So, I'm riding my bike (bicycle) to work this morning...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
So, if I'm driving in the left hand lane on a two lane road, I can cut the person in the right lane whenever I want legally? No, it's right of way. As the OP mentioned, the other vehicle was not in the bike lane yet but parallel with him, giving the OP right of way.

Out of curiosity then, if I make a right-hand-on-red when there's a bike lane next to me... is that illegal since I'm actually in the left lane? :p

Oops. Misread. No, but if I bike is right next to you in the lane. You can't drive into him but need to drive around him. And if the bike got to red light before you and is also taking a right, he has the right of way.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: preslove
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
I had someone do this to me when I was going ~15 mph, but I braked in time. I yelled "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE" at the top of my lungs.

You did nothing wrong. Hell, too bad you didn't have a key in your hand...

I fucking hate people like you.

There's nothing worse than a dipshit biker sitting right next to you when you need to make a right turn. If I'm flush up against the curb, go around me to my left, especially if there is no bike lane on the far right of the street, because then you definately have no reason to be there.

I was in the fucking bike lane, asshole I had every right to be there. Look over your right shoulder & yield to bikers in the bike lane, you lard ass.. When you are going that fast on a bike you don't have time to make it around the car & in Jules' case stop.

So.. he's a lard ass because he drives a vehicle?

I spose I'm a lard ass too because I dont want to ride my bike 39.8 miles to work and another 39.8 miles back each day.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I had someone do this to me when I was going ~15 mph, but I braked in time. I yelled "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE" at the top of my lungs.

There's nothing worse than a dipshit biker sitting right next to you when you need to make a right turn. If I'm flush up against the curb, go around me to my left, especially if there is no bike lane on the far right of the street, because then you definately have no reason to be there.

I was in the fucking bike lane, asshole I had every right to be there. Yield to bikers you lard ass. Look over your right shoulder. When you are going that fast on a bike you don't have time to make it around the car & in Jules' case stop.

No, I won't yield to bikers. There is no law that I have to.

In the OP's situation you would have had to.

no, he was ahead of the biker and turning. In this case, he overtook the biker and then turned. The biker should have slowed down and not hit the SUV. Its the same as if someone cuts you off and then puts on their brakes. 99% of the time the person who hits the other will get the ticket for following too close.

The whole situation sucks though

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: slag

I was in the fucking bike lane, asshole I had every right to be there. Yield to bikers you lard ass. Look over your right shoulder. When you are going that fast on a bike you don't have time to make it around the car & in Jules' case stop.

No, I won't yield to bikers. There is no law that I have to.

In the OP's situation you would have had to.

no, he was ahead of the biker and turning. In this case, he overtook the biker and then turned. The biker should have slowed down and not hit the SUV. Its the same as if someone cuts you off and then puts on their brakes. 99% of the time the person who hits the other will get the ticket for following too close.

The whole situation sucks though

Let me spell it out for you...as I have in numerous other posts. :roll: The guy passed me and immediately started to set up to turn in front of me.

Think of it like this, you're driving along in your car in the right lane and someone passes you on the left and as soon as they clear your front fender they start to cross over into your lane to make a right turn.

Clear enough for you? :|

BTW-The only hitting that occurred was me hitting the side of the vehicle with my open hand. The driver noticed me at that point and pretty much did nothing other than to continue to slow but he did not turn into me which is precisely what I was trying to prevent. I did not go down, I didn't even really slow and nobody was inconvenienced at all. It was just a situation I encountered this morning on my commute that could have gone bad quickly.

Think of my slapping his car as an open palmed horn if you will. :p

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I think a good driver should be able to see the imminent collision and have slowed to allow you to go through the intersection first without any extreme braking their part.

Nevertheless, I think you need a horn. If the vehicle had been further away from the bike lane and had been more than an arms length from you we might have lost another foreign car fanboi.

Who would I have to make fun of?

OsoVerde

Dec 14, 2006
People in SUVs often try to run me over too... and I'm riding around in a subcompact. I would like to ride my bicycle more places, but I know I'll probably die. :frown:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: lupi
The guy passed the bike then signaled to turn, continuing to ride up the line while the turning vehicle started to slow down would result in the rider being in violation just as if a motorcycle or another car did the same.

The guy passed the bike (OK by itself), braked for the turn and made an ILLEGAL merge/cut across the bike lane before ensuring that the vehicle to his right was clear. If the OP had been in the same lane as the SUV, he would have to slow down. In the bike lane, no.

Here's an example for you: There's an area here in Seattle which has the carpool lane on the right side of the road. Of course, that means that sometimes some guy in the right-hand non-carpool lane wants to exit, and so has to cross the carpool lane. By law they MUST ensure the lane is clear before they make their turn onto the exit ramp. Simple to understand.

Originally posted by: lupi
Car in front, car starts to signal, car then slows as turn approaches; you countinue to ride up on car, regardless of your method of travel, and strike the car then you would be cited. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Only if he was actually in the same lane as the car.

I can't believe you even have a license!

Originally posted by: slag

Only because the cops didn't see the incident, so they can't say for certain how much the following car was cut off or how much was made up later by someone trying to avoid responsibility. It's one of the weak spots in traffic law. Same reason why divorce court heavily favors the woman, even though there are many cases where it is heavily unfair.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec

Only because the cops didn't see the incident, so they can't say for certain how much the following car was cut off or how much was made up later by someone trying to avoid responsibility. It's one of the weak spots in traffic law. Same reason why divorce court heavily favors the woman, even though there are many cases where it is heavily unfair.

I believe if Jules had hit the guy he would have T-boned him, in which case it is clearly the car's fault and would be seen as such from any cop.

Same as when you are going straight but someone turns left and you Tbone them, just because you hit them doesn't mean they aren't at fault. They are because they were supposed to yield.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: MrPickins
Do you have to post about it every time you have a run in with (as you say) a cager?

Of course he does.

Makes him feel that much more superior then those of us who drive.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
If there is a bike lane, then it might as well be a regular lane of traffic. Say you're on a highway, two lanes going your way, and you're in the left lane. If you want to take an exit on the right, do you just swing on over and make your turn, expecting anyone in the right lane to yield to your majesty? Or do you check the right lane first to see if there's someone there, and move into the lane when you are able to?

I think that the SUV driver mentioned in the OP simply assumed that the bicyclist would yield to the greatness of the big mighty vehicle. The bike may be smaller, but as NeuroSynapsis posted, that bicycle has the same legal standing as a car (or a light truck in this case).

Do you have to post about it every time you have a run in with (as you say) a cager?
It is kind of sad that there are enough of them for you to complain. I will admit, I find it a bit of an inconvenient situation - we have roads which are shared by vehicles of two considerably different size and speed classes, with no good solution in sight. But for now, bicycles have the same rights to the road as cars do - the fact that the OP has so many difficulties is a sign of how arrogant and disrespectful many drivers are when it comes to others on the road, especially those on unmotorized vehicles.

It's shared by more than two different sizes and speed classes. My bicycle is the smallest and slowest, my motorcycle is small and is the fastest. Then comes a car, medium weight, medium speed. Then you have your semi's which can crush anything.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque

Of course he does.

Makes him feel that much more superior then those of us who drive.

Thanks for that useless post. You couldn't possibly be more wrong if you tried.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
Cyclists have the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle. The laws that govern cyclists are contained in the BC Motor Vehicle Act [RSBC 1996]. Certain sections of the Act are exclusively for cyclists and excerpts are provided below. Some jurisdictions in BC also have bylaws specifically for cyclists. It is wise to check with your local police department or municipality for cycling-specific bylaws in your area.

Motor Vehicle Act [RSBC 1996] Chapter 318 Part 3
Reproduced with permission of the Province of British Columbia.

Rights and duties of operator of cycle
183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.

(2) A person operating a cycle
(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless authorized by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,
(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless authorized to do so by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,
(c) must, subject to paragraph (a), ride as near as practicable to the right side of the highway,
(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,
(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle,
(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped, and
(h) must not ride a cycle on a highway where signs prohibit their use.

http://www.bikesense.bc.ca/appendices.htm#law

#2c bothers me.

I mean if its a real highway, where the bike is obviously going to be much slower than the rest of the traffic, sure. (As opposed to a road with traffic lights & people pulling off all over the place instead of clear exits).

But on normal roads, the bike lanes are almost always on the left, especially in major cities. (Well, if its a 2-way road, the bike lane is just right of the left-turn lane. If it's a 1-way street, the bike lane is on the left.)

In areas with parallel parking, you have to frequently swerve out of the way of opening car doors, and I'd say this happens about 4-5x more often on the right than on the left. Also, a biker on the left is more likely to be seen by a driver than one on the right.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Will we ever see the day when bicyclists and motor vehicles can get along in harmomy?

harmomy is overrated. harmony is where its at!

and yield to bikers, cleaning the blood off your car is awful.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Props to Jules for even posting this. I know the pain of posting the 'Some dick in an XYZ just cut me up' thread in OT.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

And bikers need to look for right turn signals.

When going 25 miles per hour? Bikes can't stop that fast, numbnuts.

Have you ever looked at the gpad results for your average car going 30mph?

Stfu smartass.

It has NOTHING to do with gpad results for cars. Road bikes are made for going fast, not for stopping. I guarantee a fully decked out lincoln navigator will be able to stop in less than 1/2 the distance as me on my road bike from 60 km/h. Probably more like 1/4.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Are cars supposed to yield to bikers?

In Jules' case, yes. If Jules' crashed into the explorer b/c the explorer took a right and cut him off, it would be no different than if Jules was in a car in car lane and the guy cut him off. The guy in the explorer would be at fault.

When a person driving wants to turn right, they get into the right most lane. If they try to turn right from the left lane, then they cut some one off and thats an asshole move.

Of course, it is impossible for a car to travel in the bike lane so they cannot be in the right most lane.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Are cars supposed to yield to bikers?

In Jules' case, yes. If Jules' crashed into the explorer b/c the explorer took a right and cut him off, it would be no different than if Jules was in a car in car lane and the guy cut him off. The guy in the explorer would be at fault.

When a person driving wants to turn right, they get into the right most lane. If they try to turn right from the left lane, then they cut some one off and thats an asshole move.

Of course, it is impossible for a car to travel in the bike lane so they cannot be in the right most lane.

And if a bike is in the bike lane, that car needs to yield to it if it plans on making a right turn; just like if it was in the left lane of a two lane road.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
passes me and immediately slows to make a right turn (at least the person was signalling-miracle). I'm in the bike lane going about 25mph and am quickly right alongside the vehicle. I saw the turn signal so I know this dolt is about to side swipe me so I start rapping on the windows with my left hand to let the driver know I was there. Fortunately it worked and the driver didn't turn until I had passed which was all of about 2 seconds.

Anyway, it left me thinking if I had done something wrong or if I could have done anything differently but it all happened so quickly I think I did the right thing. Still, I could see some hammerhead getting pissed because I tapped on the windows of his beloved crappy SUV.

Oh well, sometimes you just gotta do what you think is right. :p

my car is bigger than your bike.

u will bounce off.

i drive away barely noticing anything while i listen to the radio, drink my coffe, talk on my cell, and steer with my knee all at the same time.

either outrace me, or stop. cause i aint stopping cause i;m in a hurry to boot

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
passes me and immediately slows to make a right turn (at least the person was signalling-miracle). I'm in the bike lane going about 25mph and am quickly right alongside the vehicle. I saw the turn signal so I know this dolt is about to side swipe me so I start rapping on the windows with my left hand to let the driver know I was there. Fortunately it worked and the driver didn't turn until I had passed which was all of about 2 seconds.

Anyway, it left me thinking if I had done something wrong or if I could have done anything differently but it all happened so quickly I think I did the right thing. Still, I could see some hammerhead getting pissed because I tapped on the windows of his beloved crappy SUV.

Oh well, sometimes you just gotta do what you think is right. :p

my car is bigger than your bike.

u will bounce off.

i drive away barely noticing anything while i listen to the radio, drink my coffe, talk on my cell, and steer with my knee all at the same time.

either outrace me, or stop. cause i aint stopping cause i;m in a hurry to boot
My sarcasm meter just bent its needle. I'll be sending you a bill. Do you have Paypal?

Muttsta

May 18, 2003
It's kind of funny you mention this situation since this is exactly how I got sideswiped while bicycling in Nicaragua
Someone passed me and turned right without even looking at where I was, needless to say it wasn't fun
I wasn't injured fortunately, but the wheel of my bicycle was totaled
Police showed up but somehow determined it wasn't the drivers fault for not seeing me, that's Central America for you...