so my dad wants to buy a desktop PC from me this is my chance to get a new CPU and MB

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
Guys quick my dad wants to buy a new desktop but since my haswell pentium G system is brand new I could just give him my parts and buy me a new mainboard and CPU

The question here now is should I go i3 or FX 6300?
i5 is still out of my budget and a no go for me.

I will have to be buying brand new mainboard and CPU

Say I was to go FX 6300 but I am not going for overclocking.

This will be mainly for gaming. Let me know what you guys think here

Which CPU is likely to run future upcoming games better i3 or fx 6300?
according to this link the i3 is better thana fx 6300 in BF4 multi player

http://www.hardwarepal.com/wp-conte...-High-Settings-NVidia-770-GTX-4GB-vs-7970.jpg

Mar 10, 2006
What games are you likely to play? Look at benchmarks on reputable sites for the games that matter to you the most and make your chip decision based on that. No one size "fits" all, IMO.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
If you go the FX6300 route there is the MSI 970 Gaming for $90 (95W CPU only no OC) or a 990FX motherboard for $125+.

On the other hand if you get a new socket 1150 i3 chip both you and your dad have a future upgrade path when the Skylake chips come out next year since they will also run in Socket 1150 I believe.

The AMD AM3+ platform has just seen probably its last chips released and there should be no future upgrade path. It doesn't support PCI-E 3.0 or USB 3 natively and is just really hard to recommend at this point.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
On the other hand if you get a new socket 1150 i3 chip both you and your dad have a future upgrade path when the Skylake chips come out next year since they will also run in Socket 1150 I believe.

^^^That. You would always have the option to upgrade, and your used i3 would probably be worth more on the used market.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
I really would stay away from AM3+ if building new. You have already posted multiple times about needing more CPU power. I would just bite the bullet and get a low end i5.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
If you go the FX6300 route there is the MSI 970 Gaming for $90 (95W CPU only no OC) or a 990FX motherboard for $125+.

MSI 970 Gaming supports 125W TDP CPUs and can OC every AM3+ CPU. It doesnt support 220W TDP CPUs though. It is an excellent Gaming board with Killer Ethernet and Sound Blaster Cinema 2 Audio.

MSI 970 Gaming CPU Support

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Wait, I thought Skylake was abandoning integrated voltage regulation. So it can't work with the same socket, can it?

Or did you mean Broadwell, which will work with the same socket?

Mar 10, 2006
I would just bite the bullet and get a low end i5.

That's what I'd do, too. I recently upgraded one of my machines from an i3 4130 to an i5 4590 and it was a worthwhile upgrade for what I do with the machine (gaming + aggressive multitasking).

The i3 also seems to have very good resale value, too. Makes the upgrade less painful.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Skylake uses LGA1151. So its not an upgrade path.

john5220

Mar 27, 2014
How much is it going to cost to oc the fx 6300?

Cheapest board and cooler? But board that will last 10 years

john5220

Mar 27, 2014

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Around $50-70, compared to a cheapish stock setup with a decent motherboard. Not far from just buying a Core i5, but still cheaper. Not worth the savings, IMO. Get an i5 with an OK Turbo, like a 4590, and roll with that.

Cheapest board and cooler?
I wouldn't trust the cheapest board to stay OCed for years. If prices are relatively like here, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo is a hard value to beat for the cooler. There are many good 970 chipset motherboards.

But board that will last 10 years
As I've said before: keep money handy for parts failures. My last 5 major upgrades happened due to parts failing, with 2 of them being either Thor or the power company taking out my motherboard, despite surge protection (though, I've seen surge protectors go !POW!, and protect what's plugged in, as well, and found melted ones that sacrificed themselves successfully). The other 3 were entirely or partly my fault, back when I was overclocking cheap gear :). Yet, many 10+ year old $50 motherboards are still happily chugging along, with whiny 2-phase vregs, and old PSUs, plugged straight into the wall.

It's a matter of odds, not assurances. Anyone who tells you some PC part will last X years hasn't worked with enough PCs over enough years. It's not that they can't, or shouldn't, or don't, last, but that sometimes, **** happens. You're better off preparing for that and not having to deal with it, than to be blindsided if you do have to deal with it, because it so often happens at the most inopportune times (mostly because you're used to your stuff just working, and come to rely on it continuing to do so).

Quality of power and cooling will more or less define a good motherboard's life span, and you do not have complete control over those factors, especially power. To reasonably guarantee 10 years will cost far more than replacing the entire PC at any point. You are always taking a chance, and the chances for failure increase over time, both due to having had more chances to fail, and slight decreases in resiliency from aging parts. The best assurances you can have, at a reasonable cost, are spare PCs, and/or the money on hand to replace the PC, and/or the failed parts.

--

What is your current motherboard?

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Frankly, I would just get your Dad to buy a prebuilt PC from someone like Dell. It will meet his needs just fine, and he will get the peace of mind of a warranty.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

Don't get the 6300. AM3+ is just too old. It's a dead socket with old features. Even if the performance is comparable to an i3 in your price range, 1150 will have vastly better features.

If price is really an issue, just buy a used Z68 + 2500k combo on the forums. They're super reasonable in price and still highly competent chips.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
Frankly, I would just get your Dad to buy a prebuilt PC from someone like Dell. It will meet his needs just fine, and he will get the peace of mind of a warranty.
Who needs a warranty when you've got a son who can fix the machine on-site? You never know what kind of cut-rate Chinese junk you're going to find in a store-bought Dell. I'm not sure they even sell consumer desktops anymore, because your average buyer today wants a laptop or a tablet.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
If price is really an issue, just buy a used Z68 + 2500k combo on the forums. They're super reasonable in price and still highly competent chips.

I like this idea best. If OP will be replacing his board anyway, a used Sandy Bridge combo will provide excellent value.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Buy a 4790k. lol.

In all seriousness the i3 leaves you with options 3 years from now. If you go FX6300 you basically have no upgrade option, because if it runs too slow with 6 threads its gonna run too slow with 8 threads also. There are plenty of tasks that run faster on a stock i3 than even the highest overclocked FX.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Who needs a warranty when you've got a son who can fix the machine on-site? You never know what kind of cut-rate Chinese junk you're going to find in a store-bought Dell. I'm not sure they even sell consumer desktops anymore, because your average buyer today wants a laptop or a tablet.
They do, and the quality is moderate. XPS, and higher-end Inspiron AIOs, are pretty good quality. Most of the Inspiron line is meh, though.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Don't get the 6300. AM3+ is just too old. It's a dead socket with old features. Even if the performance is comparable to an i3 in your price range, 1150 will have vastly better features.

Sure, just don't say AM3+ is a dead socket, and then recommend a socket (1155) that also is dead.