So let me get this straight about the PS3....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Did any of you use the early PS2 as your primary DVD player? I tried and it sucked and DVD players had been around for a good amount of time before the PS2 showed up. I tried using my Xbox as a primary DVD player and it sucked. Why should I believe that this one will be any different? Couple this with the fact that I'm being forced to pay a premium to buy a format I do not want or support as the reason(s) I will not buy a PS3.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: aswedc
Originally posted by: funboy42
2. The cable end looks to be the same on it as it is for the PS2 and PSONE therefore you may be able to use the cables you have or already out that can be had cheap. Just hopefully it will still give you a 1080P output using them without being forced to use HDMI. Cant really see that hapening but who the hell knows, its Sony, but the output jack does say multi out ;)
This is confirmed. The PS2 component cables will work with the PS3. Available for $5 everywhere, and I'm sure most people already have them.

Whoooo oHooooo I got something right in a very long time :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So this thread is done. Go to your local gamestop and buy the ps2 componant cables for $5 if you dont have one and no more bitchin because it didnt come with it :p

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

Kelnoen

Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: Kelnoen
15% of market have hdtv's

cable costs $4?
after 5 million units have been sold, 4,250,000 (4 million) don't need cable
5 million cables = $20,000,000
$17,000,000 dollars wasted

no cables in box
2000 people boycott console due to no cable
2000 * $600 = $1,200,000 (1.2 mil)

they'd rather lose a few thousand customers than lose a few bucks per unit.

This is why people who know nothing about manufacturing shouldn't talk about product cost. Sony can manufacture those component cables for less than a dollar.

Not to mention the fact that Sony won't sell 5 million units immediately. It'll take them over a year to penetrate the market to that degree. By then HDTV ownership will increase.

Plus, where did you get that 15% of the worldwide market is 5 million people? Where did you get that only 2,000 people would boycott?

Why don't you quit pulling numbers outta your ass.

Xbox 360 came with the component cable set. They were smart.

With that argument, you're saying that selling this $600 with Blu-Ray is a complete and utter waste? They are selling a unit way overpriced for only 15% of the worldwide population? If they had packaged a $15 DVD drive, they would have been able to sell the unit for half of the price it's currently selling for.

So Sony is ultimately screwing the customer for their own needs. Nice.

WTF dude, did you read what i said?

15% has no connection to the 5 million figure.
15% of homes have HDTV's

5 million is say a years sales, not only sales to HDTV owners
I'm not saying the cost of an cable will be $4, these are indeed figures out of asses, they are all guestemates.

What I mean is they would rather save money per console than provide for the minority with HDTV's.
When did I say anything was a waste?

You seem like an angry person. :roll:

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

cable costs $4?

no cables in box

This is why people who know nothing about manufacturing shouldn't talk about product cost. Sony can manufacture those component cables for less than a dollar.

Not to mention the fact that Sony won't sell 5 million units immediately. It'll take them over a year to penetrate the market to that degree. By then HDTV ownership will increase.

Plus, where did you get that 15% of the worldwide market is 5 million people? Where did you get that only 2,000 people would boycott?

With that argument, you're saying that selling this $600 with Blu-Ray is a complete and utter waste? They are selling a unit way overpriced for only 15% of the worldwide population? If they had packaged a $15 DVD drive, they would have been able to sell the unit for half of the price it's currently selling for.

15% of homes have HDTV's

I'm not saying the cost of an cable will be $4, these are indeed figures out of asses, they are all guestemates.

What I mean is they would rather save money per console than provide for the minority with HDTV's.

That would be a good argument for not including the cable, but sony added the 300 dollar drive and now just looks stupid when it tries to save 4 dollars for the cable.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: blurredvision
I've read from a couple of different sources so far that the only cables included in both the $499 and $599 packages is regular yellow/red/white composite cables. Sony is releasing all this media BS, and we all know about the stupid-as-hell price comparison chart from a couple of weeks ago. They keep throwing this 1080p crap around, too. But they don't even include cables out of the damn box to enable anything above 480i??

Ridiculous.

Fixed. You're not getting anything other than standard NTSC/PAL interlaced out of composite.

- M4H

if you want to get technical pal isn't 480, its 576.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

cable costs $4?

no cables in box

15% of homes have HDTV's

That would be a good argument for not including the cable, but sony added the 300 dollar drive and now just looks stupid when it tries to save 4 dollars for the cable.

Sony has a large stake invested in BluRay. They don't give a ****** about current HDTV users or HDTV adoption when it comes to the PS3, because the large majority of buyers of the PS3 will have a regular old SDTV or are fine playing over composite.

By forcing BluRay onto people, it helps exponentially with market penetration and the ultimate success of the format. People are going to eventually convert to HDTV whether they like it or not. But it's a battle between BluRay and HD-DVD.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Unfortunately, Sony is setting themselves up for being two-time losers in format wars. First with Betamax, now with Blu-Ray. Once dual-format players come out next year, the battle will be on the software shelves, and HD-DVD will beat out Blu-Ray in price and quality.

Having a huge installed base of PS3s will have a minimal effect on Blu-Ray sales; the vast majority of PS3 owners won't own an HDTV and will not buy HD movies.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Unfortunately, Sony is setting themselves up for being two-time losers in format wars. First with Betamax, now with Blu-Ray. Once dual-format players come out next year, the battle will be on the software shelves, and HD-DVD will beat out Blu-Ray in price and quality.

Having a huge installed base of PS3s will have a minimal effect on Blu-Ray sales; the vast majority of PS3 owners won't own an HDTV and will not buy HD movies.

I think the HD movies thing can go either way. Depending on when a person may decide to upgrade (say 6 months as opposed to two years), they may factor that into their purchasing decision.

If a DVD is $19.99, and the BluRay version of it is $24.99 and I'm upgrading to HDTV within the year, I'm sure a lot of people would go ahead and plop down that extra $5.

As far as software goes, I really haven't done any reading on it. If you had some links around that you could post so I can help educate myself, I'd appreciate it very much.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
What kind or moron would not get the appropriate cables to connect the source to the display?

Don't blame sony. Blame morons that buy a 4K TV and don't have a freakin' clue.

I really can go on and on about friends, parents of friends, etc that show off their new TV and High Definition. Only to realize that what they've been oggling and "ooohh, ahhhh" is NOT high definition.

If I had a dime for every "home theater" comprised of a 4000 dollar HD display showing NON HD content as a "look at that picture fella! Yep, that's pretty sweet isn't it?" I would never have to work again.

It's to the point that I can't even watch somebody show off their home theater. I don't have the heart to tell them their 10-15 thousand bucks looks and sounds like crap and could easy be fixed with some recabling.

plus a HDMI cable is like what? a couple of quid?

if you can blow over £400 on a PS3 the extra £2-3 isnt gonna destroy you

if sony included the cables then it would only add to the price anyway. And to be fair its not sony's fault theres like a million HDTV's sold ages ago that wont do 1080p and dont have HDMI or what ever

if all the HDTV's had HDMI to start with, then maybe it would be easier for sony to jus bundle a HDMI cable