So my parents want me to dump my girlfriend and set me up with some other girls..

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
They feel that they made a mistake with my sister, who is now probably going to get married to a guy who they strongly don't approve of..they bitch about them all the time, and them not wanting "to make the same mistake" with me (their only other child). So I brought home a girl over the holidays from school, and they really don't like her. Strange thing is that she wants to convert to my religion (Judaism), and this is how I met her. They don't like the fact that her parents don't know she is converting yet, they think that she is very dishonest..what's really weird is that every other girl I've dated has also been not Jewish and they havent had 1/10th the problem with them as they have with her. I'm not so sure how long our relationship will continue anyway, because I have been thinking about breaking up with her before she met my parents..but I think its kind of strange that my parents have 2 specific girls that they want me to call up and ask out. Not sure what to do about that..

Anybody else have similar experiences?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: erub
They feel that they made a mistake with my sister, who is now probably going to get married to a guy who they strongly don't approve of..they bitch about them all the time, and them not wanting "to make the same mistake" with me (their only other child). So I brought home a girl over the holidays from school, and they really don't like her. Strange thing is that she wants to convert to my religion (Judaism), and this is how I met her. They don't like the fact that her parents don't know she is converting yet, they think that she is very dishonest..what's really weird is that every other girl I've dated has also been not Jewish and they havent had 1/10th the problem with them as they have with her. I'm not so sure how long our relationship will continue anyway, because I have been thinking about breaking up with her before she met my parents..but I think its kind of strange that my parents have 2 specific girls that they want me to call up and ask out. Not sure what to do about that..

Anybody else have similar experiences?

No, but I've heard of it. Personally, I'd rather just not date than date whoever my parents told me to.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Your parents need to get off their stupid religous high horse and accept the fact that you can make your own choices in life and in your relationships. Your parents aren't dating this girl nor living your life, you are.

Why are you even allowing them to influence you like this? Have some self-respect!

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Tell your parents you were thinking of giving the current GF the heave, but since they felt compelled to interfere to such a degree you'll be getting married now.

NinjaGnome

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
My mom hasnt really liked any of the girls I've been out with but she has never told me I should go out with a certain girl over the current girlfriend I had. My mom is actually starting to like my new girlfriend somewhat.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
ask them if you can date both at the same time and ask if they are in to that sort of thing.

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
Sounds like your parents are trying to arrange your marriage. I thought that kinda crap only happened within the caste system

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
Hehe, my mom is like that, suggesting that I pursue so and so. Fortunatley in my case, I tend to agree with her. :cool:

optimistic

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Yo_Ma-Ma
Tell your parents you were thinking of giving the current GF the heave, but since they felt compelled to interfere to such a degree you'll be getting married now.
HAHAHA I like this idea. Go with this:evil:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Tell them that you're sorry that they aren't happy with their lives and feel the need to mess with yours, but you're going to go out with whomever you want.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
ask them if you can date both at the same time and ask if they are in to that sort of thing.

as in one girl one night, different girl the next night?

or both girls in one date?

anyway

tell your parents to mind their own business

as a side note: any time i hear anything involving jews, i hear cartman in my head yelling at kyle....anyone else have that problem?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Sounds like a Modern Day Screenplay of "Fiddler on the Roof" except instead of having three daughters your parents have a rebel daughter and a nancyboy son!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I have no similar experiences. I'd advise you to politely tell your parents to fvck off. :) It's your life, not theirs.

Thejewcake

Dec 29, 2003
Seems to me that your parents just dont want their kids to get married at all. Ive heard situations where the better a match, the worse the parents hate the girl/boyfriend. I have heard this situation over and over with boys more than with girls. Its not that the parents are mean or vindictive, they just (especially the mother of a boy) get a little jealous or have a hard time letting go. Anyways, that has been my experience.

Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Sounds like a Modern Day Screenplay of "Fiddler on the Roof" except instead of having three daughters your parents have a rebel daughter and a nancyboy son!

Thanks for making me spit milk on my keyboard. :disgust: