so many nice choices for tiny/lightweight dslr now!

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
You might check out the Sony RX100 as well. Smaller so you won't need as serious of a gimbal, and it takes great video. The main downside is so external mix input (I think).

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Technically all of those you mentioned are actually mirrorless cameras and not DSLRs. The biggest difference between them is that one uses a mirror and the other doesn't, hence the name "mirrorless". Whether one chooses one or the other depends on the user but they both have their pros and cons. However technology is definitely moving forward much more aggressively with mirrorless cameras.

If you're going to be using it on a gimbal I would suggest a Canon with Dualpixel AF if you want a DSLR. You'll get much better AF in live view but unfortunately there's no 4k in any models around $1k. If 4k is important to you then go mirrorless because there are much more options. The RX100 was mentioned above but just be forewarn that it can only do 5 min 4k at a time. The much larger RX10 can do 29 min 4k.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i prefer to stick with canon since i have a lot of lenses already. would dual AF prevent the camera from loosing focus then focus back again?
im using the canon t4i with the 22mm STM lense for running around. i noticed the camera would shift focus between subjects (not sure if thats the right term) for a split second. so i always do manual focus

doesnt seem canon have a lot of cam with dual AF, lookin at the rebel 7ti, 80d, and m6 now to see which is light weight

edit: ahhh looks like dual AF works great as seen in this video:
it doesnt fumble around like on my t4i

Last edited: