So Lets Talk About the next Woke College to Fall.... Syracuse

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
College students demanding segregation is an interesting step to take, especially when it is done outside the Republican party and is a movement among minorities themselves.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
College students demanding segregation is an interesting step to take, especially when it is done outside the Republican party and is a movement among minorities themselves.

It's in no sense a new step though. There's always been a separatist school of thought in both race and gender politics. It's been present forever in US racial politics. There's some logic to it, even if it seems to me to be deeply pessimistic. Black people in the US have sufficient numbers to make that a vaguely plausible strategy - far less so elsewhere. It has at times led to some strange alliances.

From what I've heard, Clarence Thomas is essentially of that mind. He went from being a leftist black nationalist to being a separatist conservative black nationalist, who wants a small state because he thinks the state is always going to be controlled by white people, while 'the market' gives more scope for black people to build a separate identity away from whites.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's not the first time I've run across it, though it's a little surprising to hear it promoted by collage kids.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Like I’ve said before someone who gets this many basic things wrong should really think twice before calling anyone else stupid.

Also the amount of ink spilled in fake concern about free speech on college campuses is so, so dumb. People like the OP spin themselves up into a frenzy about college students with no power while ignoring the very real threats to free speech from say, conservative state legislatures.
I've never once come across a story about college kids wanting free speech on campus. Perhaps those don't get reported as they're not nearly as entertaining as the story's about the junior fascists that want control over what can be said. The irony in these stories is what makes them entertaining.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I've never once come across a story about college kids wanting free speech on campus. Perhaps those don't get reported as they're not nearly as entertaining as the story's about the junior fascists that want control over what can be said. The irony in these stories is what makes them entertaining.

Yeh, the irony in the "You're the real fascists/ racists/ misogynists/ classists/ whatever" from conservatives def makes for entertainment value. Take heart, however. Fascists & racists still enjoy free speech in the White House. Stephen Miller is still there.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When I was in school, Brother Jed was probably to most inflammatory presence on campus and students would have defended his right to speak to the death. His shtick was pure gold.

BTW, telling people that their views are repulsive isn't censorship.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Could you post enrollment rates at other colleges of similar size, cost? Could you provide baseline population data for the areas these schools draw from? Without this data, we can't draw conclusions from your post. Is it, as you state, a result of school policies? Is it a result of demographics (the millennial population bulge past college age)? Other factors? I attended a Catholic high school that went through an enrollment bust that lasted about a decade. The school looked at the Catholic birthrate and accurately predicted and planned for the bust and the subsequent rebound.
This was along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Wouldn't an even more entertaining story be about how people with actual power are trying to control what can be said? For example Republican state legislatures have passed laws to divest from any business who refuses to do business with Israel due to its apartheid policies. That's right, state governments today is financially attacking businesses for their political speech.

If students on campus heckling people are 'junior fascists' I can only imagine you are apoplectic at Republicans for wielding the power of government to suppress speech they don't like.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Since by your own admission you are frequently uninformed I don't fined this surprising at all. You appear to be very susceptible to a certain kind of story.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Much like the irony of your post, where you're seeking to silence speech that you view as fascist.

And yes, this is just the media reporting on a small subset on college campuses and falsely presenting it as mainstream. That's all this BS has ever been. Riling up old folks and whack jobs with tales of a few campus radicals expressing radical speech and convincing those old folks and whack jobs that that radical speech must be silenced in order to protect free speech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Wouldn't an even more entertaining story be about how people with actual power are trying to control what can be said? For example Republican state legislatures have passed laws to divest from any business who refuses to do business with Israel due to its apartheid policies. That's right, state governments today is financially attacking businesses for their political speech.

If students on campus heckling people are 'junior fascists' I can only imagine you are apoplectic at Republicans for wielding the power of government to suppress speech they don't like.
You're off in two different directions here. First off, the story isn't about what states do, it's about college kids, lets stay on track. If you want to discuss states rights lets do that in a different thread.
That you don't see the irony of college students trying to control what can or can't be said while claiming to be progressive doesn't affect what I perceive. These kids don't want free speech, they want tightly controlled speech. They fear ideas that don't conform to their beliefs. It's ironic, in that they are exactly what they claim to stand against.
It's my opinion that everyone does this to some extent, but a lot of kids today have taken it to a new level.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Much like the irony of your post, where you're seeking to silence speech that you view as fascist.

And yes, this is just the media reporting on a small subset on college campuses and falsely presenting it as mainstream. That's all this BS has ever been. Riling up old folks and whack jobs with tales of a few campus radicals expressing radical speech and convincing those old folks and whack jobs that that radical speech must be silenced in order to protect free speech.
Where did I suggest they should silenced? Would you quote that please, I don't recall saying it.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You're off in two different directions here. First off, the story isn't about what states do, it's about college kids, lets stay on track. If you want to discuss states rights lets do that in a different thread.
That you don't see the irony of college students trying to control what can or can't be said while claiming to be progressive doesn't affect what I perceive. These kids don't want free speech, they want tightly controlled speech. They fear ideas that don't conform to their beliefs. It's ironic, in that they are exactly what they claim to stand against.
It's my opinion that everyone does this to some extent, but a lot of kids today have taken it to a new level.
The story doesn't look to have anything regarding speech in it actually, so I think you're going off on a tangent as well. OP's message was something about admissions being down at one college (which if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it was probably representative of all similar colleges, thanks economy), and something to do with the excuse being something about college kids being racist, which of course was completely misrepresenting the story. How did you shift this into a free speech thing, exactly?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, this is one direction, freedom of speech. State legislatures also claim to support free speech, but they really want tightly controlled speech. The difference is that state legislatures actually have power to do something about it yet when they do conservatives are silent. Instead they want to scream about how a bunch of powerless kids are heckling people.

In addition, freedom of speech does not mean freedom from heckling, freedom of speech means freedom from the government suppressing your speech. It is again ironic that conservatives are only worried about the one from powerless college kids. Why? Because you guys don't actually give a shit about freedom of speech, you care about freedom of conservative speech.

jmagg

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2001
Expulsion seems fair for students (profs et al) that commit hate crimes including racist graffiti, but the same race option seems racist and counterproductive in their mission itself, all the rest is largely derp spending. imo

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Where did I suggest they should silenced? Would you quote that please, I don't recall saying it.
What was your rationale for calling them "junior fascists that want control over what can be said" except to get them to stop speaking? Have they done anything else besides speak? What have these college kids actually done to exert control over your speech?

There's a tired back-and-forth that's been going on in American politics for a few years now where people accuse others of attempting to silence their free speech just because those others dared speak to disagree with them, or because they disagree with those others and want them to stop speaking. And it's you and the OP are doing, whether you realize or not.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
What was your rationale for calling them "junior fascists that want control over what can be said" except to get them to stop speaking? Have they done anything else besides speak? What have these college kids actually done to exert control over your speech?

There's a tired back-and-forth that's been going on in American politics for a few years now where people accuse others of attempting to silence their free speech just because those others dared speak to disagree with them, or because they disagree with those others and want them to stop speaking. And it's you and the OP are doing, whether you realize or not.
And by attacking the OP and @Greenman for criticizing these students and their misguided efforts, you are doing it as well, whether you realize it or not.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
And by attacking the OP and @Greenman for criticizing these students and their misguided efforts, you are doing it as well, whether you realize it or not.
Yeah, but I'm not trying to silence anyone's speech, nor am I mischaracterizing anyone's speech as fascist, etc in order to justify doing so. Which makes your accusation against me completely false. It is my free speech to criticize however I please.

jmagg

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2001
Young activism is natural, how the administrators handle it (or join it to be politically correct) is where the rubber meets the road.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
From what I've seen here, what is going on in Syracuse is nothing like what happened at Evergreen. Evergreen was a legitimate example of the left going too far and losing all sense of reason. In this case, it appears the students are protesting in a peaceful, non-threatening manner in response to some real issues taking place on their campus. They have a couple of requests that are bullshit, particularly the one on race segregation in housing, but that's merely a case of college students asking for stupid things. Hardly noteworthy. What is newsworthy here are the white supremacists threatening minorities on the campus community.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
From what I've seen here, what is going on in Syracuse is nothing like what happened at Evergreen. Evergreen was a legitimate example of the left going too far and losing all sense of reason. In this case, it appears the students are protesting in a peaceful, non-threatening manner in response to some real issues taking place on their campus. They have a couple of requests that are bullshit, particularly the one on race segregation in housing, but that's merely a case of college students asking for stupid things. Hardly noteworthy. What is newsworthy here are the white supremacists threatening minorities on the campus community.

Uhhhhh so how exactly is this different than Evergreen? Did you watch the videos? You acknowledge the demands are stupid (as were the Evergreen ones), so how is this any different?

And requesting a fact check on your last sentence - because it hasn't happened. There were some obscene racist graffiti... There were ABSOLUTELY NO DOCUMENTED
1. Threats of violence
2. White supremacists
3. No one even proven at fault here - could very well have been a hoax which has happened NUMEROUS times on campus. Poop swastika ring a bell broceritops?