So I'm part cyborg now...

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
After a decade+ of hearing issues, the technology finally got to the point where I decided hearing aids were right for me. Phonak came out with some amazing technology this year, and Costco's Kirkland brand pretty much copied it for 1/4 the price, so I present to you the Kirkland Signature 10 hearing aids as shown by your sexy ear model....ME:

1620073511249.png

1620073392228.png

They're about the size of a nickel, and the thin wire you can barely see in the top photo goes into the ear canal with a custom-sized rubber plug on the end. They're rechargeable, last about 30-40 hours on a charge, and can connect to 2 bluetooth sources simultaneously.

Besides being able to hear things haven't heard in years- birds singing, keyboards clacking, chairs squeaking, brakes screeching, wife nagging, microwave chirping - it's crazy how much more engaged I feel with people now. I always subconsciously tried to avoid conversation because of constantly having to say "I'm sorry?" or someone repeating something 3x and I still can't understand what they said :( So, not only can I hear pretty well again, my ears have been upgraded with the following:

- I now hear all audio from my phone in my head. YouTube, streaming music, any alerts...my brain hears it and no one else.
- I can make and receive calls as well. If you see a guy just sitting there and suddenly talking to nobody, that's me getting a phone call.
- I can tap my right ear twice to activate Google Assistant and give it a command...ala Star Trek communicator pins. If you see a guy randomly asking questions to nobody, that's me again.
- I can set the app on my phone to focus on a person, the environment, music, TV, or noisy areas. Impressed at how well this works!
- They're IP67 waterproof, so they're good under 3ft of water for 30 minutes. Basically I can wear them in the rain or in the shower with no damage, but you shouldn't swim with them (obviously...)

So, for all you people out there that need hearing assistance, IT'S FINALLY HERE. The tech caught up to the need: go get yourself some 'aids!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My ears have held up surprisingly well so far. I started taking hearing protection more seriously a couple years ago. Figured my luck couldn't hold out forever. Glad you found some assistance that isn't a pita :^)

Reactions: Captante and Fritzo

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I considered getting something like those just to use as Bluetooth earpieces! They are a bit soendy just for that though.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I considered getting something like those just to use as Bluetooth earpieces! They are a bit soendy just for that though.

Honestly, I could see people that don't need hearing aids wanting these. They're like augmented reality for your ears! Biggest issue I've had so far is watching a video when I'm bored, someone starts talking to me, and I don't hear them :D

Reactions: WelshBloke

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My ears have held up surprisingly well so far. I started taking hearing protection more seriously a couple years ago. Figured my luck couldn't hold out forever. Glad you found some assistance that isn't a pita :^)

Yeah, I was stupid when I was younger- playing rock star in front of Marshall stacks because I couldn't afford a monitor amp, loud kitchen blowers, loud factory equipment, and a genetic predisposition to hearing loss...it didn't end well. I have severe to profound loss about 1000Hz, so pretty much any high pitched voices are gibberish.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Cost? Probably need them but my fam insists on talking to me when they're walking away. I'm perfectly happy making up what I thought they said.
They were $1399 out the door (no tax, exam included). I went to an audiologist and the Phonak P-90 versions of these were going to be $5400...with a 2 year warranty. The Kirkland's have a 3 year warranty and are literally identical.

Reactions: highland145

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
They were $1399 out the door (no tax, exam included). I went to an audiologist and the Phonak P-90 versions of these were going to be $5400...with a 2 year warranty. The Kirkland's have a 3 year warranty and are literally identical.
Each or for the pair?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Trade off...$1400 vs messing with the family.... ;)

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

very nice

my dad has needed these things for over a decade... for that price maybe i just get them for a combo bday-fathersday-christmas present

Reactions: Fritzo

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
After a decade+ of hearing issues, the technology finally got to the point where I decided hearing aids were right for me. Phonak came out with some amazing technology this year, and Costco's Kirkland brand pretty much copied it for 1/4 the price, so I present to you the Kirkland Signature 10 hearing aids as shown by your sexy ear model....ME:

View attachment 43873

View attachment 43872

They're about the size of a nickel, and the thin wire you can barely see in the top photo goes into the ear canal with a custom-sized rubber plug on the end. They're rechargeable, last about 30-40 hours on a charge, and can connect to 2 bluetooth sources simultaneously.

Besides being able to hear things haven't heard in years- birds singing, keyboards clacking, chairs squeaking, brakes screeching, wife nagging, microwave chirping - it's crazy how much more engaged I feel with people now. I always subconsciously tried to avoid conversation because of constantly having to say "I'm sorry?" or someone repeating something 3x and I still can't understand what they said :( So, not only can I hear pretty well again, my ears have been upgraded with the following:

- I now hear all audio from my phone in my head. YouTube, streaming music, any alerts...my brain hears it and no one else.
- I can make and receive calls as well. If you see a guy just sitting there and suddenly talking to nobody, that's me getting a phone call.
- I can tap my right ear twice to activate Google Assistant and give it a command...ala Star Trek communicator pins. If you see a guy randomly asking questions to nobody, that's me again.
- I can set the app on my phone to focus on a person, the environment, music, TV, or noisy areas. Impressed at how well this works!
- They're IP67 waterproof, so they're good under 3ft of water for 30 minutes. Basically I can wear them in the rain or in the shower with no damage, but you shouldn't swim with them (obviously...)

So, for all you people out there that need hearing assistance, IT'S FINALLY HERE. The tech caught up to the need: go get yourself some 'aids!
It's a life changing event. I still remember the day I first got them about 6 years back.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have a synthetic patch inside my heart to fix an ASD and metal holding my sternum together.

Reactions: BoomerD

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Not cyborg if you can take them off to take a shower, etc.

Now my wife is a true cyborg. Recently had cataract surgery and lenses implanted in her eyes, one to correct the astigmatism in the one eye that had it. She has worn glasses since the 8th grade, and has now thrown them away.

Reactions: pcgeek11 and Fritzo