so I was on Utube again....

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The tax system in the US favors the people who know how to use the loopholes.

It does not matter if you are rich or poor, if you know how to work the system, then you can lower your tax burden.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
It's called Cheating.

It is pretty funny seeing Obama say nearly word for word the words of one of the most revered republican presidents ever.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Texas you must of flunked math...

Let's see a rich billionaire that has millions to lose ... vs poor ass minimum wage worker that has what a few hundred bucks to lose?

Tell me again how it doesn't matter if your rich or poor?

Rich people don't know how the system works any more than a poor person, but what the rich person does is hire a bunch of layers so that they can look though millions of documents to hide cash and dump it into different accounts. Tho, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know about all the loop holes, tho, I did say I went to church (even tho I didn't) just to get the minimum % in tax money back! No one checked that so I guess that is a loop hole, you can use it! :) See, God really is good for something.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Texas you must of flunked math...

Let's see a rich billionaire that has millions to lose ... vs poor ass minimum wage worker that has what a few hundred bucks to lose?

Tell me again how it doesn't matter if your rich or poor?

Knowing how to work the system is up to the person.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So sick of people saying pay their fair share. Just say you want them to pay more.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Knowing how to work the system is up to the person.

If the stuff being done to " work the system " isn't illegal, it's only because they haven't made it illegal. If you're seeking out "loop holes" to evade taxes, you're a tax evader.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
If the stuff being done to " work the system " isn't illegal, it's only because they haven't made it illegal. If you're seeking out "loop holes" to evade taxes, you're a tax evader.

So knowing which deductions you can take, how to take them, and how to file makes someone a "tax evader"? Interesting.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
the rich generally have CPAs to work the system for them, the don't have to know how to 'work the system' themselves.

If you want something in life, there are twos ways to get it - get it yourself, or have someone get it for you.

If someone can not afford to hire a CPA or tax lawyer, that means they have to do it themselves.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So knowing which deductions you can take, how to take them, and how to file makes someone a "tax evader"? Interesting.

The problem is that not many poor people have anything to deduct. Why not just have flat income tax, no deductions whatsoever?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So sick of people saying pay their fair share. Just say you want them to pay more.

Well when a group that earns 43% of all income pays only 21% of all taxes, I actually do want them to pay their "fair share". Not half of what would be their fair share.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
If you want something in life, there are twos ways to get it - get it yourself, or have someone get it for you.

If someone can not afford to hire a CPA or tax lawyer, that means they have to do it themselves.

Have you leafed through the Internal Revenue Code recently? Most people with Ph.D's will have trouble understanding it. Lawyers get a special second degree called an L.L.M. just to specialize in taxation.

You seriously have to be kidding here.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Young people today shouldn't marry . The little woman can go on welfare and foodstamps and get medical ass. While the Boy friend brings in the real money .

100s of thousands are doing this now and is becoming the norm. So ya the rich need to pay more so the middle class can STEAL the lower classes Welfare and foodstamp so that in the end no one gets anything they don't WORK for.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Have you leafed through the Internal Revenue Code recently? Most people with Ph.D's will have trouble understanding it. Lawyers get a special second degree called an L.L.M. just to specialize in taxation.

Nobody said you had to be an expert.

Not kidding at all.

Well when a group that earns 43% of all income pays only 21% of all taxes, I actually do want them to pay their "fair share". Not half of what would be their fair share.

What makes you think they are not paying their fair share?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

I don' think anyone can dispute that, but I see that issue as separate. Just because someone does have the resources to employ a CPA to do their taxes does not make them a tax evader as someone else pointed out, as long as the code is followed to the letter.

Seems like people are suggesting the wealthy shouldn't have the right to do this. Change the tax code then, rather than make some arbitrary rule that those who have more money than you can't use existing lawful tax codes, or loopholes if you prefer.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Seems like people are suggesting the wealthy shouldn't have the right to do this. Change the tax code then, rather than make some arbitrary rule that those who have more money than you can't use existing lawful tax codes, or loopholes if you prefer.

There seems to be a mindset that write offs are only for the wealthy.

I know lots of people that run small businesses out of their home and write all kinds of stuff off. They keep a notebook in their truck, and keep mileage every time they drive their vehicle. One guy I knew years ago worked a full time job at a welding shop, and ran a bulldozer service on the side, he wrote all kinds of stuff off.

I know people that own land and use their small farm as a tax write off. Fuel for the tractor, seeds, farm plates for their truck,,,,,.

Some people get magnetic signs for their cars or truck to advertise their business, then write the mileage off as advertising expenses.

But some some reason you need to be an expert, a lawyer or a CPA to write stuff off your taxes?

Like a guy told me years ago, if you are not running at least 1 small business out of your home, your are stupid.

Last edited:

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The video in the OP is obviously highly edited, I'd like to see the full extent of Reagan's speech. Very amusing, though.