So my buddy at work got his voter registration

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
This is in Oregon BTW...

Anyone care to guess witch way his church told him how he should vote?

Yes.... All "R's" .....

I am wondering. This dude lives in Lowell Oregon a one stop light type of town. I think they only have a "FLASHING" stop light...

Anyway, he can't be the ONLY one. How many here got the same material?

Would be interesting to me if you shared your information...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Republicans are the 'champions' of religious values why does this surprise you?

Do you really expect a church to suggest people vote for a party that is pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage?

BTW How many black churches do you think hand out pamphlets that tell people to vote Democrat?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
That voter guide should be the trigger that immediately ends that church's tax exempt status.
In that case we should end the tax exempt status of every church in the country.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I sent him an Email... To scan, and send me back in email.

Hopefully he will do it. If so I will post a link to the material!

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Do you really expect a church to suggest people vote for a party that is pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage?

BTW How many black churches do you think hand out pamphlets that tell people to vote Democrat?

It doesn't surprise me at all!

The point is...... It's not religious Values but rather GREEN values in the form of yes the MONEY sign! When did God need more Money?

When did we start allowing religion to influence politics? I thought this was a big No...No...

Yes we should end tex exempt status for every church and stop handing out $$$$ to them! If they want to play dirty then let's start taxing the crap out of em....

Since you seem to have big issues about paying down the debt and balancing the budget.

We can use all the tax revenue from the churches and all the money that we saved by NOT giving them any $$$ to pay down our debt!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I am not sure the church is handing out those pamphlets based on money, they are most likely doing it based on moral beliefs.

I don't think the government will ever take away the tax free status of churches, to much political power involved in them.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
That voter guide should be the trigger that immediately ends that church's tax exempt status.
In that case we should end the tax exempt status of every church in the country.

Any church that's instructing their followers who to vote for, yes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You realize that an explicit provision of tax exempt status is to not engage in partisan political activity, right? Certainly you can see why telling your parishioners to vote for all Republicans is partisan political activity, right?

We SHOULD end tax exempt status for all churches in this country, but I certainly don't see that happening any time soon.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

We should. No religious place should get tax exempt at all.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

I agree. As soon as the church becomes openly involved in partisan politics, they should lose their tax-exempt status.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
In 2004, I went to church frequently. Its Catholic, btw, and the biggest Catholic church in Minnesota. They wouldn't endorse any particular candidate, but said people should vote for the person who is the least likely to support abortion, euthanasia, captial punishment, and any other thing which resulted in loss of life or liberty.

Alot of people might say "They are endorsing republicans..." But I really don't think so, I think they were endorsing a candidate which did not exist.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Just like the govt should not be mixed up with the church, the church should not be involved with politics. They compromise their message when doing so.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
This is in Oregon BTW...

Anyway care to guess witch way his church told him how he should vote?

Yes.... All "R's" .....

I am wondering. This dude lives in Lowell Oregon a one stop light type of town. I think they only have a "FLASHING" stop light...

Anyway, he can't be the ONLY one. How many here got the same material?

Would be interesting to me if you shared your information...

What is interesting is that a white protestant church will generally support the republicans but a black protestant church usually supports the democrats. So somehow, although they read from the same bible and worship the same God, they both find one party morally superior to the other based upon their religious beliefs? It is pathetic and ridiculous. Once the church becomes a part of the culture, it can no longer effectively deliver the intended message.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001

Absofuckinlutely. No religious organization should be tax exempt nor should they have access to any taxpayer funds. Screw the office of faith based initiatives and other official organizations. They should be shut down. Unfortunately its the people who go to these houses of worship who enable such behavior by religion buy not actively discouraging such messages from churches and other places.

Separation of church and state should be a huge wall.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

Absofuckinlutely. No religious organization should be tax exempt nor should they have access to any taxpayer funds. Screw the office of faith based initiatives and other official organizations. They should be shut down. Unfortunately its the people who go to these houses of worship who enable such behavior by religion buy not actively discouraging such messages from churches and other places.

Access to taxpayer funds, I agree with.

What about Catholic Charities which operate off church funds? What about their nursing homes? Schools? Homeless shelters? Emergency assistance services? They are tax exempt because they provide services to the community in which the state would normally have to pay for. Should the donations to these charities be taxed? What about secular charities not associated with religion?

"Separation of church and state."
"make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Taxing a church would violate the bill of rights.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: brandonb

What about Catholic Charities which operate off church funds? What about their nursing homes? Schools? Homeless shelters? Emergency assistance services? They are tax exempt because they provide services to the community in which the state would normally have to pay for. Should the donations to these charities be taxed? What about secular charities not associated with religion?

"make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Church funds? Don't they pass around a plate? And don't those who give get a tax write off... And Of the Money collected, what % of that get's taxed? I presume any funds dumped into that plate (suppose to be 10% of your earnings) is tax free and clear of anything....

So the above should cover your church funds...

What about nursing homes? Isn't that why we have SSI and Medicare and IRA / Mutual funds that not taxed by the way....

Schools? What's wrong with Public schools? Oh yeah, God's children are privileged and apparently need their own funding tax exempt status.

Emergency Assistance Services... sounds like a feel good idea. Isn't that what the national guard is for? The Red Cross and other better organized charities?

Yes, donations should be taxed it's money.... and they are getting a hell of a lot of it!!!

And no... the next preacher that wants to call his McMansion a house of god so he can get by with out paying taxes should have his religious ass thrown in jail....

The crap we let them get away with is amazing!

Like I said I will scan it in if he sends it to me and post it here, but the mean time....

http://www.prayandvote.com/

This will have to do...

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
It's funny how the constant bitching about taxes doesn't extend to churches that are clearly involved in politics and should have to pay taxes whcih would lower taxes on everyone else.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Wouldn't hurt my feelings any.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse74

I agree. As soon as the church becomes openly involved in partisan politics, they should lose their tax-exempt status.

Agreed.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: brandonb

Church funds? Don't they pass around a plate? And don't those who give get a tax write off... And Of the Money collected, what % of that get's taxed? I presume any funds dumped into that plate (suppose to be 10% of your earnings) is tax free and clear of anything....

So the above should cover your church funds...

What about nursing homes? Isn't that why we have SSI and Medicare and IRA / Mutual funds that not taxed by the way....

Schools? What's wrong with Public schools? Oh yeah, God's children are privileged and apparently need their own funding tax exempt status.

Emergency Assistance Services... sounds like a feel good idea. Isn't that what the national guard is for? The Red Cross and other better organized charities?

Yes, donations should be taxed it's money.... and they are getting a hell of a lot of it!!!

And no... the next preacher that wants to call his McMansion a house of god so he can get by with out paying taxes should have his religious ass thrown in jail....

The crap we let them get away with is amazing!

Like I said I will scan it in if he sends it to me and post it here, but the mean time....

http://www.prayandvote.com/

This will have to do...

Thank you for stating what I had in mind.

The only point I would like to add is if those "off church funds" take their ideological inspiration from religion let them get their funding from religion or donations. The church has a lot of resources which they primarily use to further their cause. Perhaps they should put the resources to better use for the charitable purposes they espouse and not look for taxpayer dollars (or whatever currency they use). Its infuriating to see religious charities handing out aid in disasters and either forcing the recipients to convert (directly or subtly) or trying to sell their religion or even only giving to members of their religion.

When they stop doing that completely and give aid without any ideology, like red cross or doctors without frontiers they they can be considered for tax exempt status.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Removing tax exemptions could be a slippery slope since the municipalities would then have the go-ahead to go after property taxes,

Property taxes could eliminate many of the smaller churches and what you would be left with is mega-churches that would assimilate the smaller ones with the green light to go full throttle into politics.

I would rather have many smaller independent churches tax exempt and staying out of politics (with the IRS taking action against those that play politics), than a few mega-churches exercising full legal political power which would make the religious right look like a bunch of amatuers.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Good

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Removing tax exemptions could be a slippery slope since the municipalities would then have the go-ahead to go after property taxes,

Property taxes could eliminate many of the smaller churches and what you would be left with is mega-churches that would assimilate the smaller ones with the green light to go full throttle into politics.

I would rather have many smaller independent churches tax exempt and staying out of politics (with the IRS taking action against those that play politics), than a few mega-churches exercising full legal political power which would make the religious right look like a bunch of amatuers.
Hopfully that would "inspire" smaller churches then to stay out of politics

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

Ding, ding ding....we have a winner Johnny. Tell him what he has won.