So Lets Talk About the next Woke College to Fall.... Syracuse

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
Citation needed for where I called the students fascists.

What actions would those be? If you can’t handle people disagreeing with you, perhaps you shouldn’t frequent a political forum.

Yes, I have a bad habit of not telling people what they want to hear, which is especially triggering to some of the participants on this board.

When you prove me wrong, I’ll let you know. Hasn’t happened yet.

ROFLMFAO.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Criticizing speech you find dumb or offensive is in keeping with the highest traditions of free speech.

Being accepting of those who say things you find dumb or even offensive is in keeping with the *highest* traditions of free speech as well. And, I think, the one we forget the most. We will never heal the divide in this nation if we can’t just listen to one another calmly and really hear people out. Something I really admire in Professor Robert Reich.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Being accepting of those who say things you find dumb or even offensive is in keeping with the *highest* traditions of free speech as well. And, I think, the one we forget the most. We will never heal the divide in this nation if we can’t just listen to one another calmly and really hear people out. Something I really admire in Professor Robert Reich.
If everyone is acting in good faith I agree. Do you believe the OP and a couple of others in this thread are really acting in good faith?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
There is nothing wrong with acknowledging and protecting the rights of students to protest while questioning their demands and the wisdom of faculty buckling to them.

Obama is increasingly cautioning this tendency.

There are some interesting developments in how Google is now struggling to accommodate a generation of workers who are the products of these environments.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This entire thread is based on a story that is an outright fabrication.

I've already proved that. Why does it keep going???

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Bullshit. I have the freedom to NOT accept misinformation, lies, bigotry, misconceptions masquerading as "opinion" or any other level of nonsense.

That is MY freedom. To claim I must accept all speech is absurd. I cannot outlaw it, but I absolutely do NOT have at accept it, provide it a platform, associate with it or refrain from criticizing it.

anti-intellectualism-has-been-a-constant-thread-winding-its-way-through-12709088.png

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Bullshit. I have the freedom to NOT accept misinformation, lies, bigotry, misconceptions masquerading as "opinion" or any other level of nonsense.

That is MY freedom. To claim I must accept all speech is absurd. I cannot outlaw it, but I absolutely do NOT have at accept it, provide it a platform, associate with it or refrain from criticizing it.

View attachment 13696

Trouble with your reading glasses? I said accepting of those who say dumb thing, etc. Intellectualism without compassion is folly. I do not think humanity can bear your brand of righteousness sir, but thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
This is what the oppressors say as soon as the victims begin to fight back.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I’m talking about treating human beings as human beings - what, pray God, are you going on about?
This rising trend of the oppressors and their supporters to suddenly start to care about treating others with respect and trying to find common ground as soon as those they have been mistreating suddenly start defending themselves. So long as minorities and vulnerable populations are just quietly enduring, these people don't care about the aggressors showing respect to these people or treating them as human beings. It is only when these populations begin to fight for equality by calling out the loathsome behavior of the abusers for what it is that the abusers and their supporters suddenly begin to care about treating people like people.

So essentially, what I am saying, is until I actually see the abusive behavior towards vulnerable populations stop, I'm going to continue to use fighting, disrespectful language towards their oppressors, because so long as these people feel comfortable in their bigotry, they are not going to change. They are going to seek shelter by requesting respectful dialogue while they go on oppressing people.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
@mect Certianly that has been true historically and presently and it is certainly your prerogative to speak as you like. I’m referring more particularly to the left right divide than I am to bigotry. I seem to be good at being OT lately.

As far as bigotry goes, I’m at a loss. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the hatred in race relations so stubbornly remains. Europe, by in large, got over it. But, despite many attempts, we continue to fail at large. For every success there seems to be an equal and opposite return to failure, such as that stoked into flames by the present imposter in the Whitehouse. Martin Luther King was such a stand out for offering hope to blacks and whites, but like all prophets, we killed him.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
@mect Certianly that has been true historically and presently and it is certainly your prerogative to speak as you like. I’m referring more particularly to the left right divide than I am to bigotry. I seem to be good at being OT lately.

As far as bigotry goes, I’m at a loss. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why the hatred in race relations so stubbornly remains. Europe, by in large, got over it. But, despite many attempts, we continue to fail at large. For every success there seems to be an equal and opposite return to failure, such as that stoked into flames by the present imposter in the Whitehouse. Martin Luther King was such a stand out for offering hope to blacks and whites, but like all prophets, we killed him.

"we" didn't kill him. An avowed white supremacist did. You know, one of those you think we should be accepting of.

FB_IMG_1574835476369.jpg

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
"we" didn't kill him. An avowed white supremacist did. You know, one of those you think we sound be accepting of.

View attachment 13700
I don’t know what to do with you; you read what you want to read and skip the rest. At least mect's post represented a substantial enough response to my overly curt query. Pretty damn nice of him. Your cartoon makes your point just fine, but it doesn’t have anything to do with the point I was making.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I’m talking about treating human beings as human beings - what, pray God, are you going on about?
some aren't worth treating as human, especially neo-nazis and the like.

they treat others as sub-human so why not return the favor.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
some aren't worth treating as human, especially neo-nazis and the like.

they treat others as sub-human so why not return the favor.
The Nazi felt that way about he Jews - that is a path I wouldn’t want to follow. FWIW, I find the behavior of white supremacists reprehensible. But, as I pointed out already I was commenting on something different.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Was this sarcasm? is my meter broken? cause that is so most definitely not true

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This entire thread is based on a story that is an outright fabrication.

I've already proved that. Why does it keep going???

Their president is a Russian stooly and their political party is based on an outright fabrication...I don't think they know any other mode, tbh

• Love

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

While I agree that what you say is in the highest traditions of civil discourse I think that's different from freedom of expression.

I think our country as a whole would benefit from listening more as well, but we should never forget that sometimes it's not just okay but affirmatively correct to tell someone they are a disgusting piece of shit for their opinion.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Was this sarcasm? is my meter broken? cause that is so most definitely not true
Vis-a-vis blacks, at least I thought so. If that’s not correct, please do tell. I’d rather not be misinformed.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I think our country as a whole would benefit from listening more as well, but we should never forget that sometimes it's not just okay but affirmatively correct to tell someone they are a disgusting piece of shit for their opinion.
Hmm, I think that just pushes people ‘underground’., like we saw with allot of Trump voters. Honestly, I have no idea how to reach white supremacists. I wish I did. I think we just keep pressing the fact that the ideals they hold are reprehensible and a disgrace to people of good will everywhere (along with the use of counter protests). That said, I dated a girl who’s father was a Nazi - his beliefs, which he zealously shared with me, seemed beyond conversion.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Vis-a-vis blacks, at least I thought so. If that’s not correct, please do tell. I’d rather not be misinformed.

lotsa of antisemitism still alive in Europe, whole sections of soccer stadiums chanting racists shit at black players, there's never been any love lost for the gypsies either. Some governments put up a good front trying to combat it and others encourage it.

Last edited: