So I'm endeavoring to teach myself Common Lisp. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by irishScott, Jan 31, 2013.

1. irishScott

irishScott Lifer

Been on my bucket list for some time, and Barnes and Noble has a 15% off Valentine's Day coupon, so I ordered Land Of Lisp (http://www.landoflisp.com/#yt).

Any recommendations/good references?

2. Net

Net Golden Member

clojure is pretty popular right now. it's a dialect of the lisp language. if you haven't started down common lisp yet you might want to see if you would want to learn clojure instead. it runs on the jvm so you can use the java api also. people are using it. http://dev.clojure.org/display/community/Clojure+Success+Stories

#2 Net, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. irishScott

irishScott Lifer

Perhaps at some point, but I've always wanted to learn lisp just out of academic curiosity than anything else.

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

I would second learning Clojure. Functional programming has taken on an approach to concurrency that common lisp just never had and never will. Clojure is a more modern, usable lisp dialect that deals with concurrency. You will learn all the same lessons that lisp can teach in clojure plus a lot more with modern tools. Its just not worth learning common lisp as the first lisp today.

5. dave_the_nerd

You jutht haf tho rememberth tho puth your thoung bethween your theeth whenever you make a consthonanth thound.

6. Broheim

Broheim Diamond Member

I've personally never played around with lisp but there is a guy at work that does customisation of autodesk products for us (using lisp), I can ask him the next time I see him (if I remember, that's a pretty big if though).