So my buddy at work got his voter registration

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
That voter guide should be the trigger that immediately ends that church's tax exempt status.
In that case we should end the tax exempt status of every church in the country.

Ding, ding ding....we have a winner Johnny. Tell him what he has won.

Except for the fact that there are plenty of churches inside the USA that aren't involved in politics at all.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
That voter guide should be the trigger that immediately ends that church's tax exempt status.
In that case we should end the tax exempt status of every church in the country.

Likewise the tax exempt status of the NAACP should also be revoked. Fair is fair, right?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre

Except for the fact that there are plenty of churches inside the USA that aren't involved in politics at all.

Even so, what does a church being involved in talking about or pushing politics have to do with being taxed? What exactly makes one qualified for being taxed? You can disagree with how an organization goes about doing things in regard to politics, but how does that qualify them for being taxed? Are they breaking rules in regard to tax exemption?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: spittledip

Even so, what does a church being involved in talking about or pushing politics have to do with being taxed? What exactly makes one qualified for being taxed? You can disagree with how an organization goes about doing things in regard to politics, but how does that qualify them for being taxed? Are they breaking rules in regard to tax exemption?

Yes they are. A specific part of their tax exempt status is the requirement that they refrain from partisan politics.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
ah so. not very smart. I guess the problem is that it is hard to nail all churches based on the practices of a few.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
This is in Oregon BTW...

Anyone care to guess witch way his church told him how he should vote?

Yes.... All "R's" .....

I am wondering. This dude lives in Lowell Oregon a one stop light type of town. I think they only have a "FLASHING" stop light...

Anyway, he can't be the ONLY one. How many here got the same material?

Would be interesting to me if you shared your information...

Wait a second. I doubt this is the whole story. If it is, then yes, the Church is in the wrong.

However, many churches will hand out flyers to church members about ALL candidates, and discuss what each of their positions are. If this is the case, I see nothing wrong with it.

Do you have a scan of the pamphlet?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

By gosh...Professional John and I agree again...not only should ALL churches not be tax exempt, but the donations that people give or tithe to these churches should NOT be tax deductable. Want to give to your church or charity? Go ahead, just don't expect the rest of us to pay for it through higher taxes. Allowing deductions for church tithes amounts to government support of the churches.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: ericlp
This is in Oregon BTW...

Anyone care to guess witch way his church told him how he should vote?

Yes.... All "R's" .....

I am wondering. This dude lives in Lowell Oregon a one stop light type of town. I think they only have a "FLASHING" stop light...

Anyway, he can't be the ONLY one. How many here got the same material?

Would be interesting to me if you shared your information...

Wait a second. I doubt this is the whole story. If it is, then yes, the Church is in the wrong.

However, many churches will hand out flyers to church members about ALL candidates, and discuss what each of their positions are. If this is the case, I see nothing wrong with it.

Do you have a scan of the pamphlet?

There are alot of churches out there that will endorse based only on pro-life.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Pamphlets? Ha. In the summer of 2001, my pastor's brother in law gave a sermon (with no official religious training. He worked in the Pentagon but wasn't hurt in the 9/11 attack) on how Bush was going to be the savior of America after eight years sliding moral values.

Anyway, voter guides are practically meaningless anyway. If they go to a white, protestant church, they are probably going to vote for the R's whether or not their church put a stack of voter guides in the foyer. If you're a liberal at the church, like myself, a voter guide isn't going to make me see the light of voting Republican.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn

Likewise the tax exempt status of the NAACP should also be revoked. Fair is fair, right?

Show me in that link where it says the NAACP support Clintion?

Oh wait it does not. In fact the headline says... Alice Huffman Endorses Clinton. NOT NAACP endorses...

The OP said the church was saying whom to vote for. Now if the pastor in their free time said vote for person B then that would be legal. But the church as a whole does it then they cross the line and lose tax status.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Registing people to vote is not illegal. Are you against people being registerd to vote so they can exercise their right under the law. Are you an idiot? Or is it only illegal when Republicans are registered to vote!

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
prof J, I don't expect a TAX EXEMPT group/organization to tell anyone who to vote for, period

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So when the NAACP endorses someone running for office, you think they should lose their tax exempt status?

Dont you think church members have a right to freedom of speech?

How is this different from when the Catholic church tells it members if they vote for bills in congress like abortion then that makes them not elligible to be a good member in standing? Or if they lie they will go to hell and should not take communion!

Personally I belong to a church but instead of telling me who to vote for we teach people what is right and wrong and then tell people to vote their conscience. I dont really think any church or organization with tax exempt status has a right to try to enfluence the public. However, you would have to start revoking an awful lot of tax exempt people if you start down this road. Beware of what you ask for because a lot of tax exempt groups lean left as well as right.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
Registing people to vote is not illegal. Are you against people being registerd to vote so they can exercise their right under the law. Are you an idiot? Or is it only illegal when Republicans are registered to vote!

WTF are you talking about. We are talking about how the OPs friend got a voter pamphlet telling them whom they should vote for. That is aginst the rules for keeping tax free status.

So when the NAACP endorses someone running for office, you think they should lose their tax exempt status?

Dont you think church members have a right to freedom of speech?

When has the NAACP endorced someone?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Are you an idiot or did you just not read the thread? Churches are tax exempt and this one in question is directing people to vote (R).

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
labor unions flat out tell their members on who to vote for. and not to long ago if it was found out you voted against the unions wishes you were in some deep doo-doo.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-old-naac_n_81946.html

http://www.lcms.org/pages/rpage.asp?NavID=5726

http://www.au.org/site/News2?a...1441&news_iv_ctrl=2422

http://www.knowthelies.com/?q=node/53

So after looking for tax exempt and endorsements I find more articles are about the NAACP than any other organization!

I say it is illegal to forbid churches or any organization from endorsing anyone running for office. This is because these types of laws prohibit or take away from freedom of speech and many clergy members on both sides of the isle are then living if fear that anything they speak against can be interpreted as political speech. So this law or ruling about political speech and churches violates the freedom of speech clause of the United States Constitution.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Article on Endorsement of the NAACP for Hillary Clinton. . . .

Revoke their tax exempt status already.

Did you even read that article by chance?

It was about Hillary's campaign making an announcement that the California NAACP President had personally endorsed Hillary. It was not an endorsement by the NAACP itself.

Lowell/Dexter Lake is a beautiful area (they have virtually no industry but tourism), but Lane county and Oregon's 4th district are strongly Democratic. Eugene (the largest city in the area and home of UO) is sometimes joking referred to as Berkeley, OR. So it goes to show how prevalent this problem is when a church would potentially risk its tax-free status in an effort that is certain to fail.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic

Article on Endorsement of the NAACP for Hillary Clinton. . . .

Revoke their tax exempt status already.

Did you even read that article by chance?

It was about Hillary's campaign making an announcement that the California NAACP President had personally endorsed Hillary. It was not an endorsement by the NAACP itself.

Lowell/Dexter Lake is a beautiful area (they have virtually no industry but tourism), but Lane county and Oregon's 4th district are strongly Democratic. Eugene (the largest city in the area and home of UO) is sometimes joking referred to as Berkeley, OR. So it goes to show how prevalent this problem is when a church would potentially risk its tax-free status in an effort that is certain to fail.

Yep he is not even the first in this thread to try that. I guess facts confuse them.

May 16, 2000
Since I have an IQ over 65 I don't attend church. However, there would be absolutely zero shock if EVERY church in the country offered the exact same advice. It's why I vote republican less and less...if a zealot wants it it HAS to be bad.

Feb 16, 2005
Republicans are the 'champions' of religious values why does this surprise you?

Do you really expect a church to suggest people vote for a party that is pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage?

BTW How many black churches do you think hand out pamphlets that tell people to vote Democrat?

npj, again and again you amuse me. 'pro-abortion' right, ok. and neo-cons are pro-war.
Being a registered democrat, I am not 'pro-abortion' (a very clever way to spin it for your single-celled friends to foam at the mouth about), I am pro-choice, in other words keep your hypocritical views and ideology off my body.
'pro-abortion' does not equal 'pro-choice'
See the difference? they're completely different words, with completely different definitions, however, by label 'pro-abortion' you make it sound like we WANT abortions, no johnny, we just want to have the right to have a choice. that's all.
I can do this in crayon if it would help you to comprehend it.

And yes, this church needs to get it's goddamned hands off of MY constitution. repug's are the moral choice....ok. right.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Actually, the overwhelming majority of churches are not involved in politics. So in a way, PJ & Co. are just covering up for the radical minority that are involved with their 'keep the whole class after school' arguments, i.e. they're trying to make the majority feel threatened and get them involved as well.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Citrix
labor unions flat out tell their members on who to vote for. and not to long ago if it was found out you voted against the unions wishes you were in some deep doo-doo.

Give up tha anti-union hate. How would the union know how you voted?

I used to be a business agent for my union. We advised people how to vote based on what we saw as the best interest for our members, (vote for the party that supports the right to organize and is for building and enhancing the infrastructure) but if someone said, "No, I'm voting republican." then that's up to them. (Although why a union person would vote for the party that wants to do away with unions is beyond me)