so my dad wants to buy a desktop PC from me this is my chance to get a new CPU and MB

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I remember the death of a cheap PSU clearly, it was in 2003. Came home and the missus said her PC just started smoking. Both the CD and the DVD drives had ejected their trays when it happened, kinda like tongues hanging out. If there had been two cartoon X's for eyes it would have been a perfect death scene. It fried all the insides, too. Burnt chips and surface mount components everywhere. Pretty sure it was a cheap case and PSU combo that I had bought at Fry's a few years earlier. But after I saw that carnage, I never bought a cheap PSU again.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
hmm I just canceled the order because

I could get a $50 mainboard haswell on amazon and

And the 3.6GHZ i3 is $122

So this means this setup is costing just $10 more than FX 6300 AMD

So it seems to make more sense to order the intel

Too bad your not near a Microcenter
http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 8230/mb combo for $140...holy seessh..I don't even need this =/

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
Amazingly I put this PSU in another PC with a Athlon X4 760K CPU along with the same 7850 video card it just works fine

It works 100% perfect after many hours in the heat playing most intensive games.
Then when I put it back in the intel haswell system it shuts off ASAP again.

Just Amazing because the AMD CPU uses more watts

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Amazingly I put this PSU in another PC with a Athlon X4 760K CPU along with the same 7850 video card it just works fine

It works 100% perfect after many hours in the heat playing most intensive games.
Then when I put it back in the intel haswell system it shuts off ASAP again.

Just Amazing because the AMD CPU uses more watts

Maybe it's not "Haswell compatible"?

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
^ no its not haswell compatible. Its a 2010 PSU cheapo $35W cooler master elite 460W

However I am curious as to why must a PSU be haswell compatible? I just recieved my new Rosewell Capstone Gold 750W PSU today so I will install it weekend cause I have exams these days.

But on the rosewill it says "haswell compatible"

I am confused what does a PSU have to do with intel haswell system? isn't power just power?

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
^ no its not haswell compatible. Its a 2010 PSU cheapo $35W cooler master elite 460W

However I am curious as to why must a PSU be haswell compatible? I just recieved my new Rosewell Capstone Gold 750W PSU today so I will install it weekend cause I have exams these days.

But on the rosewill it says "haswell compatible"

I am confused what does a PSU have to do with intel haswell system? isn't power just power?

No:

http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
Guys my monitor has a faint flicker like a quick dimming of the screen that lasts a split second.

You notice it on white backgrounds. The screen looks normal but the dimming is so quick and so slight you sometimes wonder if your eyes are playing tricks on you.

I had my mother look at it and she says she is also seeing the faint dimming flickering.

Its a HP 2509m its a really beautiful 25" Monitor I have it since 2010 but I do not believe 4 years is much I know monitors last longer than this

I have it hooked up to a forza voltage regulator its a cheapo AVR but better than just plugging in regular outlet right?

What could be the cause of this and how might it be fixed? can I do it on my own?

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
yeah just like thatone thing went wrong and a series of things went wrong in a row

like fixing a car