So many mods for Oblivion, which should I install?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So I just got my shiney new 640 gig drive, I am in the process of reinstalling and transferring things. I really don't like the way Morrowind or Oblivion are set up, the way enemies scale with you. It makes leveling up pointless. There are videos on Youtube of people finishing Morrowind at level 1. I'd love a mod that 'fixes' that for me. Also, what else should I install? I assume there are some decent quest mods, equipment mods, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, Quarls texture pack, Kvatch Rebuilt, Natural Environments, Open Cities (Eliminates the loading between outside and cities)

All I can think of for now.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
First of all, use Oblivion Mod Manager (Known as OBMM on the forums). It lets you use OMODs, which are your mods compressed into files that can be "activated" with the manager - it makes installing/uninstalling mods a breeze and uses less space (OMODs are very highly compressed when deactivated). My essential mods include:

Immersive Interface
Martigen's Monster Mod
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (there are several different "overhaul" mods - pick the right one for you)
AWS (makes weather effects better)
Unique Landscapes (a series of mods that alter the landscape to produce beautiful scenery)
Reneer's Guard Overhaul
Supreme Magicka (or another magic system altering mod; OB's original magic system is just too dry)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
So I just got my shiney new 640 gig drive, I am in the process of reinstalling and transferring things. I really don't like the way Morrowind or Oblivion are set up, the way enemies scale with you. It makes leveling up pointless. There are videos on Youtube of people finishing Morrowind at level 1. I'd love a mod that 'fixes' that for me. Also, what else should I install? I assume there are some decent quest mods, equipment mods, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Morrowind enemies don't level up with your character.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So with a few of these mods in place Oblivion becomes more interesting and playable? Because I got tired of it within hours and haven't picked it back up since...

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Ya this seems to come up at least once a month....

Its always the same answers too

BadKarma pretty much got you covered, though I havent heard of opencities.

Does that have a big performance hit associated with it? Or how do they manage no loading times?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just searched Oblivion. Everytime I try two words in the search doesn't seem to work. Sorry to bother you! :p
The search engine is a giant can of suck.
Sometimes you get gold, sometimes you get dog puke.

We need to lobby for more gold and less dog puke.

Oh, my personal recommendation is as follows.

Anything that lets you improve the menu screen. See more items at once.
Anything that improved the underwater view.
More & better houses, especially one with an alchemy sorter.

My favorite site:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/categories.php

Does anybody know of a mod for a super-nice, really expensive house to buy in the Imperial City?
Have found an assload of epic houses out in the countryside, but nothing big and pretty in the IC. I'd love to have a house like Umbacano's, or even better.

Once you buy the big place in Skingrad there just isnt anything to spend your money on.

The Private Mobile Base in Morrowind was freaking awesome.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Morrowind enemies don't level up with your character.

Yep. In Morrowind you can beat the game at level 1 if you know where to get the right items, though (potions, weapons/armor). No part of the game is off-limits at any time in Morrowind (No "you need a key" crap). In fact, some of the best items in the game are right outside Sedya Neen, the starting town. There's a cave with some super high level bad guys and some good stuff.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
You should really get Deadly Reflex 5.0. It totally modifies the combat in Oblivion to be far more interesting.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
there is a lot out there, so much in fact that i suggest you just go with only some of the most useful & popular mods which are easy enough to find via google and leave it at that.
do get a good GUI mod.

if you're considering FCOM, make sure you really understand what you need to do to install it.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Denithor
So with a few of these mods in place Oblivion becomes more interesting and playable? Because I got tired of it within hours and haven't picked it back up since...

Unless it overhalls the spoken dialog I'd say no. I don't care how much better these mods make the envoirment or how it improves the combat. Talking to 100 different characters and hearing 1 or 2 different voices kills the game for me. If the budget ran tight they could have at least hired a Dana Carvey type to do impersonations and at least sound like different people/

Apr 16, 2008
There area few mods out there with full voice acting put in. I forgot the name of it but they created an archeologist guild and you had to go investigate a spire. It's not top talent but it's different from the 3 voice actors they had originally.