So, I'm looking to get an msoffice certification

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
I'm getting positioned to move up to a new position in a company I formerly worked for, but I know that I need to get some familiarization with Access. I've worked a few helpdesk jobs and a novell network internship years ago(only remember the down command, the only command I knew going in). I know my way around a pc, but never really had cause to use Access and I believe the extent of my database usage was setting up some mail merges for kicks.

So I need to familiarize myself with Access and some basic scripting for searching a sql database. I know that I'll probably do most of my learning on the job and I'll do it quickly, but I need to be familiar with it to get in the door. And I figure there's no better way to do that than to pick up an office cert. I think they used to be called MOUS, but looks like they are MCAP's now? They're still on 2003(pretty sure, going to verify with my contact) so I'll focus on that, although I think my university gives us 07 for free so we'll see.

So, anyone familiar with the test or the prep? Got any advice? I'm going to get some more details of what the day to day knowledge I'm going to need will be from my contact. I figure it'll be a little tough without an actual environment to work in, but I'm going to try to git in a few weekends of studying on top of my work and classes and try to crap it out pretty quick.

Thanks

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
As much as I want to make fun of you, it looks like you have a solid plan.
I would also recommend that you download trials of 2007 and find a copy of 2003
and play with them to your hearts content.

Also, try using sql express 2005 and some sample data if you need to.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
There are certs for Office Programs? Sheesh. What's the point of one of those?
*DELETES COMPLETELY NASTY AND INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT ABOUT BJs, Secretariat, and the Kentucky Derby:laugh:*

Seriously though, OPs trying to learn something relevant to their job and you can't fault them for that...

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
I took a Microsoft Access class at my local junior college. It started at the beginning basically, and laid out everything. It was pretty thorough.

No certificate was obtained, but plenty of knowledge was had.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
There are certs for Office Programs? Sheesh. What's the point of one of those?
*DELETES COMPLETELY NASTY AND INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT ABOUT BJs, Secretariat, and the Kentucky Derby:laugh:*

Seriously though, OPs trying to learn something relevant to their job and you can't fault them for that...

hey now, different strokes for different folks! Lost of people want to become super great at office applications, and in my experience, i say CONGRATULATIONS SUPER SECRETARY!

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
I really don't think you would need the certification. If you are really just out to learn Access, pick up some books, they have an Access for Dummies book. It will more than get you started on learning it. You can pick up several books for the price of the certification exam.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
I may avoid the cert, but it seems like a good way to stick it on the resume. I realize it's not a ccna or cisp, but they aren't going to help me. A large chunk of the job is going to be analyzing trends in the database to optimize efficiency, and I need to be able to use access to get the data I need. I'll post some more up detail on the exactly what I'm going to have to review once I pry it out of my friend.

I left my last company to move to go back to school part time to finish up my degree and am working for a smaller contract on an account for my previous employer. Right now it's just become apparent that I'm overqualified and over experienced for my position but there is no room for advancement at this little company. So I'm getting myself ready to move back to my original employer at a step up, and possibly even to do a lot of working from home to get school done quicker.

Goose - way to tie secretariat into the insult, points for creativity

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
I'm taking an access class right now, if you know the basic of a database you can pick up on it real quick, just do what others have said and get a book and learn it like that, I personally wouldn't waste the time and money on the class, I'm only taking it for credits (and possible job advancement)

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
So a little follow up, day to day I need to

"Query basics:

Need to be able to join and link tables. Need to understand relationships between tables. Understand how to set filters (blank records, thresholds, mins, max) . Understand how to calculate unique records/remove duplicates. Understand how to be able to count, sum fields.

Learn how to create different queries and how they are useful: delete, append, update queries.

reports:

Be able to generate and modify reports based off of queries (honestly I typically export to excel for reports)

Macros:

be able to create macros to automatically run queries/reports

It might be worthwhile to make up your own database. We had to do one in college. create a table of customers and address, a table of available products, and a table of orders. then be able to link and report on the aggregate data."

And honestly I think learning a little sql scripting wouldn't hurt.

Still not sure what book/cert I need to be looking at though.