So maybe there is a reason why RAM prices have gone up

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
No, this was a long time ago.

You guys remember RDRam? Yea... that expensive memory that everyone hated. Well RDRam was superior to DDR, and the memory Cartel (samsung, micron, etc) knew it. However, they didn't want to pay Rambus any loyalties (which was around the 1-2% rate for desktop memory) and wanted to push DDR to the max. So in essence, they artificially inflated RDRam prices to rediculous levels and were barely breaking even or losing money selling DDR to drive Rambus from the market.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
A 1GB stick of Corsair Value Select went from $89 two months ago to about $ 117 now.
The 31% increase is outrageous, I won't be buying anymore until prices retreat to normal . .
I don't care how much jail time they give the theives, give 'em more if they need it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: supafly
Originally posted by: ElFenix

what, the fines?

SRAM isn't the stuff you get on sticks to put into your computer.

Earlier this year three executives at Samsung were sentenced to between seven and eight months in prison and fined $250,000 (£143,000) each after a probe into price fixing in the DRAM chip industry.
what they were fined and jailed for happened years ago. it's unrelated to the current increase in DRAM prices (which is probably due to ramped up orders from OEMs who are going to sell a ton of computers when vista finally ships).

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
A 1GB stick of Corsair Value Select went from $89 two months ago to about $ 117 now.
The 31% increase is outrageous, I won't be buying anymore until prices retreat to normal . .
I don't care how much jail time they give the theives, give 'em more if they need it.

My sentiments exactly! :thumbsup:

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
I paid around $80 for 1gb of Corsair DDR about 1.5 years ago, these new prices are ridiculous. Especialy 2gb of any kind of ram costing $200+!!!!!

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
I paid around $80 for 1gb of Corsair DDR about 1.5 years ago, these new prices are ridiculous. Especialy 2gb of any kind of ram costing $200+!!!!!

yeah....craziness. having bought my 2GB kit at 144.99, I'm really shocked at the prices these days.