So, is this a Tech Site, or what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It's not just that you "build to save $300". Honestly, I think it's because pre-built gaming PCs are actually getting better at being, honest-to-gosh actual GAMING PCs. Not like the Dells of yore, that would have included a GT710 and called it a "gaming PC", simply because it contained a dGPU.

Semi-boutique but mainstream (carried by Newegg, Amazon, and Walmart) brands of Gaming PCs, like iBuyPower and CyberPower Systems, to name two of the more recognizable ones, build PCs that may not be of exceptional quality, but generally, are at least acceptable, and most of all, are ACTUALLY BALANCED. Even current/modern Dell and Lenovo "Gaming PCs", are a lot more balanced, and therefore, usable out-of-the-box, than they used to be.

So, once major OEM vendors started "Getting it right" as far as building gaming PCs, for a lot of mainstream gaming PC buyers, that just want a gaming PC that is both capable and dependable, and performs adequately at the games that they play, that those major OEMs and boutique-but-mainstream builders are satisfying that demand.

It's really only us "true enthusiasts", that like to even specify down to our case fans and CPU coolers and thermal paste, what we want in our PCs, that continue to custom-build them. We the enthusiasts that care about what brand of mobo, chipset, what brand and features of video card, what RAM timings, etc.

The fact that us "older enthusiasts" (some of us, not me) have "settled down", and just want a PC to USE, and not constantly TWEAK, or "fiddle with", is a factor too, certainly. And there's something to be said about having a complete PC warranty, for the whole configuration too, as bad as OEM tech-support can be.

I think that you might be giving Dell too much credit. They always seem to purposefully cripple their base model "gaming" PC's (by only giving them 8 GB of RAM or 1 TB chunk of spinning rust instead of a proper SSD), and then try to sell you the "upgrade" for 3X the retail price.

I mean, come on... a 500 GB SSD is around $50 now. Not including that in a PC that costs more than $800 nowadays is criminal.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
All of this.

I will still never buy a pre built system because i enjoy the complete customization and the process of setting up a self assembled system, it's just as much hobby as anything else. The "savings gap" from "building your own" got much much narrower many years ago now to the point of not being practical if that's you're only goal.

Add to that wife, kid, job, etc. with dramatically less (no) time for gaming and my most recently built gaming rig (2013....) still works more than adequately for what I do these days.
And that's the reason I sill like to build, although it's much less common then way back. The issue with buying a Dell is the same as it always has been, the Mobo's/memory/PS form factor and general layout do not conform to the AT/ATX standard so if you want to install a better PS chances are it won't fit, ditto for many expansion cards.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Yep, someone as a kid that started with a Vic-20 and worked up the ranks of different computers with glee. After a few decades as a kid and companies stealing/leaking my information made me into "a don't give crap person about it anymore."

Nov 20, 2009
I post tech questions, I get squat. Seems everybody's on the gab threads.
Since you limit what people can see in your profile, such as your other postings, you do yourself a disservice first and then complain about others not helping you. See that cliff over there? Use it!

Nov 17, 2019
Go to where the android number version# is listed in settings. The exact place may vary due to rom customization. Tap it more than once. Might be three times, but just tap it til something happens. Usually that'll give you a static graphic of the android version. On mine, it's an oreo cookie. Tap that. or swipe around on the screen(not sure exactly what triggers it) til something happens, and you'll get a small game or animated demo. For oreo, it's a physics octopus you can drag around the screen.
OK, in Settings, I tap 3 times where it says 9.1 and I get a stylized P in the center with different color rings around it. Colors are different each time I try but moving around or tapping that gets nothing else to happen.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Maybe it doesn't do anything else. Sounds like android 9, or Pie...

That's no guarantee it hasn't been messed with. I believe it's just an apk that provides the easter egg, and someone packing a rom could probably put any of the ones available in place of the correct one, but that's a lot of trouble for little(no?) benefit. I think it's pretty good evidence you're on 9 assuming the version number also matches.

Nov 17, 2019
It's a cheapo phone called a P30 that claims 9.1 and 6Gb/128Gb. Not that P30, but apparently a no brand or maybe a HomTom. But to me, it doesn't act right, the icons don't look right, the screen functions don't seem right, and so on and so on. I know a lot of that could be in the company GUI programming, but it also seems very slow overall.

And this line of replies should probably be in the thread linked above.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You're on Pie. My ROG Phone II is also on Pie, and I get the same easter egg. I'm holding out against Android 10.