So I quit drinking soda again....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Four days so far, still fighting the cravings.... Lets see if I can past two months this time.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I still drink some diet sodas, but I've slowly integrated seltzer water in there. Plus, I live near two grocery stores and one of them always has a dirt cheap special.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The computer I'm going to build in two or three years. Actually the Tea mix and willpower, and the fact I do want to quit.

Ok, I'm not sure what your into, but for me....ignoring cravings when I quit things are easier when it's replaced with something, like you're saying. Personally, I find exercise to divert the attention well. Want soda? Do push ups until cravings are gone!

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I quit drinking soda a few times a year. The problem I have is that soda is the simplest way to get caffiene into my system. So if I have a late soccer game or a LAN party or a tournament I power through it with a few sodas. After i have a day like that it takes me a while to quit again.

I just really, really enjoy soda, so much so that having a good one can literally be the highlight of my day. It's not something I ever want to give up completely.

It's also super cheap... like ridiculously cheap if you're purchasing at a grocery store. Anywhere else it's stupid expensive.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I quit drinking soda a few times a year. The problem I have is that soda is the simplest way to get caffiene into my system. So if I have a late soccer game or a LAN party or a tournament I power through it with a few sodas. After i have a day like that it takes me a while to quit again.

I just really, really enjoy soda, so much so that having a good one can literally be the highlight of my day. It's not something I ever want to give up completely.

It's also super cheap... like ridiculously cheap if you're purchasing at a grocery store. Anywhere else it's stupid expensive.
Even the cheap stuff adds up if you drink a lot of it.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I quit drinking soda pop like 10+ years ago. Haven't touched a drop since.
I quit eating gluten and milk products a few months ago. That by far is much harder than quitting soda pop. At least for me it is...

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Even the cheap stuff adds up if you drink a lot of it.

I guess... But replacing it with something else wont really be any cheaper if you drink the same amount. (unless water but who can do that?)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I guess... But replacing it with something else wont really be any cheaper if you drink the same amount. (unless water but who can do that?)
Tea is still way cheaper. I'm drinking a Tea drink mix that is way cheaper. And I'm actually drinking less.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I kind of have the same problem, but with coffee.. lol. I've drank mostly coffee brewed at home lately though since I don't have to drive into work each day. Saves a ton on gas and coffee to wfh.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Well they do have a great deal more caffeine in them, but how many do you drink a day?

About 6.5 per week (one per day during the week, sometimes on the weekend, and at most 2 on a bad day during the week).

I drink the low-carb monster (blue), so that is only 25 calories. That strikes me as better than regular soda (less calories + B vitamins) and while there is more caffeine, it is less than coffee.

I've googled all the ingredients and looked for explanations as to why energy drinks are so bad, but I've never found anything solid other than that people misuse them (drinking them when working out - which you shouldn't do with coffee or soda either) or drinking so many in a short time period that you get a caffeine overload (which you also shouldn't do with coffee or soda).

The full sugar energy drinks are probably objectively worse than regular soda (all the sugar + more caffeine), but comparing a "diet" energy drink to soda seems "differently bad" to me (sugar v. caffeine) not worse.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
About 6.5 per week (one per day during the week, sometimes on the weekend, and at most 2 on a bad day during the week).

I drink the low-carb monster (blue), so that is only 25 calories. That strikes me as better than regular soda (less calories + B vitamins) and while there is more caffeine, it is less than coffee.

I've googled all the ingredients and looked for explanations as to why energy drinks are so bad, but I've never found anything solid other than that people misuse them (drinking them when working out - which you shouldn't do with coffee or soda either) or drinking so many in a short time period that you get a caffeine overload (which you also shouldn't do with coffee or soda).

The full sugar energy drinks are probably objectively worse than regular soda (all the sugar + more caffeine), but comparing a "diet" energy drink to soda seems "differently bad" to me (sugar v. caffeine) not worse.
Well one a day most likely wouldn't hurt you, but how is your diet otherwise? Most of the folks who misused them also had very poor diets.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kind of have the same problem, but with coffee.. lol. I've drank mostly coffee brewed at home lately though since I don't have to drive into work each day. Saves a ton on gas and coffee to wfh.

I sort of replaced pop with coffee but at first I was either buying coffee at work (keurig pods) or going to Tim Hortons. I figured on average I was spending AT LEAST $2/day on coffee. So I started to brew my own at home at very least. Now I brew at home and bring to work. I find the drip machine coffee tastes way better than keurig too - even if I use a reusable pod with my own grounds.

The key to quitting anything is to have a viable replacement though. People who say "Drink water" don't understand that people who drink pop etc probably DO drink water, but pop is for when you want to "sit down and have a drink". You want something extra than just water. Some people have a beer, some people have a pop. So once you can figure out a drink to sit down with and enjoy then you can phase out the pop. I went from Pepsi to club soda to coffee. Now the only issue with coffee is I can only have it if I don't plan on going anywhere, and if it's far enough from my bed time, since it makes me pee a lot, but it works out ok. I do end up drinking more water than I did before so I've found a decent balance. Also speaking of drinking more water, it's well worth getting an under sink filter system. No more messing with britas or water cooler bottle replacements. You just have good tasting water straight from the tap. I just fill a jug and put it in the fridge and refill as needed.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I drink unsweet tea, water, and beer mostly. Occasionally, a real coke or diet mountain dew (when pepsi products are the only ones available). When I say occasionally, that means once or twice a month...just depends on if I hit up a fast foot place and need a carbonated beverage to cut grease. Coke has the minute maid lemonade drink that's 5 calories....yeah...artificial sweeteners, but I usually cut it 60/40% with water and dilute those 5 calories per serving down... I don't like artificial sweeteners and when I make tea, I buy the family sized Luzianne bags and throw 4 bags per gallon. I boil 4 quarts of water, drop in the family-sized tea bags for 3-5 minutes....let the tea cool on the stove and pour it into a pitcher for chilling. It's good stuff and I drink it plain... I typically go through 2 gallons a week unless I'm working outside or something. My wife's started drinking it unsweet too... Much better for you than that processed junk.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Well one a day most likely wouldn't hurt you, but how is your diet otherwise? Most of the folks who misused them also had very poor diets.

Not that bad comparatively, although there is certainly room for improvement. I usually manage to have at least a well-balanced dinner. I consume too many calories in junk food and could use more exercise, but I've managed to hold my weight consistent for the last decade or so.

I'm probably about 30 pounds overweight - I used to wear size 30-31 pants in high school but grew to size 33-34 by the end of college. There has been a few times 34 started to get a bit tight but I always manage to cut out enough junk food and/or step up on exercise when that happens to make sure I never go over.

Someday I might cut out the energy drinks. A couple of times (usually more for the money) I've cut back to "days when I really need it," but after a month or two I start picking up frequency to almost daily, because I actually enjoy the taste.

Maybe I'll take a a cue from OP and give it another run.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So it has been five days so far and the cravings are starting to lessen but not by much.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Soda is the only thing I can't quit. I've given it up a couple of times for a few months, but went right back to it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When I was checking out at the store yesterday, the guy in front of me who I'd guess weighed at least 350 pounds was buying what looked to be at least twenty 32oz bottles of Gatorade... I was pondering whether he was aware of their sugar/caloric content.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ok, I'm not sure what your into, but for me....ignoring cravings when I quit things are easier when it's replaced with something, like you're saying. Personally, I find exercise to divert the attention well. Want soda? Do push ups until cravings are gone!

Sublimating your desires to something else is a great idea. Him working toward a goal of a computer will help, but, find something better to direct your desires to works far more often.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Sublimating your desires to something else is a great idea. Him working toward a goal of a computer will help, but, find something better to direct your desires to works far more often.
Well I need a new computer in about three years anyway.... But I'm also saving up for hearing aids and a new mattress.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Well I need a new computer in about three years anyway.... But I'm also saving up for hearing aids and a new mattress.

Those are goals. What I'm taking about it's what Cheese does which is to channel you desires. For example, if you have a bad habit because it is how you reduce stress, find a productive habit.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
old roommate of mine would drink 24 dr. peppers each day. We had a huge garbage can to throw them into. I'm sure he is dead now.