So I'm swapping carriers and I pay for my parents...

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Shyatic, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Shyatic

Shyatic Platinum Member

I have four lines on my mobile phone plan, and with TMO I am paying about $195 for everything. My parents have "dumb" phones and I think they like that... my wife and I have smartphones. I'm switching to AT&T because I get a 20% discount, and I also want the Lumia 920 for the camera/build quality for both my wife and myself.

Question is... what do I do with my parents? I don't want to add them into my plan because of the contract, but then MVNOs don't seem to be that cheap either.

Any suggestions folks?

Thanks!

2. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Straight Talk? It'd be $30 a month for each of them if I understand their plans correctly, and it uses AT&T's network.

3. Shyatic

Shyatic Platinum Member

My issue with prepaid is that the minutes expire, and I have to keep buying them indefinitely.

4. Strk

Strk Lifer

There are prepaid plans. A set amount for a set amount of minutes etc.

5. Chocu1a

Chocu1a Golden Member

As with almost any carrier, prepaid or contract, any unused minutes expire at the beginning of a new billing cycle, so I am not sure what you are referring to.
    Just set up the billing to a credit card & it will automatically renew each month.
    Straight Talk, Virgin, Boost, & I believe t-mobile all have that option.

6. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Why do you have to put them on a contract? Just get cheap GSM dumb phones and add them. If you don't get a subsidized phone you don't have to put their lines under contract. It'd be $10/month per line for them with AT&T's family plans.

7. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

It'll be cheaper to add them to the AT&T plan. It's $10 a month for each additional line so you're looking at $20 a month for your parents plus tax and junk fees.

8. Shyatic

Shyatic Platinum Member

That is sage advice... I just need to find some good and cheap dumbphones now. Any suggestions?

9. Chocu1a

Chocu1a Golden Member

buy any straight talk phone. they use at&t. walmart

10. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Why not just use their current phones? They can likely be flashed to support AT&T services.

11. kia75

kia75 Senior member

Have you tried net10? At least 2 years ago net10's minutes didn't expire. You had to buy $20 worth of minutes every month for the phone to work, but the minutes themselves never expired.

12. golem

golem Senior member

How many minutes do they use. If it's very little, put them on tmobile pay as you go plan. $100 for 1000 minutes that last a year. Renew for as little as $10 a year and the left over minutes roll over for another year.

13. Infrnl

Infrnl Golden Member

Straight talk is basically $50/mo ea after taxes. Tmobile would be cheaper. Maybe check into adding them to att as suggested by others