So... I wake up to my 16-yr old daughter screaming 'Someone help me!" at 3am...

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I race out of bed into her room to find her crouching in front of her 30 gallon aquarium shouting... I'm a bit confused and start to put on the brakes and both feet go out from under me... land flat on my back cracking my head on the hardwood floor... which is covered with water... cracks had developed all over the front of the aquarium and water was leaking out... guess which room is right under her's? Yup... Geoff's Computer Hardware Emporium... terrified at the thought of the front of the aquarium giving way and 30 gallons of water pouring out over her floor (that's a freakin' LOT of water!), we do the bucket brigade and get the water down to a couple of inches, then get the fish out (they're in a bucket in the water that was in the tank), then finish emptying out the tank... one of the cats was nowhere to be found, but he showed up this morning... got the water all mopped up... only a few drops into the basement... can't move my head from side to side very much today... Let me tell you... nothing wakes you up faster than one of your kids screaming for help in the middle of the night!

*sigh*

Geoff

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Ouch, I can imagine what it was like for you.
Take it easy with your head & neck - you might want to get something from your doc.

I know of one thing that wakes you up faster, but you never want to go there.
A long time ago, when in laws were living with us one of them had an accidental firearm discharge that was pretty ugly. Believe me that wakes you right up.

Having 6 children age between 5 - 17 I've experienced the screaming child in the middle of the night on multiple occasions. Also the freaked out mom who just found out our teen age daughter was not in the house at 4 AM (that one was just a few months ago) and a few other gems.

Family... priceless.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't hear gunfire enough to recognize it right off... when we were living in an appt in Montreal, we were on a raised first floor, so that the basement appts had ground level windows. One night, an irate exboyfriend of our downstairs neighbour visited and fired two shotgun blasts through the basement windows... scared the sh!t out of us!

Can't imagine what the fallout of no daughter in the house at 4am was! Holy crap!

Geoff

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Man..... gotta love nights like that! Glad it all worked out. Rest that head man!

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
wow
Hope you are alright there Geoff,those hardwood floors don't have a lot of give to them.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks guys... so I tell this story to my eldest (19), and his response is "Why didn't you break the fall like we practice at jiu-jitsu?" lol... let's see... still 90% asleep... in a panic over my daughter screaming for help in our new home... not expecting a layer of water on the floor... lol... Advil is helping out the neck at the moment... supposed to ref an ice hockey game tonight... we'll see how that goes!

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Why didn't you break the fall like we practice at jiu-jitsu?"
Geoffs, you need more training/practice. That stuff is supposed to happen automatically, without thinking, no matter what the situation. :p

;);)

Seriously, glad you were able to take care of the tank before it flooded the PC room. And here's hoping there isn't anything seriously wrong with your neck other than a little soreness. :)

Take it easy on it.

Had to take the daugher (18 yrs) to the emergency room Sunday night around 11 with severe abdominal pain. They finally released her at 5:30am, got to sleep at 6am. Tests were negative for anything serious, they called it a flu, gave her some meds for cramping, and sent her home. This after working our butts off getting ready for the prom that was on Saturday, and the after-prom party at our house afterwards, kids crashed here too, so I was up until 4:30am on Sunday.

Needless to say, I called off work Monday so I could get some sleep. Can't pull those all-nighters like I used too, takes me a lot longer to recover.

Kids. Gotta love em. :D

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Can't imagine what the fallout of no daughter in the house at 4am was! Holy crap!

Yeah - serious "Holy crap!" - it all worked out but it wasn't fun. Some teenagers definitely cause more stess & heartburn than others.

Oh, and the gunshot thing - other than a hole in our overstuffed chair and a bunch of clean up done by me and a great deal of stress for everyone in the home at the time... the one who did it blew a big hole in his hand & I was the "first responder". At least there was no physical damage to anyone except the one who was handling the firearm.
I don't think you really have to be familiar with the sound to know what it is when a gun is shot within 20 feet of where you are sleeping. Especially something like a 45. I'm the type that responds to these things very quickly so I was on the spot & administering first aid pretty much before any bodily fluids hit the floor.
The inlaws moved out to their own place soon after the incident.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: GeoffS
I race out of bed into her room to find her crouching in front of her 30 gallon aquarium shouting... I'm a bit confused and start to put on the brakes and both feet go out from under me... land flat on my back cracking my head on the hardwood floor... which is covered with water... cracks had developed all over the front of the aquarium and water was leaking out... guess which room is right under her's? Yup... Geoff's Computer Hardware Emporium... terrified at the thought of the front of the aquarium giving way and 30 gallons of water pouring out over her floor (that's a freakin' LOT of water!), we do the bucket brigade and get the water down to a couple of inches, then get the fish out (they're in a bucket in the water that was in the tank), then finish emptying out the tank... one of the cats was nowhere to be found, but he showed up this morning... got the water all mopped up... only a few drops into the basement... can't move my head from side to side very much today... Let me tell you... nothing wakes you up faster than one of your kids screaming for help in the middle of the night!

*sigh*

Geoff

Glad you're OK.

Why did the tank suddenly start leaking and how did she discocover it at 3 am???

What did she do?

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dennis - lol... yup more training for sure! :p

Dave - The tank had a crack in it to begin with... the previous owner stated it had been there the whole 5 years she had used the tank with no problems... alas its luck ran out... My daughter doesn't know what made her wake up, she just did... the tank was down about 1/4 inch which was all over the floor, when I got in there she had her hands up against where the biggest leaks were... there were cracks right across the front of the tank, but the glass panel didn't give... why it didn't give is beyond me! I suspect her keeping pressure on the front made all the difference! Then we got the bucket brigade and emptied out the tank VERY quickly! lol...

Geoff

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I used to keep aquariums, and that was my worst nightmare. It's good that the situation wasn't worse, and I hope your neck shapes up quickly.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
lol! Great advice! :beer: Of course, I don't think my calls will be very consistent when I referee that ice hockey game tonight! I can just hear me saying "Nope my eyes are just fine... just can't turn my head... " lol...

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Sorry man, falling sucks anytime but half asleep sounds the worst.

he worst we have had this week was my son sliding down the stairs and getting a nail in his foot, its got a red stripe thats wrapped around his foot and up his ankle.

I hope you feel better soon.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I had to give up the aquarium - the cat found it too fasinating :p

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Ugh. I had a situation a bit like this one yesterday morning. Woke up at 5 to the sound of Liz puking. Not that horrible, because it happens due to allergies & sinus drainage. Well, then it happended again at 6, 7, 8, and 10. Called medical, appointment at 1. Went in then, and then ended up giving her nearly 3 IV bags. She's doing much better, and able to hold down crackers now...

How's your neck doing after two days??? Getting better quickly, I hope.