So let me get this straight about the PS3....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: James3shin

You act like that 10-15% will not grow. With the 360 being released and PS3 coming, along with more HD-buzz in the public, that number is growing at an alarming rate.

Are you illiterate or something? :confused:

I get tired of repeating the same things over and over and over again because people like you don't READ and THINK before you reply. Please do those two things before replying to me in the future, or just don't bother.

I've never said or implied that the 10-15% will not grow. In a post that YOU QUOTED I said "In the next 5 years HDTV ownership should increase greatly in the US."

I also said "Nevermind that most people won't actually be watching Blu-Ray movies on their PS3s initially," and "I said most people will not use it to watch Blu-Ray [movies]. At least not yet."

How did you get the impression that I was talking about any time other than now? :confused: It is important that I am talking about now and not later, because now is a critical time for Sony's Blu-Ray with regard to the movie industry. They're losing to HD-DVD, and they need to catch up. PS3 allows them to slingshot ahead in the "format war" even if those drives aren't being used to play movie, which most people believe is the real reason Sony put the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3. That was my original point, if you go back to what I said and don't take things out of context.

Personally I wish they made the Blu-Ray drive an add-on, because I'm not going to spend $600 on a video game system.

The post that I quoted from you had no mention of a 5 year time span. Also, you failed to read or comprehend my post, I stated that you are ACTING like that your numbers will stay constant. At least that was the impression that I got from your post. Furthermore, why would Sony give a choice to consumers where they could lose profits and market presence, by offering Blu-Ray as a add-on? If you can, make the choice for the consumer and stuff it down their throats.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
lol James3shin if I didn't know you, I would think you work for Sony or have your life savings in their stocks :D

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: blurredvision
I've read from a couple of different sources so far that the only cables included in both the $499 and $599 packages is regular yellow/red/white composite cables. Sony is releasing all this media BS, and we all know about the stupid-as-hell price comparison chart from a couple of weeks ago. They keep throwing this 1080p crap around, too. But they don't even include cables out of the damn box to enable anything above 480i (<-- fixed per M4H)??

Ridiculous.

yup... at least the 360 came with componant HD cable in the box.. freaking Sony sucks..

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The 360 comes with cables that split between composite and component. Would it have cost that much more for Sony to do something similar?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Do you folks understand business? When is business about pleasing customers? It's about making dollars. Have any of you actually taken a minute out and gone outside to see what the buzz is? Around my way, the PS3 is like sliced bread, and is sold out. There is no talk about any other console. The average consumer has no clue about the laptop batteries, no inkling about business practices, just what they see on TV or hear from other people. Right now, people hear and see the PS3 as the end-all console with "the best graphics," "most powerful" yada yada. Get over it, the PS3 will sell, go trick or treat now.

1)you know how you generate dollers? please the ****** customer

2) sold out? christ its nto even released yet! not to mention the initial release is really fricken tiny

3_ you would be suprised about what the avarage consumer knows.

of course it will sale. but it is not going to be the #1 console.

I'm sorry but you can generate dollars without pleasing customers. If you think otherwise, you're being horribly fooled. People are paying hand-over fist for garbage products (bose, sony laptops, ipods, windows, 360's, PS2's) these days that fail to please customers, you just need to satisfy the customer at best. Sometimes satisfaction is not needed, as long as you make the consumer believe it's a good product. Second, all PS3 preorders across the US from what I've heard and read are spoken for, actually as you may know, some of the PS3's will be sold twice ;) Third, you give the general population too much credit, you may live in a well-educated suburban location, that are filled with savy consumers, but somehow I highly doubt a location like that exists in the world. I say once, go out to your nearest video game store and just look around at the games, play a few demos if you have time and just listen to the rambling.

show me one business that is still around that is not pleaseing customers. notice i do not say kiss there ass but please them. please. show me one.

while you maybe think those products are garbage many do not. they are happy wiht the prodcut and are pleased.

of course there is rambling. its a good system. it will sale alot of units. but i do not beleive it will be #1

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

The post that I quoted from you had no mention of a 5 year time span.
oh really?
Well, the PS3 will last 5 years (Sony says it will last longer, but they will have to put a replacement out in 5 years when Nintendo and Microsoft are doing the same). In the next 5 years HDTV ownership should increase greatly in the US.

As for Blu-Ray - supposedly so games can be bigger, but that's a line of BS. The only thing they could possibly fill 25 GB with is oodles of high-res cutscenes. The game code, textures, models, sound effects, etc could all easily fit on a DVD-9. The few that *need* that many cutscenes could use multiple discs as has been done in the past.

But the real reason for including Blu-Ray is so they can say they have millions of blu-ray players installed vs far fewer HD-DVD players and use that to win the format war. Nevermind that most people won't actually be watching Blu-Ray movies on their PS3s initially, Sony's marketing department has no qualms about outright lying. ;)

Have you seen a Blu-Ray movie on 1080P? My god, it makes anything else I've seen look like SH!T. Go to your nearest high-end A/V store and take a peak, then come back and say people won't be using the PS3 for Blu-Ray. For $600 it's a steal. That's fact.

Also, you failed to read or comprehend my post, I stated that you are ACTING like that your numbers will stay constant.
well, he did say 'initially'
At least that was the impression that I got from your post.
obviously, you got the wrong impression, since it says, 'initially'
Furthermore, why would Sony give a choice to consumers where they could lose profits and market presence, by offering Blu-Ray as a add-on? If you can, make the choice for the consumer and stuff it down their throats.
i believe that was mugs point.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0
lol James3shin if I didn't know you, I would think you work for Sony or have your life savings in their stocks :D

hahah, sup drew.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Originally posted by: funboy42
2. The cable end looks to be the same on it as it is for the PS2 and PSONE therefore you may be able to use the cables you have or already out that can be had cheap. Just hopefully it will still give you a 1080P output using them without being forced to use HDMI. Cant really see that hapening but who the hell knows, its Sony, but the output jack does say multi out ;)
This is confirmed. The PS2 component cables will work with the PS3. Available for $5 everywhere, and I'm sure most people already have them.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix

The post that I quoted from you had no mention of a 5 year time span.
oh really?
Well, the PS3 will last 5 years (Sony says it will last longer, but they will have to put a replacement out in 5 years when Nintendo and Microsoft are doing the same). In the next 5 years HDTV ownership should increase greatly in the US.

As for Blu-Ray - supposedly so games can be bigger, but that's a line of BS. The only thing they could possibly fill 25 GB with is oodles of high-res cutscenes. The game code, textures, models, sound effects, etc could all easily fit on a DVD-9. The few that *need* that many cutscenes could use multiple discs as has been done in the past.

But the real reason for including Blu-Ray is so they can say they have millions of blu-ray players installed vs far fewer HD-DVD players and use that to win the format war. Nevermind that most people won't actually be watching Blu-Ray movies on their PS3s initially, Sony's marketing department has no qualms about outright lying. ;)

Have you seen a Blu-Ray movie on 1080P? My god, it makes anything else I've seen look like SH!T. Go to your nearest high-end A/V store and take a peak, then come back and say people won't be using the PS3 for Blu-Ray. For $600 it's a steal. That's fact.

Also, you failed to read or comprehend my post, I stated that you are ACTING like that your numbers will stay constant.
well, he did say 'initially'
At least that was the impression that I got from your post.
obviously, you got the wrong impression, since it says, 'initially'
Furthermore, why would Sony give a choice to consumers where they could lose profits and market presence, by offering Blu-Ray as a add-on? If you can, make the choice for the consumer and stuff it down their throats.
i believe that was mugs point.

I stand corrected on the 5 year post, thank you. As for the other points about time frame, those were my impressions and I must have taken them incorrectly. I mentioned the last point about stuffing things down peoples throats because Mugs stated that he wished Sony would offer the Blu-Ray seperately.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
In the end, it does not matter how many pleased customers you have, its about whether or not you are in the red or black.

You don't know business at all, saying this. Sure the ultimate goal of a business is to run in the black, but you do not get there without a lot of help from customer loyalty. Building a product everyone wants to buy is what makes you money.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: crownjules
In the end, it does not matter how many pleased customers you have, its about whether or not you are in the red or black.

You don't know business at all, saying this. Sure the ultimate goal of a business is to run in the black, but you do not get there without a lot of help from customer loyalty. Building a product everyone wants to buy is what makes you money.

You said it best, "Building a product everyone wants to buy is what makes you money" pleasing the customer is not necessary.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: crownjules

No sh!t. Microsoft's XBox gaming division has NEVER been profitable as of this point. Boy, MS doesn't know anything about pleasing customers!

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: aswedc
Originally posted by: funboy42
2. The cable end looks to be the same on it as it is for the PS2 and PSONE therefore you may be able to use the cables you have or already out that can be had cheap. Just hopefully it will still give you a 1080P output using them without being forced to use HDMI. Cant really see that hapening but who the hell knows, its Sony, but the output jack does say multi out ;)
This is confirmed. The PS2 component cables will work with the PS3. Available for $5 everywhere, and I'm sure most people already have them.

Yeah I have those components, bought them for $20 :D

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: GuideBot
It's called "marketing" and "upselling" and other forms of bilking money out of those who are willing to pay.

That's the way it's always been and that's the way it always will be. I don't see why you're surprised by this. Get a clue.

Exactly what I was going to post. hahaha

Sony is not stupid - they're just playing to the stupid consumers.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelnoen
15% of market have hdtv's

cable costs $4?
after 5 million units have been sold, 4,250,000 (4 million) don't need cable
5 million cables = $20,000,000
$17,000,000 dollars wasted

no cables in box
2000 people boycott console due to no cable
2000 * $600 = $1,200,000 (1.2 mil)

they'd rather lose a few thousand customers than lose a few bucks per unit.

This is why people who know nothing about manufacturing shouldn't talk about product cost. Sony can manufacture those component cables for less than a dollar.

Not to mention the fact that Sony won't sell 5 million units immediately. It'll take them over a year to penetrate the market to that degree. By then HDTV ownership will increase.

Plus, where did you get that 15% of the worldwide market is 5 million people? Where did you get that only 2,000 people would boycott?

Why don't you quit pulling numbers outta your ass.

Xbox 360 came with the component cable set. They were smart.

With that argument, you're saying that selling this $600 with Blu-Ray is a complete and utter waste? They are selling a unit way overpriced for only 15% of the worldwide population? If they had packaged a $15 DVD drive, they would have been able to sell the unit for half of the price it's currently selling for.

So Sony is ultimately screwing the customer for their own needs. Nice.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan
Why are people trying to pick out every little thing wrong with the PS3?

Because Sony has stubbed their toe at every turn?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Because it isn't little stuff. It is huge glaring major problems, lies, mistakes by the worst company ever known to mankind.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07

Because it isn't little stuff. It is huge glaring major problems, lies, mistakes by the worst company ever known to mankind.

list them :)

Flashram

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaido
+ Bluray
+ New graphics

- Bluetooth remote
- Composite cables
- Same old PS2 controllers
- High price
- Low availability

Not the same old PS2 controller, the PS3 controller has no rumble.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

Just off the top of my head...
1) Spring 2006 launch of PS3
2) Promising dual HDMI 1080p output
3) The Killzone pre-rendered video
4) 2 ethernet ports
5) 7 bluetooth controlelrs
6) Rumble was removed from the controller because of motion sensor
7) 2 million PS3s at launch
8) The PS3 is a super-computer

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Flashram
Originally posted by: Kaido
+ Bluray
+ New graphics

- Bluetooth remote
- Composite cables
- Same old PS2 controllers
- High price
- Low availability

Not the same old PS2 controller, the PS3 controller has no rumble.

i actually like the PS2 controller and do not give a crap about rumble.

though the wiiiiiii is neat. i am looking foreword to playing it. ehh the sport games should be fun heheh

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

Just off the top of my head...
1) Spring 2006 launch of PS3
2) Promising dual HDMI 1080p output
3) The Killzone pre-rendered video
4) 2 ethernet ports
5) 7 bluetooth controlelrs
6) Rumble was removed from the controller because of motion sensor
7) 2 million PS3s at launch
8) The PS3 is a super-computer

not to mention the rumor that you can only play the game on one system. granted they would be retarded to put that in even though they own the technology to do it.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Well, you can always drop $30-$100 on the Monster Cables

Monster today announced a line up of GameLink audio/video cables designed exclusively for the PS3. They have been created not only to enchance the PS3's audio and video performance, but to also "complement the sleek, clean profile of the console." The different sets of cables will be available through all major stores, and will retail from $30 to $100.

"The PlayStation 3 is a state-of-the-art entertainment platform," said Noel Lee, The Head Monster at Monster Cable. "But experiencing its exceptional audio and video capabilities means it's crucial to properly connect it with high-performance cables - something that's not found inside the box. The PS3's HD games and 1080p-capable Blu-ray Disc movies can be amazing, but not when you hook it up with inferior or general-use cables. That's why we crafted GameLink specifically for the PS3 -- so it could be enjoyed the way it was truly meant to be experienced."