So I've used the horrible Windows 8 for a month....

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I installed Windows 8 Pro to try it on my laptop since ASUS has all the necessary drivers for Windows 8....

1) Had to revert to registry hacking to disable Hibernation as the old command line in DOS doesn't work on Windows 8 (powercfg -h off)

Instead, I had to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power

In the right pane of the Power key, double click/tap on HibernateEnabled

To disable Hibernation, simply change the value to 0, to enable it, set it to 1

2) Had to do more registry editing to fully disable UAC because if you disable it regularly from the User Accounts page, you still get prompts everytime you want to rename or copy a file to c:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

3) I like my icon spacing to be a bit wider for me to see the full text rather than truncated text. In Windows 7 you can easily do it from the Appearance / Color settings, now that's gone

so I had to do this:

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.
3. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshots below steps 4A and 5A)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

4. To Change the Desktop Icon “Horizontal” Spacing

A) In the right pane of WindowMetrics, double click/tap on IconSpacing to modify it.
B) Type in a value between -480 to -2730, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: The default setting is -1125. The minimum amount of space is -480, and the maximum is-2730.

4) I installed ClassicShell, it's not the same as the Windows 7 Start Menu, so I bought StartIsBack which gives you an exact replica for the Windows 7 Start menu...very well on that part...

5) I use MPC-HC + SVP (Smooth Video Project) + ReClock to increase the volume (gain) in movies o sound louder on my laptop speakers. Well, re-clock doesn't work right on Windows 8 even when you force it to load with MPC-HC, the gain increase has no effect on the volume.

6) I install a brand new OS and have to get like 400 MB worth of updates and 3 diff. reboots.... right... :whiste:

7) I absolutely hate the fact that right clicking on a file takes a very long time until the context menu appears. I googled this problem and others say it might be one of the programs that installs a right click context menu entry that might be causing the issue. well it happens right from the start as soon as I am installing my drivers BEFORE any installation of other software so I know that's not the case! I love how my right click happens instantly in Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after using it for a month, and making it somehow function like a real OS.... I thought.....why did I go through all that trouble? for what? there is NO REASON to use Windows 8..all you might get is annoyances or software that doesn't work 100% well

With that said, I formatted and installed Windows 7 and man did it feel much better! I don't have to re-invent the wheel to get my OS functioning like I want...

So to all those Windows 8 heroes who constantly defend it and bash anyone who dislikes it! I tell you. it's not a simple matter as installing that crumbled ClassicShell! It takes much more to get it to work as a normal OS and all this with 0 benefits over Windows 7

Screw you Microsoft for releasing the worst OS in history!

Last edited by a moderator:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Why did you disable hibernation?

Coz I have an SSD

And no.. I am not worried about the wear and tear on the SSD due to writing the RAM contents to the SSD.

But in the past, when I had an HDD, hibernation not only offered me a full power off state while retaining whatever I have open at the moment, the start up was much faster from a hibernate than a cool boot.

With SSDs this is different. It takes me more time to shutdown/hibernate and the startup speed is about the same as the SSD boots in like 22 seconds anyway from a cold boot till the moment I first see the Windows desktop.

So no need for hibernation in my case and I'll save 16 GB of space (I have 16 GB RAM , hence, the hiberfile.sys is 16 GB as well)

Zxian

May 26, 2011
The issue is that you're trying to make Windows 8 exactly like Windows 7. I've also had Win8 on my netbook (Lenovo x120e) since January. I haven't had any need for Classic Shell or the like, and I haven't needed to disable Hibernation. Waking up from Hibernation is considerably faster than a cold boot.

I really don't understand your reasoning for disabling UAC. Why on earth do you want to copy files to the root directory? There's almost no good reason to do this on a regular basis.

Best way to tweak windows? Install it. Leave it alone.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
berryracer said:
2) Had to do more registry editing to fully disable UAC because if you disable it regularly from the User Accounts page, you still get prompts everytime you want to rename or copy a file to c:

You shouldn't be copying things to the root of the system volume anyway and when you do, dealing with 1 confirmation from UAC isn't a big deal. Disabling UAC will break more than it will fix in the long run, trust me.

The more and more you post, the more and more you look like TweakBoy.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
You shouldn't be copying things to the root of the system volume anyway and when you do, dealing with 1 confirmation from UAC isn't a big deal. Disabling UAC will break more than it will fix in the long run, trust me.

I'm not a TweakBoy man. I don't go doing crazy performance tweaks and such these are just tweaks for improving my experience.

Leave UAC on? Why? to get an extra click for everything I do that I'm going to answer YES anyway since I know what I'm doing and have a good antivirus? I think not....

I tend to rename a lot of the program folders names in the Start MEnu after installing the programs and each rename requires a UAC confirmation EVEN when UAC is disabled in Windows 8......it's very annoying....

Also, for installing LAV and madVR you need to manually copy their filders to C:\Program Files (x86) . even with UAC disabled you get a security prompt for each copy

I don't copy files to C: after all my programs are setup but heck until they are it is a big pain

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
ohhhhhhhh another important thing I forgot to mention...

I absolutely hate the fact that right clicking on a file takes a very long time until the context menu appears. I googled this problem and others say it might be one of the programs that installs a right click context menu entry that might be causing the issue. well it happens right from the start as soon as I am installing my drivers BEFORE any installation of other software so I know that's not the case! I love how my right click happens instantly in Windows 7.

Small things, but very annoying, and when you add them up, you get a very annoying Windows 8 experience

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Adding to your gripes, Server 2012 has some pretty radical design flaws too. The firewall in particular requires manual configuration of every single rule if the Network Location Awareness decides to miscategorize your nets, which it will at the random time of its own choosing. The handy Public, Private, & Domain profiles appear useful at first, but NLA will bork you eventually, making your Private Public and your Public into Domain with no practical way for admins to set them back to appropriate settings. It is one of the most stupid designs I think I have ever seen.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Adding to your gripes, Server 2012 has some pretty radical design flaws too. The firewall in particular requires manual configuration of every single rule if the Network Location Awareness decides to miscategorize your nets, which it will at the random time of its own choosing. The handy Public, Private, & Domain profiles appear useful at first, but NLA will bork you eventually, making your Private Public and your Public into Domain with no practical way for admins to set them back to appropriate settings. It is one of the most stupid designs I think I have ever seen.

oh darn! I haven't payed with the Firewall with my Windows Server 2012 yet (still studying my Network_ before I jump onto MCSE 2012) but that is BS man to configure every single rule! I think the person who came out with Windows 8 was on some heavy Whitehorse over dosage

Zxian

May 26, 2011
Leave UAC on? Why? to get an extra click for everything I do that I'm going to answer YES anyway since I know what I'm doing and have a good antivirus? I think not....
Then you're doing things that are not intended. Unless you login as root in a Linux environment, there are still tasks that require elevation using sudo. UAC is the same thing, but in graphical format. These folders are protected for a reason. If you're seeing them on a day-to-day basis, then you're doing something wrong.

I tend to rename a lot of the program folders names in the Start MEnu after installing the programs and each rename requires a UAC confirmation EVEN when UAC is disabled in Windows 8......it's very annoying....
Then stop installing the Start Menu links for "All Users". Install your software "just for me" or whatever the option is. You do not get a UAC prompt for renaming folders under your own user account.

Also, for installing LAV and madVR you need to manually copy their filders to C:\Program Files (x86) . even with UAC disabled you get a security prompt for each copy
You don't need to manually install LAV, and you can install madVR to a location that is not in the Program Files directory.

I don't copy files to C: after all my programs are setup but heck until they are it is a big pain
I still don't understand this. If you have installs to run, copy them somewhere other than C drive. Your Downloads folder is an ideal location for this. It also doesn't prompt you for UAC commands.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Then you're doing things that are not intended. Unless you login as root in a Linux environment, there are still tasks that require elevation using sudo. UAC is the same thing, but in graphical format. These folders are protected for a reason. If you're seeing them on a day-to-day basis, then you're doing something wrong.

Then stop installing the Start Menu links for "All Users". Install your software "just for me" or whatever the option is. You do not get a UAC prompt for renaming folders under your own user account.

You don't need to manually install LAV, and you can install madVR to a location that is not in the Program Files directory.

I still don't understand this. If you have installs to run, copy them somewhere other than C drive. Your Downloads folder is an ideal location for this. It also doesn't prompt you for UAC commands.

madVR and LAV are programs and for me I see no sense in installing them anywhere other than C:\Program Files.

sorry

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I'm not a TweakBoy man. I don't go doing crazy performance tweaks and such these are just tweaks for improving my experience.

One great example of breakage that I ran into recently caused by UAC being off is the audio settings in Lync 2013. With UAC disabled the client says you have no mics or headphones installed and there's no workaround other than enabling UAC again. I'm sure that once more software begins using UAC properly that will become a more common occurrence so you should be getting used to dealing with UAC and not blindly disabling it because it's inconvenient for you.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
madVR and LAV are programs and for me I see no sense in installing them anywhere other than C:\Program Files.

sorry

I just created an Apps directory under my profile and added that to my Favorites in explorer for little 1 things that don't require full installs. It doesn't make any sense to me to manually mess with a directory that's supposed to be managed by the system.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
One great example of breakage that I ran into recently caused by UAC being off is the audio settings in Lync 2013. With UAC disabled the client says you have no mics or headphones installed and there's no workaround other than enabling UAC again. I'm sure that once more software begins using UAC properly that will become a more common occurrence so you should be getting used to dealing with UAC and not blindly disabling it because it's inconvenient for you.

alright man, you won the UAC discussion. I will be enabling UAC from now on :)

thanks for the logical explanation

cheers

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
alright man, you won the UAC discussion. I will be enabling UAC from now on :)

thanks for the logical explanation

cheers

Since Win7, I never understood the hate for UAC. Vista's implementation was way too chatty, but since Win7 it really only pops up whenever you're installing/removing an app or touching system files that should require a double-take.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Since Win7, I never understood the hate for UAC. Vista's implementation was way too chatty, but since Win7 it really only pops up whenever you're installing/removing an app or touching system files that should require a double-take.

Im giving Win 8 Pro a last chance...

so far, I haven't installed StartIsBack and the slow right click problem is gone

I am trying to adapt to the metro crap

I uninstalled all the built in Meto BS apps like weather and news, etc, it looks much cleaner now not cluttered with useless apps

PS: UAC is on and it's not annoying like before, you're right man

I guess Win 8 is best when u leave it the f00k alone and dont mess with its core

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Im giving Win 8 Pro a last chance...

so far, I haven't installed StartIsBack and the slow right click problem is gone

I am trying to adapt to the metro crap

I uninstalled all the built in Meto BS apps like weather and news, etc, it looks much cleaner now not cluttered with useless apps

PS: UAC is on and it's not annoying like before, you're right man

I guess Win 8 is best when u leave it the f00k alone and dont mess with its core

I'm still on the fence about installing a start menu app just because the start screen search is so terrible and because I've become so accustomed to hitting the Win key and right-clicking on things like Computer, Network, etc there. The Win+X menu covers most of that but not all. But when I did play with StartMenu8 I didn't have any problems.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm still on the fence about installing a start menu app just because the start screen search is so terrible and because I've become so accustomed to hitting the Win key and right-clicking on things like Computer, Network, etc there. The Win+X menu covers most of that but not all. But when I did play with StartMenu8 I didn't have any problems.

1) Disable Indexing

2) Download Everything 1.2.1.371

3) Place a shortcut to everything on your desktop

Now you will be able to search any file you want within seconds

4) Place the Control Panel on your desktop

5) Create a shortcut on your desktop for: Documents, Pics, Music, Videos, and Downloads

That's how I was able to do without the start menu and not have to deal with any of the Start Menu apps and their quirks

I have a license for both Start 8 and StartIsBack

Start 8 used to give me random explorer.exe crashes sometimes especially when I right click a file or perhaps click the start menu button a bit too fast so it clicks twice

StartIsBack makes the right click work in slow motion

just my 2 cents

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
1) Disable Indexing

5) Create a shortcut on your desktop for: Documents, Pics, Music, Videos, and Downloads

That's how I was able to do without the start menu and not have to deal with any of the Start Menu apps and their quirks

Start 8 used to give me random explorer.exe crashes sometimes especially when I right click a file or perhaps click the start menu button a bit too fast so it clicks twice

just my 2 cents

The search is a charm highlight away. But if you want something to create a nice icon shortcut for you to double click on after revealing your desktop of active windows, thats fine too.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I find Everything faster than the Windows search but I rarely search for stuff anyway

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
8's search for me SUCKS. I want to find files and folders on a single drive often, and 8's Search makes this impossible. "Show me all the ST4*.* files on I:" is no longer available.

Pikaboo

Mar 25, 2013
1) Disable Indexing

just my 2 cents
Really helped. I have the same problem too :)

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010

And why the hell not? I've been doing this for 30 years. To this day data I keep local is stored in directories off the root of c.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
And why the hell not? I've been doing this for 30 years. To this day data I keep local is stored in directories off the root of c.

And that would still work fine with no UAC prompts if you create that directory and fix the permissons on it. I literally meant copying new files to the root of the system volume regularly.