So Musk made the spaceship I designed as a kid

Oct 15, 1999
Very cool. But they call it a star ship, it's not a star ship.

Jun 19, 2004
As long as the aliens are women in heels and cone bras, I'm in.

Jul 20, 2001
Looks like an old Atlas.

May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Is it just me or does it seem there's lot of warping in the sheet metal? I feel this is something Elon would not approve of and tell them to redo it. lol. I guess that is more aesthetic though. As long as the panels are solid it should not really affect aerodynamics even if they bend a little. Maybe it's by design too. Kinda like the dimples on a golf ball.

Jul 20, 2001
Is it just me or does it seem there's lot of warping in the sheet metal? I feel this is something Elon would not approve of and tell them to redo it. lol. I guess that is more aesthetic though. As long as the panels are solid it should not really affect aerodynamics even if they bend a little. Maybe it's by design too. Kinda like the dimples on a golf ball.
The Atlas missile was basically a stainless steel balloon held in shape by gas pressure. If the pressure wasn't maintained, the missile collapsed. I suspect that the Hopper has the same type of construction. It saves a lot of weight.

May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
The Atlas missile was basically a stainless steel balloon held in shape by gas pressure. If the pressure wasn't maintained, the missile collapsed. I suspect that the Hopper has the same type of construction. It saves a lot of weight.
Hmm that would make sense. The entire thing would be pressurized when in use, and in space all those panels will buckle out into the right shape. They have to be strong enough for the aerodynamic forces and they most likely are, but they don't necessarily have to be rigid.

Jul 15, 2000
Cool, but Elon's plans to use rockets for rapid passenger travel between cities is just impracticable, way too much fuel consumption and rocket's will always be much, much riskier than jets.

Jul 20, 2001
Cool, but Elon's plans to use rockets for rapid passenger travel between cities is just impracticable, way too much fuel consumption and rocket's will always be much, much riskier than jets.
Yeah but rockets man. :cool:

May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Yeah I don't see that plan actually happening. I think he was mostly demonstrating that it would be possible. It might happen a few times as a proof of concept but yeah I don't see it happening as a normal thing.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I don't see that plan actually happening. I think he was mostly demonstrating that it would be possible. It might happen a few times as a proof of concept but yeah I don't see it happening as a normal thing.
We've had the technology to get to Mars for over 40 years now. We just haven't had the funding. Stuff like rapid travel via sub-orbital rockets should be a cakewalk by now, same deal - no money, no progress! This summer marks the 50-year anniversary of when we first step foot on the moon, if you can believe it. We just chose to invest in emojis & fake hoverboards instead, hahaha.

A lot of human innovation simply boils down to economics. There aren't many problems that people can't solve when put together in groups with a supply of money. We should have stuff way better than things like the Concorde today, but even that was a rush job & fell apart every time it landed. Economics, deadlines, etc.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS