So I was looking on the Polls of the Medieval 2 Launch bar

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
And I saw a question I could not believe my eyes was true!

"Do you think a pausable real-time campaign would be fun in a Total War game?"

Hell yes! I voted yes, and I think that if anyone could implement that in this type of game, it would definitely, 100% be Creative Assembly. This has been done in the past, but Creative Assembly could and would do it better, more efficiently, and more streamlined. It would make the rest of the RTS market thrice as competitive, and would spruce up and provide an innovative face that would not be seen since Rome (or Empire[?]-depending). I hope they do implement this idea, if not in Empire, then in the next revolutionary phase of Total War, which is two titles (so a couple years) away.

I'd strongly be in favor of this, what do you guys think?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'd be opposed. The basic gameplay mechanics are the TW games are perfect as is. Why mess with them? Turn based methods work better for strategic civilization building games regardless.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Well, I found that Turn based only works so well, and I'd like to see some more innovating on CA's part. I think the turn based is alright, but it's boring...I'd rather have everything be going all the time, and you know, I could zoom in, like Supreme Commander, on one city, check it out, fight multiple battles, zooming in one, zooming out, zooming on another, all with my middle mouse button!

I think that would be an awesome experiences.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I voted for turn-based.

One of the things I enjoy about the game now is the fact that I can plan and think about my strategy.

If it was real-time, all the thinking and strategy would go out the window in favor of being as fast as you can.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Pause button? This idea that RTS games have to make you rush rush is a huge misconception, right now, RTS games for the most part are like that, but it is quite possible to have an RTS that requires thinking. Knights of Honor was an RTS, and it incorporated the exact same ideas the Total War, with a campaign map. Think is, it was too slow, and the production values were less than wanted. But it was a success, because it incorporated both mechanics successfully. The game press ignored it because it didn't have teh graphics, but I'd slate it as one of the most innovative games I have played, made by a studio that made a game too advanced for it's time.