So MPC-HC is still unofficially active is it safe to use though? Would you trust it?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Why hang on to an effectively dead application? What does it do that can't be accomplished by a variety of active applications?

Feb 25, 2011
I wouldn't bother using anything that won't get bug fixes and probably won't be updated to work with the next version of Windows.

VLC works good, though.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
Definitely safe to use MPC-HC. It would take VLC many years of work to reach the quality of MPC-HC even if that receives no further development.
MPC-BE is probably the best alternative if you want something that is actively developed.

Reactions: coffeemonster

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
I still use MPC-HC as well. VLC still doesn't hold up to the quality that MPC-HC has held for a while in my opinion. I'd wished they'd developed for android, but they never did that i found.

As for bug fixes, i'm sure they're there and issues will pop up as hardware changes, but for now, it's fine. Plays every blu-ray disk i have as well.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
I still use MPC-HC also.

MPC-BE seems very similar and I will probably switch once the former becomes unusable.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I use ZoomPlayer (have to buy it though) with LAVFilters codecs and win7dsfiltertweaker to make sure that LAVFilters are preferred choice of decoder over windows built in stuff (which often artefacts on scene encodes).

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Trust the MPC-HC. Have peace in that. It is dependable and works well in video resolutions to all levels. One of the best freebees.
There is a better one though. Check out Elecard MPEG player and other players they release. It provides ultra smooth playback (no stuttering, jerks, hiccup, etc). When you play a 30fps video it feels like a 60fps. There is no motion blur it's authentic solid playback. I used to use that for 10 years... You gotta pay for the software though. Now I use MPC-HC because I don't have money to pay for the new software.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
I recently downloaded MPC-BE because i couldn't get MPC-HC to play any 4k Blu-ray disc that i recently bought. I read several people that seemed to have no issue and some recommended installing madAV but that didn't help. so tried MPC-BE and it worked fine. MPC-BE is fairly similar to MPC-HC. not sure it's a direct fork before or after HC stopped releasing. I didn't look up too much but remember BE being recommended as an alternative.

Anyone here use MPC-HC to play 4k Blu-ray discs? I haven't had issues playing regular blu-ray disks for a good while.