So maybe the Gothic 3 expansion is worth $5?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
It's on Gogamer for $4.90.

I'm just too big of a fan of everything Gothic to not at least look at it.

Interestingly enough it says you don't need Gothic 3 to play it.

This won't destroy my current game of Gothic 3 if I install it, will it?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Via
This won't destroy my current game of Gothic 3 if I install it, will it?

It's standalone and won't affect your current G3 install.

I'd say get it only if you've beaten G3 and absolutely have to have more. Oh.. and only if you're willing to put up with many ridiculously annoying bugs in order to do so.

I got it and enjoyed it simply because it was more G3, but it's more like a half finished mod than anything else. So keep that in mind and don't say I didn't warn you.. ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
it should have been a free expansion in the first place - to gamers who suffered through a broken game and engine

they can't pay me to play Bugthic3 anymore:thumbsdown:

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: apoppin
it should have been a free expansion in the first place - to gamers who suffered through a broken game and engine
I agree.

they can't pay me to play Bugthic3 anymore:thumbsdown:

The original G3 is actually quite playable now with the 1.7 community patch.

Mide

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2008
I hated that game...buggy as all hell and the combat system was the worst.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Meh, for 5 dollars, might be worth it. At least with G3, the community picked up the pieces. Not sure if anything will happen with the expansion though.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Meh, for 5 dollars, might be worth it. At least with G3, the community picked up the pieces. Not sure if anything will happen with the expansion though.

Recommended

--10/10
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For Masochists [only]

:Q

- however, as a more fun alternative - for less than $5 you can pick up a nice club and also beat yourself senseless, instead of playing this irritating BugThicK-3 expansion
:D

The original G3 is actually quite playable now with the 1.7 community patch.
Compared to ver 1.0 which i suffered through; still it has issues and i'd say their broken engine has never been properly fixed. The community did a amazing job DESPITE the Devs and JoJo
rose.gif

i cannot support that awful Publisher with that broken game that they refuse to support
- just remember you are paying $5 + $3 shipping for crap
- toss your money into the trash now and just save yourself the frustration

JoJowoof first rushes out with a buggy as hell half-finished game they completely abandon - THEN they INSULT us with more half-assed trash in an even more broken expansion

:thumbsdown:

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Mide
I hated that game...buggy as all hell and the combat system was the worst.
I actually just reinstalled G3 after seeing all the recent Gothic related threads around here. I got pretty far into the game about a year or two ago, but I couldn't get past the fact that the combat just seemed like mindless "button mashing + stunlock = win" (or "get stunlocked yourself = die"). Never did finish the game the first time around.

Reading the PDF that came with the community patch, it sounds like they added an optional melee combat mod that tweaks it somehow.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
At least with G3, the community picked up the pieces. Not sure if anything will happen with the expansion though.
That won't be happening with Forsaken "Bugs". The community patch team has already made it clear they won't be touching it.

- toss your money into the trash now and just save yourself the frustration
lol I pretty much agree with you here. But there has already been some patches released that at least address most of the quest bugs. So if you absolutely want to more Gothic, now, and can't wait for arcadia or risen and are willing to deal with an unpolished turd, then i'd say it's worth the $5. It at least retains the Gothic feel (kinda), and has the same world layout, which is why I played through it.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Reading the PDF that came with the community patch, it sounds like they added an optional melee combat mod that tweaks it somehow.

Yes, the alternate balancing feature. It basically makes it impossible to just slay everything in your path, like was the case in the vanilla G3 version. There are quests you have to wait to do until you are strong enough in order to avoid getting your ass handed to you. It makes the game more realistic and thus more fun IMO, but some won't like the option, so you can always choose to play it using the normal balancing if you'd like.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Not off to a great start so far.

Started it up for the first time after installing community patch 1.71 (latest as far as I know), configured the graphics settings (maxed out), and started a new game. After watching the intro movie, framerates immediately tank to single digits. I restarted with all graphics settings set to minimum - same thing, abysmal framerates.

I ended up Googling and finding out that the problem was the Gothic3.ttf font file, and removing it fixes the issue. I'm not sure if that was an issue the first time I tried this game way back when. If it was, I've long since forgotten about it.

Originally posted by: mindcycle
At least with G3, the community picked up the pieces. Not sure if anything will happen with the expansion though.
That won't be happening with Forsaken "Bugs". The community patch team has already made it clear they won't be touching it.
Heh, I actually just came across the official memo in the JoWood forum, apologizing to the customers about what a sorry and buggy mess Forsaken Gods turned out to be.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Heh, I actually just came across the official memo in the JoWood forum, apologizing to the customers about what a sorry and buggy mess Forsaken Gods turned out to be.

Please post it .. i am depressed tonight and need something to lift my spirits

:Q

actually, i am feeling a little better
- i just realized i saved $8 :p

:D

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

I finally finished Forsaken Gods,the good points were hmm it was stable however had loads of bugs plus the game area felt so empty compared to the original G3,they have released a few game patches so might be worth it for $5,I got the game for free as a gift.

Anyway there were some things I liked in the game(can't say without spoilers) but they could of spent more time polishing the game and adding more content etc before final release.

I think latest patch is 1.08.9 from here (238.82mb).
- Gothic 3 Quest items removed
- Text problems fixed
- Voice over issues fixed
- Improved Combat / NPC Balancing
- Improved Item value balancing

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

Please post it .. i am depressed tonight and need something to lift my spirits
I think this is the English translation, since the devs are German.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Is this for the gothic universe at gogamer? Last time they had gothic 3 gold (or what ever they called it) on sale I looked up the game and saw that the universe package had just been released with about all the gothic stuff included so being a semi collector of games I was going to pick that up instead. So for me this going on sale is big thumbs.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Is Gothic 3 worth playing? Looks like another Oblivion to me...hows gameplay? World size? Exploring? NPC interactivity?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I think Gothic 3 is definitely worth playing after all of the work the community did to patch it up. I love the graphics; it's a very pretty game IMO. And it's an absolutely HUGE world to explore.

I haven't gotten to the end of the main quest yet, but I've played pretty extensively. It's an interesting take on choosing good or evil. The Orcs are presented as a civilized race with their own agenda instead of just being mindless killing machines. As with a lot of such games: You get out of it what you're willing to put into it. I liked it much more than Oblivion, which to me felt extremely "canned" and consolized.

I did end up ordering the expansion to see what it's like. I've always wanted to try Painkiller anyway. And I'm a sucker for problem-child RPGs: I included Dungeon Lords in my order. I a big enough fan of RPGs to give even that game a chance.

Who knows, I might actually end up being ok with it. I enjoyed Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor much more than I thought I would.