So, incoming college freshman: what book(s) do you have to read over the summer?

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
I just picked up my summer reading book last night, and I need some other people to commiserate with. I've been saddled with the task of reading The Heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity. This is shaping up to be the second worst summer reading book ever, way ahead of Middlemarch, but that's not saying much. In my entire class of 20+ students, 2 made it to the end. At least then I had Dune and East of Eden to read as well, so I could skip Middlemarch and still look like I did something over the summer. Being the lone book assigned this summer, I'm going to have to read it, and then discuss it in small groups. What a drag. So, make me feel better. What crappy books are you being forced to read?

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
Cornell's (I am a junior transfer) summer reading is Antigone by Sophocles.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001

You're not making me feel better. That's an hour or two read, tops.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Incoming freshman had to read? Oh crap.. I must have missed that notice somewhere last summer.. :p

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I had to read some stupid book about a black kid that wanted to go to MIT but ended up at Brown.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Imported
Incoming freshman had to read? Oh crap.. I must have missed that notice somewhere last summer.. :p

Bastard ;).

Incoming college freshMEN...not MAN. Maybe if you read a little more, you'll pick up on subtle grammar nuances! :)

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Incoming college freshMEN...not MAN. Maybe if you read a little more, you'll pick up on subtle grammar nuances! :)

It was a personal invitation to each incoming freshman, and not knowing their names, I could only refer to them as a freshman. ;)

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
Haha...yes it is. I have just gotten through the introduction/background info (50 out of 120 pages) and will start the actual play tomorrow. Hopefully I wont fall asleep like I did today. *finger's crossed*

Originally posted by: Dudd

You're not making me feel better. That's an hour or two read, tops.

Sephy

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 1999
People need to do summer reading? LOL, glad I left that behind in high school.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: jaybert

I read that in High School.

I don't think I had to read anything for college...

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
4summers ago i had to read this book called: Life on the Color Line

I attend a Private Catholic University.

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
Savage Inequalities by Kovol.

300 pages of "listen to how poor these poor people are. Be sad and feel guilty for what you have."

Not trying to be insensitive, but I'm missing the point of spending years to write a book to incite undirected sympathy from its readers. Hopefully a true point will come up as I continue reading. Now it's just endless examples.

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
i was given the opportunity to pick 2 from a long list. i picked The Hours by Micael Cunningham and The Master of Go by Yasunari Kawabata. Kawabata was a very good read - he won a Nobel for it. The Hours was, well, the book equivalent of a chick flick. not really my cup of tea....

<edit> i suppose i should tell where i was headed to: the University of Texas. this was last summer, no idea what the assignments are this year. </edit>

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
im attending villanova university next fall for undeclared liberal arts - no reading for me :D

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
for ohio state, some majors had to read eniac...sort of trials and all that stuff that lead up to first computer and the stories behind it...finished it in like 2hrs.

other majors had to read nickel and dimed...finished that in a couple of days along with fast food nation.

*making up for lost time, not having anytime to pleasure read in hs*

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Is required reading for college students common? I never did it.

We had 12 books for required summer reading for senior year of high school... it was bad.

kmac1914

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Imported

Me too...i haven't had to do summer reading in the two years i've been in college, and that's across two different schools.