So im getting upgraded to 500/500 Mbps interweb today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
I've had 1,000/1,000 for about 2 years now. I like that I don't have to worry about the speed or usage anymore. Before this, I had 15/1 and that was sometimes too slow if I was downloading/uploading and wanted to do something else at the same time. I doubt at 80/80 you were all that restricted before. So 500/500 are just higher numbers with higher margin of safety.
It was because the capless Gigabit service that finally led me to get Netflix. Good thing, too, considering how much streaming the wife and i do separately and together. No way would we been able to do that only our past service, with Comcast, where they had 300GB caps that I could easily have exceeded every month.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
It was because the capless Gigabit service that finally led me to get Netflix. Good thing, too, considering how much streaming the wife and i do separately and together. No way would we been able to do that only our past service, with Comcast, where they had 300GB caps that I could easily have exceeded every month.

Are you sure Comcast still has a 300GB cap ?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Comcast had been testing a 300 gigabyte monthly data cap. That's equivalent to about 100 hours of HD movies on Netflix. But the company found some extra capacity in its couch cushions. It's now opting to give its customers 1 terabyte (1,000 gigabytes) instead.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Comcast had been testing a 300 gigabyte monthly data cap. That's equivalent to about 100 hours of HD movies on Netflix. But the company found some extra capacity in its couch cushions. It's now opting to give its customers 1 terabyte (1,000 gigabytes) instead.

That what Cox Cable use to have thankfully we left them for fiber!

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I was at 80/80 before. What can I do with all that speed that I couldn't do before?

back up your entire harddrive to the cloud faster.

On a side note, having high speed does not neccessarily mean that you will be experiencing highspeed, even if you are the only one using the internet at the time in your area. It all depends how much datalink speed can your device wirless interface or your NAT as well as other hardware components can handle. Try to download something, and you will see your CPU spike.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
back up your entire harddrive to the cloud faster.

On a side note, having high speed does not neccessarily mean that you will be experiencing highspeed, even if you are the only one using the internet at the time in your area. It all depends how much datalink speed can your device wirless interface or your NAT as well as other hardware components can handle. Try to download something, and you will see your CPU spike.
You actually did not say anything new!!

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
All set up now. I get ~200/200 over wireless using a mesh system. 500/500 on the pc connected via cat5 directly.

My brother runs a Plex server. His uplaod sucks and i sometimes have problems watching when multiple users in our group are trying to access his server. So we decided to have the server at my house and he will just manage it remotely. Shouldn't be any more problems with multiple users anymore...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
When they put in data caps my usage went up. If they're going to treat transfer like a limited resource then I am as well. Used to use about 600 GB/month, now I'm trying to get within ~20 GB of the cap.

Last edited:

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
All set up now. I get ~200/200 over wireless using a mesh system. 500/500 on the pc connected via cat5 directly.

My brother runs a Plex server. His uplaod sucks and i sometimes have problems watching when multiple users in our group are trying to access his server. So we decided to have the server at my house and he will just manage it remotely. Shouldn't be any more problems with multiple users anymore...

I get 540/580 Mbps over wireless.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Be wary of caps. I think Comcast was notorious for increasing internet speeds but keeping bandwidth caps the same.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
When they put in data caps my usage went up. If they're going to treat transfer like a limited resource then I am as well. Used to use about 600 GB/month, now I'm trying to get within ~20 GB of the cap.

I guess I'm lucky in that Comcast doesn't impose their cap in my state, as they are the only choice I have for an ISP...

1581346847327.png

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I'll let you in on a secret though, "It's not what you have, but how you use it."

This is me with my friends shared 400/20. But when we had the 100, we had issues cause a friend who was staying with us would hog up the bandwidth constantly. On his cheap wifi stick,he eventually couldn't cap 200mb so now plenty of bandwidth for 3 people. :)

Personally i have used a 10mb dsl service before and found it plenty usable. It's the second anyone else starts using it then you realize you may want more. I found myself constantly stuck in games like WOT at 999ms ping cause 2 other people decided to watch hulu in a middle of a match.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003

Upload for Plex is my biggest issue.. i didn't notice much difference when my d/l speed jumped from 200 to 450mb.. my upload so I can stream content is a lot more important at this point.

Reactions: Muadib
Nov 20, 2009
Past tense. At the time I switched, a couple of years ago now, that was the case. They weren't actively seeking people out, but if during a customer complaint they found someone on the same leg of the network that was exceeding it regularly then they would send nastygram. As an employee, the then recent network upgrades by AT&T meant I could option for $0 their 1/Gig symmetric capless service vs. the $65 Comcast 24 Mbps 300GB capped service. I have no idea what Comcast is doing now and don't really care. Even at the AT&T non-employee pricing of $80 its service was way better than what Comcast was offering at the time.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I've had gig up and down for about 4 years now, it's pretty glorious. No bandwidth limits, and I move a lot of data back and forth at madgenius.com. I would be hard pressed to have to go back to coax speeds. The last 2 places i've lived the first thing I checked was if it was in a fiber area, if not, I skipped the house, hahahaha. :|