So many choices in (OS) tablets now, what to choose?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by pcsavvy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

2. pcsavvy

pcsavvy Senior member

So much to think about. Looking into Windows Rt, it seems to have the student version of Microsoft Office loaded in already. I guess I want something light, portable, and fits in a small to medium bag. Something I can pull out on the commuter bus and be able to either play something or do homework easily without having to worry about the lid making a sudden impact on the back of a seat. Something I can just throw into a bag and not have to have a huge backpack to carry all the essentials all the time. Has the ability to be universal with apps like it has kindle or nook or vizmanga apps or amazon, etc. I am not looking to game but it would be nice to be able to watch a tv show or play a flash game while riding to my connecting bus stop.
    Maybe I should look at netbooks with AMD E2-1800 cpu instead or E-450?

3. pcsavvy

pcsavvy Senior member

Wow, even more choices now. Acer W700 or Dell XPS 12 or ???

Looking at the Dell XPS 12 Convertible Laptop/tablet with Windows 8 Pro and an I5 processor and 128 Gb SSD. That looks very promising but I am not sure about the convertible part.
    Gee would the XPS 12 even be considered a tablet or more like a laptop?
    Budget what Budget??:'(
    Boy oh Boy so many choices and yet so little actual reviews. Ugh, take the plunge or wait and hope for a mega sale.:confused:

4. s44

s44 Diamond Member

As always, waiting another generation will make all the options better.

Right now RT is a bit weak... but throw in quad A15 and you've considerably upped your horsepower while keeping passive cooling and all-day battery life.

Wintel 8 is fast, but you still have to deal with the battery/fan issues of an actual laptop on top of the extra weight. It's not quite tablet convenience yet. Maybe Haswell will get closer? I wouldn't expect it to close the form factor gap though.

Android will continue to expand its tablet app catalogue with the Nexus 10... and Microsoft is supposed to port Office to both Android and iOS, though right now the phone versions look to be just be a crappy viewer.

I would get the Asus lapdock version of either RT (Vivo) or Android (either TF300 -- cheap on BF -- or the Infinity) unless you *know* some of your tasks will require the full Wintel base.

5. pcsavvy

pcsavvy Senior member

Not to knock next generation talk but recently it seems as far as cpu power goes, it seems to be going at incremental steps faster rather than mind blowing revolution in speed. The graphics side seems to be showing step by step improvemnts nothing revolutionary at this point.
    It always seems like the advice is to wait till the next generation for better performance that will have a wow factor, the new generation is released and it's a tenth or so second faster, not so revolutionary for the average user, maybe for the hardcore gamer.

6. pcslookout

pcslookout Lifer

How long of battery life do these HP Envy X2 for $849, Dell XPS 10, Dell Latitude, and Lenovo Yoga have ?

7. pcsavvy

pcsavvy Senior member

Dell XPS 10 supposedly has 5 hours tablet alone but with the keyboard dock which has a battery too, adds another 5 hours.