So I'm having a disagreement with my doctor over my treatment of sleep apnea

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
He is making the right decision. He knows about this drug more than you, but besides that, why you would go from no treatment to a double pronged approach at the same time is beyond me, not to mention that the CPAP (I think) has no negative side effects, whereas every drug ever created does.

You've been with this for years, why not try it piecemeal?

--

Now reading the thread, glad to see msarusac & dethman say the same :)

And Viper GTS because he is always patently reasonable :heart:

Excessive drinking also contributes to sleep problems pretty noticeably, BTW.

Hell yeah it does. I know somebody with SA and it's a crazy thing, but he refuses to treat it even though it substantially impacts his life.

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I've been prescribed Provigil before. My issues weren't entirely caused by apnea, but I thought I'd throw out a few comments:

1. Suppposedly the Air Force or something uses this to keep pilots awake or aware - I'm sure on people without sleep issues it has a huge effect, but when it comes to people that have sleep problems, don't expect a panacea
2. If you go see another doctor and push for it, they'll probably give it to you, but you will probably be pretty disappointed
3. In the long run, your body develops tolerance, and instead of having treated the problem you'll just need more medication to treat the symptoms

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
by NOT using CPAP, it may destroy your sex life, your gf/wife won't sleep with you because of your snoring.

Obligatory disclaimer: sucks to be you.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: AZGamer
2. If you go see another doctor and push for it, they'll probably give it to you,

That's almost criminal.

The entire reason why we're having so much trouble with antibiotic-resistant bacteria is due to the over-prescription of medication, in large part due to patients pushing for it over the advice of their doctors.

So because Billy's mom wanted useless pills for his viral cold, someone has to pay the price.

Maybe if a patient DEMANDS a drug for long enough, they should give it to them, but make them sign a paper waiving their right to all medical treatment in the future. OK, that's a little too extreme, but still!

I know this isn't quite the same situation, but it still irks me. Your body isn't suited to the lifestyle you want to enjoy. Medical science doesn't owe it to you to let you party all night without any inconveniences.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Those pills aren't going to work. Your doctor is right. It's nothing to do with any opinions on drug use. The pills are for sleepiness, but moderate to severe sleep apnea needs other treatment. The machine is to relieve the sleep apnea, with which you will not need the pills. Get a good sleep with the machine,what then would you need wake up pills for? You won't. And you can rest better knowing that the machine decreases at the least, and eliminates at the most, the chance Sleep Apnea caused death. Use the machine.