So, instead of CA breaking off and floating off to Narnia, the Central Valley will just be a lake.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I hate to say it, buy why to folks even live there. It's always one of four things killing folks there - EQs (obviously), fires (even the fruit flies remember those), floods + mud slides. OK, maybe just 3.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
To be fair most people living in CA only really face one of those threats. Fires are generally limited to the mountains, deadly earthquakes to the bay area and parts of SoCal, flooding to the valley, and mud slides to a specific portion of SoCal. Not a hard rule, of course, but generally accurate.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We lived there because of work. I went to the Central Valley (Stockton, armpit of CA) for a 6 week construction job, stayed 25 years. I had never seen so much work ever...it was a veritable supermarket of jobs in the 80s and 90s for me. I could quit a job at noon...have another one lined up before I got home.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I love it here in the central valley. Cost of living is cheap compared to the rest of the state. Fires do impact us in terms of air quality but we don't really have to worry about it. We're having some minor issues with flooding in the Fresno/Merced region but nothing like Sac or the Bay. Being in the central valley is affordable while still being 2 hrs from Yosemite, the Bay, Monterey and only 4 hours from SoCal.

Reactions: feralkid

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
For various reasons, natural disasters being one, CA is about the bottom of the first world states I'd be interested in moving to.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I would consider moving to L.A because MUSIC and because it is of higher class than elsewhere. And supposedly the weather.

Reactions: IronWing

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
For various reasons, natural disasters being one, CA is about the bottom of the first world states I'd be interested in moving to.
I've got a few thousand knives targeted at the local MD gubments, especially certain municipalities in PG and Montgomery County.
The only good thing is that places aren't riddled with toxins in the MD suburbs.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Maryland's alright. It's probably somewhere in the middle of the first world states. Not my first choice by far, but I've been here so long, I'm used to it.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Maryland's alright. It's probably somewhere in the middle of the first world states. Not my first choice by far, but I've been here so long, I'm used to it.
Ok is probably the way to describe it.

Just that my mother was led to the state because of a not-good dad.

Then through various forms, the legal process has shown itself to be exploitative against those who cannot defend against due process violations and all sorts of prima facie abuse. Not that it doesn't exist elsewhere but it just so happens to be the state it occurred.

Eventually, my mother needs to make a plan to establish residence out of state, and I'm considering find a way to drain her estate to zero and probate it in whatever other new state it is. And Shady Grove Hospital is a expedited ticket to death, so much so, it's called Shady Grave.

Event 1: Mother's Divorce, Father letting house foreclosure, lack of eviction notice on foreclosed property, and a utterly useless defense attorney.
Event 2: County government decides to conspire up "good cause" to take grandma's custody away from mother. Two, former deputy States' Attorney, now States' Attorney John McCarthy sensing an immigrant with no money, lack of English, etc, tries to prosecute mom for elder abuse, trying to push for a plea bargain. Mom went for the home run jury trial, and luckily, the peers thought otherwise. Of course at the time, she didn't know there were the likes of Ben Crump around for clear civil rights violations. Eventually, the county did give custody back after that failed prosecution. The lawyer she got only went as far as to help get custody back, but counter tort for damages or the like for the county's abuses were ever initiated; Chinese lawyers might as well be some of the most exploitative and useless pieces of representation for Chinese-speaking laypeople. While under the guardianship of the state, mother took out grandma once to see a doctor and the blood test noted elevated levels of something for cancer. State decides to shut down any further trips out of the nursing home and had the police be there to "enforce" and inform that such an order was handed down.
It's a racket in govenrment, the County attorney is the real enforcer of the law, and his cronies include cops, social workers, and the courts.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wouldn't move to CA because of its unnatural disasters. Politics, laws, high cost of living, and culture. Really anything to do with the people that live there. Earthquakes and other natural disasters are fine.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I wouldn't move to CA because of its unnatural disasters. Politics, laws, high cost of living, and culture. Really anything to do with the people that live there. Earthquakes and other natural disasters are fine.
But Torn Mind is correct about the music. Most of our leisure trips to California center on concerts. 39 million people pull in the acts. I wouldn't move there because once you're there, you can't get anywhere from there, there being where ever you are. For being the inventors of car culture, they screwed it up good.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I am assuming the cost is the #1 reason.

If COL wasn't an issue, I'd move to San Diego in a heart beat. The problem is the COL is like double what it is here, and the jobs pay significant less of what they pay here (for software engineering at least).

So yeah, that ain't happening.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
COL is a big one. Climate is another. I don't want to live anywhere palm trees are successful. I also don't like their schizophrenic politics, and their abortion of a referendum system. I'm not interested in having unelected morons decide how my life progresses. Politicians aren't much better, but something can be done about them. Prop65 is good argument for bringing back a monarchy.

• Haha
Reactions: Sukhoi

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But Torn Mind is correct about the music. Most of our leisure trips to California center on concerts. 39 million people pull in the acts. I wouldn't move there because once you're there, you can't get anywhere from there, there being where ever you are. For being the inventors of car culture, they screwed it up good.
True. My favorite band, Tool, originated in LA. The members themselves did not.

What's ironic is that one of their songs is critical of LA and the people living in it. Fits the title of this thread.

See you down in Arizona bay.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Well the flooding has begun in earnest in my neck of the woods. Water was hitting around 3-4' last night and this morning. The county issued evac. orders for an entire community about 10 miles east due to a reservoir over spilling, and just received word another one would be spilling over in a few hours, endangering another community to the south a few miles. My town is safe and we seem to be doing ok for now, but we're expected to get another 1-2" tonight.

Reactions: lxskllr

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've had a lake next to my house for I don't know how long now, the major storms keep coming. It won't stop until Friday, Jan. 19 according to my weather app. I've been pumping the water to the sidewalk, but I have to monitor it or lose another pump. It's kept me up some nights, but tonight is OK, the rain shouldn't start in earnest until 5:00AM.